“Not bad at all... Especially for the price!”

Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Not bad at all... Especially for the price!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

If you want a 5 star, top-rated hotel, you're going to pay big bucks. If you're on a budget, like most of us, this place wasn't bad at all. My husband and I booked the room on a different website, but for some reason it didn't go through. I called to advise the hotel and ask their advice, and the young lady at the front desk (her name started with an N, but I can't recall it, exactly) was really helpful. She gave me the web address where I could book the room and save a significant amount of cash. The hotel IS in a pretty shady area, but we never felt unsafe. Our car wasn't messed with at all, and we never had any problems. The room was clean enough to feel really comfortable, and the bed was quite nice, I must say. All of the staff we spoke with were really nice and we enjoyed our stay! Everyone's opinion differs, but I would say that we have average, middle class standards for accommodation, and we found this hotel to be just fine! :)

Room Tip: I would say that, if you're a light sleeper, stay on a lower level floor, because there is quite...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Cullowhee, North Carolina
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've stayed here several times because it is close to the airport and they do park and fly. It is convenient to be able to leave our cars at the hotel while we are gone. The price is fair and the rooms are ok for a single night stay. The restaurant again, is ok. Nothing fancy at this place but it worked for our needs. The shuttle is not speedy and can sometimes be competitive to get on it. The staff is fine but do not go out of their way to be helpful. If you just need a safe convenient place without many frills to stay then this is the place for you. If you are looking to be pampered, look for another place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2013

While traveling, my flight was delayed and I missed my connection in Atlanta. My airline offered a complimentary room voucher and re-booked me on the next day. Once I found the shuttle area in the airport, it took about 30 minutes before it arrived and there were several people waiting. It seems like this hotel is frequently booked by airlines that need to comp passengers a night stay due to flight issues. Upon arrival at the hotel, we formed a line and were just given room keys - no information was taken. I made my way to the room on the second floor. The hallways were dark and dingy. My room was at the very end of the hallway next to the stairwell door. The door to the stairs was propped open with a dirty washcloth exposing the decaying stairwell area. It seemed strange that this was open - and for some reason made me uncomfortable. The room was dated - and not in good repair. There were many things that could use attention - the phone was disgusting and the cords were all unplugged, the heat/AC unit was dirty and falling apart, the chair had many stains on it...I could go on and on. The view from the room was the dirty loading dock area where it seems many employees take their smoke breaks. (I could smell smoke in the room every now and then - maybe it was from here?) I didn't find the bathroom to be too bad and there was a nice new TV. The bed sheets were also clean. Do yourself a favor and don't book this property unless you have no other choice. I didn't feel safe and couldn't leave fast enough. I didn't even check out the breakfast because I just wanted to leave. A rating of two is probably one too many for this place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bam377
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Upon missing my connecting flight to San Antonio due to bad weather, Delta issued me a $60 voucher to stay at this hotel. Since I didn't have to pay for it and it was one night only, I accepted the invitation.

Upon looking at the dirty stained furniture in the lobby should have been a red flag but I was so tired that I blew it off. The manager gave me a room that someone else was staying in. I went back to the lobby and I got another room.

I got to the room turned on all the lights and to my dismay, the furniture (chairs) were STAINED. You could see where someone tried to clean it, I guess. I didn't sit on any of them, to be exact they were chairs with ottomans. I was DISGUSTED, it looked the furniture had been used and a poor attempt had been made to clean it.

The only things decent about the room was the bedroom was separate from the living area and it was BIG and the king bed was nice. The bathroom sink was granite flat screens were a nice touch, otherwise, it was very disappointing.

I went to get some dinner at the restaurant in the hotel the carpet felt wet and it was DIRTY. The young lady there was the waitress, cashier and bartender. She was helpful as best as she could. I finally ordered my food and went back to my room and 30 minutes later went back to the restaurant and the food wasn't ready as she'd explained to us. Myself and others stood by the kitchen doors and the cook and the young lady were arguing very LOUDLY, everyone sitting in the restaurant heard them, it was unprofessional and embarrassing. The manager went in to the kitchen and don't know what he said to them, if anything, because after he left the kitchen, they were still arguing. I had to wait an additional 30 minutes for my food.

I won't stay there again and I wouldn't advise any one else to either.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank SweetGaBrown
Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a really bad travel day on Delta and missed my connection on the last flight out of Atlanta that night. Delta sent us to this hotel for the night.

The room was clean and comfortable with a free wifi connection. It was renovated not too long ago. As I didn't have any luggage, I was given free of charge a disposable toothbrush with toothpaste, something I appreciated after a long day. The TV didn't work, but I only had a 5 hour sleep ahead of me so I didn't bother to ask for another room, which I'm sure they would have agreed as the receptionist was nice when I checked in. I didn't have time to use any facility or to check them, but there was a pool, a restaurant and a small gym. For the price on the voucher I had, it was a really great value, I had a nice service and it includes a free shuttle to the airport.

My room was right in front of the elevator which I didn't hear much at 1 a.m. when I went to sleep but it wake me up a few times during the night when people were leaving to take their flight. I could hear them discuss as if I was in the hallway with them before the elevator made it's own noise... So if you stay in a room away from the elevators, I'd recommend this hotel and wouldn't mind if the airline sent me there again on a future connecting flight gone wrong.

Room Tip: Elevators are noisy at night
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed at this hotel because of a cancelled flight. AirTran put us at this place. It's the pits. If I could give it a 0, I would have. Its a old hotel, smelly, nasty. The shower tub backs up and don't drain. Drunk shady people in lobby. Restaurant is old and not very healthy. Spend 6 hours here and that was enough...Good value for a $54 flight voucher, but would of not paid a $1.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oceanoasis
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Did this hotels park and fly and had very good shuttle service both ways. I had a problem with my car and shuttle driver helped with it also. Hotel was average quality but had all you need for night before flight out or back. Breakfast somewhat limited but it was free

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Sleep Inn Airport
#16 of 26 in College Park
Ramada Atlanta Airport East/Forest Park
La Quinta Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport South

Been to Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport? Share your experiences!