WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport

Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Chicago, Illinois
“Bright Spot in Otherwise Bad Travel Day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Airline gave us a hotel voucher here after missing our connection in Atlanta. Front desk staff was very quick to process a full shuttle's worth of other stranded travelers. We ate at the hotel lounge Bowties and to watch some Monday Night Football. There was one bartender who I thought did a great job handling the place solo. Rooms were standard and clean. Would have like to have been home instead but this hotel was a pleasant experience.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Ball Ground, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was our second or third stay at Atlanta Airport the night before our flight. They offer stay, park and fly packages. I don't think we'll stay here again. The hotel is clean enough, but it definitely could use some refurbishing. The shuttle was definitely in need up replacing - at least the seat covers which were torn and dirty. The shuttle runs every 1/2 hr, but on the return, we called for pick up and were told it would be 15 minutes. A half hour later, we called again and were told he just left the international terminal and was on his way. It was another 10 minutes. My husband didn't want to go to the restaurant as he recalled it wasn't very good from a previous stay. The breakfast was adequate and acceptable. The hotel is kept pretty clean and is just adequate.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hotel was clean. Room was comfortable. Housekeeping took our towels and didn't leave us any. Front desk only had 2 available. The shuttle was never on time. The best western shuttle will take you from the airport if you ask.
The breakfast was very limited. Grits, sausage and gravy. Coffee was weak.

Room Tip: 6th floor facing phoenix and away from the airport landing strip and the pool was very quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Central Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for the Dragon Con convention in Atlanta. My wife booked the hotel because of its price and nearness to the airport.
First off, the room was clean and neat. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom clean.
Our biggest issue was with the shuttle, housekeeping and the breakfast.
The breakfast was ok. Grits, and sausage and gravy ( which we understand is a southern thing) Being from the northeast and currently living in Florida we do understand this food is popular. I stuck to coffee and toast. The could have had hot water and envelopes of oatmeal?
The shuttle was supposed to run approximately every 1/2 hour from the hotel and from the airport. We do understand that shuttles to get stuck in traffic and other occasional mishaps. But the shuttle never appeared in less than 45 to 50 minutes when we where at the airport. This is not a big deal except Atlanta in the summer is extremely hot and the waiting area is outside w/ minimal seating. A heads up, the best western van will bring you back if you ask.
The other issue I had was with housekeeping. We stayed 3 nights and on the 3rd day i asked if we could have new towels. The housekeeping lady told us to put the towels outside the door and they would leave new towels in the room. We got back late that night and found no towels at all. The front desk had only 2 for us so just make sure you get the towels first before you leave for the day.
Bottom line, Its a fine place to stay. Just don't assume anything, ASK ALWAYS.
Front desk personal very nice and professional.
BTW Atlanta is a nice place to visit, Coca-Cola and Aquarium are must sees.

Room Tip: 6th floor away from pool and airport was quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our transfer flight got canceled due to weather condition, after waited over 2 hours at the customer counter, Delta offered this hotel at 50% discount rate. We all are exhausted at the airport and need a place to stay one night, the room are clean, great location to airport by shuttle for 7 minutes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I have stayed in many hotels before, and you could read the position reviews under my Trip Advisor Account to prove that.

Delta Airlines sent me here because I was on a delayed in-bound Pinnacle Airlines flight (Delta Connection) that made me miss my connecting flight due to mechanical reasons. Let me tell you about the property...

The Hotel Shuttle, which read positive reviews online, never showed up. The Days Inn hotel across the street took us to this hotel. The front desk gave us our rooms right away, which was fast, however my room did have bugs on the floor, and on the comforter. There were people screaming down the hall, which ran up the hallway screaming "ah bugs", what a coincidence...

The Breakfast in the Morning was beyond bad. Unfortunately, Pinnacle Airlines (Delta Connection) provides this hotel as the accommodation for their crews, who appeared exhausted, and starving for food by picking between the bagels and muffins to try to find one that wasn't stale or moldy. Little did I know, the same crew that I met at the Hotel, was also operating my flight. Wonderful. Thanks to this property, I, nor the crew that is responsible for the safe transportation of passengers in our country, received a poor nights sleep.

If the General Manager of this hotel cared about his property, they would be responding and handling with the complaints posted on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelerManDan
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

An airline that I won't name canceled my flight and sent me here so, since it didn't cost me anything, I can't comment on how good a value it is for the money.
It may be because I'm old and can recall the motels of the 40s and 50s, but I think that second-rank chain motels like this one are quite good. Clean, quiet, free internet, breakfast with sausage and orange juice better than I drink at home-what's to complain about? I don't mind if a member of the front-desk staff calls me "darling". And there was no charge to get back to the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel & Suites Airport South
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
#5 of 26 in College Park

Been to Howard Johnson Atlanta Airport? Share your experiences!