“Good layover hotel”

Atlanta Airport Marriott
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a nice hotel and is always busy with activities. Each time I've stayed there was a reunion or conference of some sort.
Reception desk staff has always been very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is very good.
Southside Lounge is a great place to get dinner and bar atmosphere is always fun.
Has good fitness center.
I will stay here again when necessary.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had stayed at this property many nights over the last few years and was my go to property for some time. Last year my company changed from a self booking travel arrangement to some corporate site. For the better part of a year this property came up way over the prices I used to get navigating travel myself. I pulled the property for my last ATL trip and found it to be much more reasonable than I had seen in a year, so I booked and found they had made many improvements. They had always had the sushi bar in the lobby but its much nicer now with the same chef, I decided to sit at the bar and had great service from the bartender. He was very professional and seemed to care about his customers. The sushi is still good especially for a hotel. I had always chosen this hotel in the past for its location to my business needs and for the gym. I was happy to see the gym was still very nice and in my opinion a big draw to the property. The concierge lounge was average as many have become over the years so I see that as no plus nor minus. All I see these lounges for is a place to grab a coffee maybe some breakfast and a late night bottled water. Overall I would recommend this hotel based on the friendly staff, good food and much better than average gym.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The hotel occupancy was at full capacity the night before I stayed there. I requested early check-in for 3 rooms. When arriving we were told that none of the 3 rooms were ready and that it would be about an hour until we could check-in. An hour and a half later I returned to the desk again. Still not a single room out of the 3 was available for us to at least drop our stuff off in. It was frustrating waiting in the lobby all this time while all our other friends were at the Georgia Dome tailgating for the FedEx Kick-off Game. Finally after 2 hours I went up a 3rd time and asked them for 1 of the 3 rooms so we could put our stuff in the room and go enjoy our vacation. She located a room 7 floors from where the other 2 would be but luckily our party was made up completely of adults so we took it. Other pain points while staying there included a lengthy wait in line for Starbucks because the attendant didn't have any help during rush hour. Only 3 towels were available in the double rooms. The breakfast buffet wasn't kept stocked well even when the restaurant was at less than 1/2 capacity. I had to flag down another waiter to get something to drink and only saw our real waitress twice. Once to take plates off the table and once to give us the check. The AC only worked well in 1 of our 3 rooms. Bathrooms were small in the double rooms and there was no other mirror available to help with multiple people getting ready at the same time. Positive side, hotel was clean and classy like all Marriott's are. It was nice that the hotel has several restaurants because there are very few in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Due to a cancelled flight, while travelling with my elderly mother, we ended up booking here due to its proximity to the airport and decent rate. It was after 10 so I figured it would be a quiet ride on the shuttle. Not quite. The first shuttle was standing room only leaving a line of people to wait for the next shuttle which would have been the same situation. Had I been solo, this would have been fine, but I didn't want to have my mom jostled around. We'd already waited a while for the first shuttle so I decided to get a cab to avoid the chaos. A competitors shuttle bus driver saw us walking away and asked where we were staying and offered to drop us off since the hotels were near each other. There are still gentlemen in the world that display Southern hospitality at its best! We arrive at the hotel to be met with a long line so I had my mom sit while I checked in. It took between 20-30 minutes but the front desk clerk was friendly and efficient and got us checked in quickly. My rate included breakfast but unfortunately, our flight time didn't leave us enough time for breakfast. Didn't get to check out the hotel amenities but the room was clean. The bed was ok, the room was nothing special and had some signs of wear. It served its purpose and was close to the airport. The shuttle got us to the airport quickly the next morning. It is a very busy hotel with a lot of flight staff and business travelers so keep this in mine.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed one night at this property and we were favorably impressed. The lobby is attactive with interesting features like eclectic light fixtures. We had drinks and ate in the lobby bar. The food was fine, but nothing great. Nice atmosphere, though. There were quite a few people just socializing in the entire lobby area which speaks well for the place being inviting. Our room was on the concierge floor. There was lots of space to spread things out and the bathroom was upgraded with granite. Altough the room overlooked some of the airport runways and we could see planes taking off, we did not notice any bothersome noise. The fitness center was well-equipped and the full breakfast (which we were comped) was excellent. Like most hotel breakfasts, it was pricey and I wouldn't have just paid for it. We would definitely recommend this Marriott. The only nuisssance was parking--valet or self-park. The self-park lot was pretty full and we had to walk a ways with our luggage, but it didn't seem worth it to pay the extra for valet. There were some problems on our day of check-out with cars exiting from the parking--you have to pay at the exit site and an attendant had to keep running out and swiping her own card to let cars leave.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed here just for the night after a long flight from Europe and I missed my connecting flight. What I love about this hotel is that there's an airport shuttle.
The rooms are fairly small but clean. The hotel has a bistro, sushi bar, lounge combo that's spacious and inviting. I had sushi the day I arrived and it was decent. There's a convenience store in the lobby and they have a Starbucks. Room service was available also and I opted for that on my day of departure so I could just chill in the room. There's an outdoor pool and gym. Being a Marriott Rewards member has its perks such as free internet which normally costs 12.95. Valet parking is $15 when my friend came to visit. Best thing about this hotel is their staff, from the shuttle driver, front desk, concierge, restaurant and room service staff, everyone was very pleasant, courteous and helpful. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Spent one night here to attend a business meeting at the hotel. It was an excellent choice for our meeting location as the team was coming from 5 locations and could all get direct flights to Atlanta. The Marriott shuttle driver was professional and friendly, offering free water as we boarded and assuring us that he would move the bags on and off the bus. Of course we all tipped him.

The hotel property is older but has been renovated. I used the pool for a half hour swim and it was decent. The fitness area looked good. We ate dinner in the steak restaurant and it was outstanding, both food and service. Drinks at the lobby bar were also good, as the decor is modern and bright, very good for a team meeting area.

There was only one hiccup. When I was seated at the work desk in the room I could hear a faint humming sound like an ice chiller pump or a hand drill. About every 3 minutes it would run for 10 seconds. It was faint such that I couldn't hear it in bed, and I slept fine. However, if I had been there for more than 1 night and needed to work on the computer I would have requested a room change otherwise it would have driven me crazy.

I would stay here again, especially for a "hotel convention meeting", assuming that the room noise would be eliminated.

Room Tip: Room 1146 has a humming noise coming from somewhere.