“Quiet, otherwise just tolerable”

Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in College Park
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Quiet, otherwise just tolerable”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My stay here was unplanned, the result of a delayed flight causing a missed connection. The shuttle driver for the neighboring Days Inn took pity on me after I was waiting a while at midnight and brought me to the hotel.

My room was closer to the elevator than any hotel room I have ever had. Any closer and I would have been sleeping IN the elevator. There was less than a foot between the room door and the elevator doors. Once inside the room door, the room itself was down a weirdly long hallway. I realized I was walking alongside the elevator shaft. The room had no closet -- just a small open semi-alcove with a rod and hangers. The microwave sat on the desk because there was nowhere else to put it. Maybe these odd features were the result of cramming a room into the space adjoining the elevator shaft. I have not seen any other rooms in the hotel so I can't say for sure.

Despite the location, the room was amazingly quiet. No elevator noise, no noise from adjoining rooms, no hallway noise. The bed was reasonably comfortable, the pillows were acceptable, and the HVAC worked OK.

However, the overall condition of the room would best be described as tired and in need of updating. Furniture was worn, especially a reclining chair with iffy upholstery. The bathroom door scraped on the floor and was delaminating and cracking along the bottom as a result; it looked rather scuzzy. The lamp and clock at one side of the bed were plugged into an old cheap household-type extension cord going to an outlet in the "closet" alcove. Over at the desk, the microwave, coffee pot and floor lamp were all unplugged. It would have been impossible to plug them all in at once and in any event that was the only place to plug in my phone charger.

For the purpose I was there, the hotel was fine. I would not go out of my way to stay there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BinaPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
I want to start by apologizing for the room that you were assigned to. All of your concerns have been reviewed and will be taken seriously. We will make every effort to correct the ones that are possible to correct. Please accept our deepest apologies for not being able to completely satisfy you.
Sincerely-Bina Patel-AGM-Best Western Plus Atlanta Airport South

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked the room for 2 nights. First night our flight didn't arrive until midnight. We picked up all our luggage at Baggage claim and went out towards ground Transportation where we were being told that all hotels were sold out and therefore we needed to find a different hotel for the night. We were traveling with 2 very small children so we were especially concerned! I called the hotel and Reginald (front desk) said not to worry because since we already have a reservation that a room is waiting for us. He also told us that a complimentary shuttle is on the way to pick us up. We got off the phone and the ground transportation people kept asking which hotel we were needing to go to. We told them Best Western on Phoenix Blvd and they kept telling us that they're sold out and that nobody would be coming to pick us up from there and that we should choose a different hotel! I called Reginald again and said I know we just spoke 5 minutes ago but these people keep saying that everything's sold out! Once again very calmly he told me, Mrs Sanford, don't you worry we have your room ready for you and the driver should be there any minute. Within minutes a driver showed up and a very distraught gentlemen got out saying don't waste your time getting in there! You wont get a room! Everywhere is sold out! I told the man that we had reservations so we're good. He sarcastically replied, I'm sure it will all work out for you then. I stood there dumbfounded. The driver was a nice gentlemen later explained that booking online is different then vouchers issued from the airlines. He said that when a voucher is issued from the airlines its much like a gift certificate for a room in any hotel so long as space is available. He assured us that since we already paid for our room that's a guaranteed reservation. He even said he felt really bad for the man with voucher so he even had gone out of his way driving him to several other hotels in the area for any vacancies. We arrived to hotel greeted by Reginald. Told us to let him know if we needed anything. Room was very nice. First thing we checked was mattress for bedbugs. We were very happy to find mattress in a zippered mattress bag. Very nice clean linen and the bed extremely comfortable! Overall extremely happy with everything except wish that there was a restaurant next door to eat. There was a mc donalds nearby but they were already closed when we arrived late that night. Subway however is open 24 hours but a car was needed for that.

• Stayed April 2013
BinaPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have forwarded your compliments to my staff and they are delighted and feel very much appreciated for their hard work. If you and your family are in the Atlanta area again, we look forward to hosting you at our hotel once again.
Sincerely-Bina Patel
Best Western Plus Atlanta Airport South
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The airport hotels chains so often look the same - what's to say about them? This one was typical: clean, convenient, good parking, all the things you want in your room (TV, lighting, coffee, comfy beds, good linens). Breakfast was the regular fare and nice, big room with windows and hot food. Fellow guests were all pleasant. Staff was accommodating and nice. We were pulling a trailer with a motorcycle and needed special parking arrangements and the desk clerk was very helpful in letting us park in a close-to-the-door area under the security cameras. I had picked this hotel because of its very reasonable price (around $64 I think) but i am becoming more and more impressed with Best Western Pluses for roadside stays. Have been in about 6 of them recently and all of them fine. This one was also about 5 minutes from the airport but with no airport noise. A good choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BinaPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
We want to start by thanking you for being our guest and also for reviewing our hotel with detail. Your comments have been shared with our staff and they appreciate the compliments that you have given. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Warm Regards-Bina Patel-Best Western Plus Atlanta Airport South
San Juan
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Very reasonably priced rooms. Very close from airport. They have free shuttle bus to and from the airport. Plenty of free parking. Room was clean.Bed comfortable.Free internet access. Bathroom was clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking your time to write about our hotel. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we appreciate your compliments. We hope to see you again soon!
Chicago
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Beware of this Best Western. The rooms are worn and in need of refurbishing, and the walls are paper thin. My room was next to an emergency exit that had an exit alarm with a dying battery. The alarm would chirp every 30 seconds. I notified the front desk about the issue, and they indicated that they would fix it right away. However, the chirping continued through the night and into the next morning. I ended up cutting my stay short and booking a hotel room elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Mike W
BinaPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns about your recent stay. Your comments are carefully reviewed and we will take appropriate measures to correct them. We are sorry that your stay was not satisfactory. We do hope that you will give us another chance to host you in the future.
If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Scottsboro, Alabama
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Reasonably priced rooms, with comfy clean beds and a separate sitting/office area. Bathrooms are a bit tiny with a door that barely misses the toilet, but not a big issue for me. This hotel is near the airport, and parking and leaving your car in the lot can be arranged for $5 a night. Shuttles pick up for the Airport and also stop at nearby restaurants, and pizza, etc can be ordered for delivery. Joe's on Sullivan is 4 traffic lights away, and has good burgers, ribs, etc and also serves beer.
Front Desk staff were very pleasant and efficient. Breakfast was better than most offer.
This hotel is South of the Airport, and most flights take off to the North - so its a LOT quieter than hotels I've stayed at on the North side. I will definately come back here when I have a flight from Atlanta to Carribean again.

Room Tip: Lower floors buffer the noise from planes best.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments give great detailed information about our hotel and the nearby area for future visitors. We look forward to hosting you again on your next trip.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights mid-February. There is a free shuttle from/to the airport which runs every half hour. A word of warning - the shuttle doesn't always pull into a parking space in the shuttle terminal. Thefore, if you see the shuttle entering the terminal, it's best to signal to the driver that you'd like to get on the shuttle.

My room at the hotel was quite large - it had a sleeping area and a separate "living room" type area as well. The room was clean, quiet, and had all of the basic amenities e.g. large flat screen tv, hair dryer, alarm clock. The free breakfast was very good and included waflfles, yoghurt, cereals, juices, eggs, sausage patties, fruit, milk, bread, etc. Staff at the reception desk were courteous and, for the most part, professional.

I was very satisfied with the price and quality of my stay at this hotel. I would return here without hesitation.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
BinaPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
We appreciate your honest and detailed comments that you have provided of our hotel, staff, and amenities. It was great to hear that you had a very satisfactory stay! We look forward to hosting you again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near College Park
Holiday Inn Atlanta-Airport - South
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
Hampton Inn Atlanta Airport
#6 of 26 in College Park

Been to Best Western Plus Hotel & Suites Airport South? Share your experiences!