“Great experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Great experience”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Spring hill suites were exactly as expected; clean, friendly, efficient and spacious. Everything worked as hoped for, and the breakfast was fine if not wide in choice. Just be aware you're paying a high price for being in the airport; this is no $300 hotel by normal city standards: its the same offering as a Springhill in any other location: an efficient, no frills experience. Staff were really nice, and its immediately by the shuttle that takes you to the terminal: what could be easier :) that said, if it was my own money (I was travelling on company expenses) I would perhaps stay a bit further away for less money and invest $20 in a taxi.... Or book long in advance to get a better price.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor; no view needed in an airport hotel, so why bother with lifts?
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very convenient to airport, with Sky Train that connects hotel with domestic terminals. Be sure to note that the train does not connect with the completely separate international terminal at Hartsfield. Used hotel for a two week international trip, so the park and fly package worked out well. But be advised their popularity is catching up with them. Only 10 days now included and the additional daily parking rate has increased - not to mention the room rate. As for the facility, it is just over a year old so the soft and hard goods are in great shape. The bed is comfortable. Separate toilet area from shower is a nice feature. Breakfast was mediocre, even compared to other SpringHill Suites. Front desk staff could use some polishing when it comes to customer service and positive attitude. We will come back for Thanksgiving trip, but not sure for how many more times.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Joel S, Manager at SpringHill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Certainly we appreciate feedback and glad that you enjoyed our facilities and the convenience of the ATL Skytrain. I do apologize for any shift in the Park'nFly Package and hope that we can still serve your needs down the line. We understand the importance of friendly employees and will continue to drive customer service centered staff. Once again thank you for your feedback and we will do our best to continue to better serve our guests.

Joel Shasteen
Operations Supervisor, Springhill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway
Hickory, North Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I recently taught a class and stayed at this hotel. There are not enough positive things I can say about this hotel! One of the best rooms I have ever stayed in! Huge, stylish, and functional! The staff was amazing and went above and beyond to ensure my satisfaction. Awesome breakfast! Great sports bar across the street. Super close to the airport. I will definitely stay again, if in the area.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank baseballmomof2boys
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First let me tell you I am a road warrior. My commute is on an airplane, but my contracts are normally in the same location for up to a year. I become familiar w/the area I go to, so it is not like I in a different hotel every night...

My contract is currently in Atlanta, and what a delight to know there was the Marriot GATEWAY hotel just steps off the Sky Train (that takes you to the rental car pick up place).

This stay at the Springhill, which is right across from the Marriott GATEWAY, was needed because the GATEWAY was full.

Expecting the same level of service, cleanliness, and room upkeep, I was dissappointed by what I found.

On the surface, this property just apprears well used. I am certain they get many, many people thru their property because not only the name but the location, but that shouldn't be an excuse for lack of caring/cleanliness/ or freshness.

On the positive...

Front Desk:
I will say that the front desk staff, both morning and night, were very helpful and pleasant there. They seemed knowledgable and friendly, and if ever I would stay here again, it would be because of them. Great job!!

Air conditioner:
The air conditioner worked well, but you do have to put your key in switch on the wall, but if you have ever been out of our country, you know that is how it is done elsewhere.

Noise:
It was quiet, with no hall noise or airport noise. The air conditioner is located over the door, so I think that attributes to not being able to hear hallway noise. Good idea.

The more negative/critical truths...

Breakfast:
The police came in one morning to get their breakfast because apparently the kitchen staff allows it, but the front desk staff didn't have any idea what was going on. So this particular morning, there was an altercation between the ATL police dept, and the front staff at the Springhill. Seems like the kitchen staff that the police knew were not there that day, and when the ATL police were quesitoned b other staff as why they were there and what they were doing, they said the kitchen staff knows they come for breakfast and they were going to eat. REALLY? The front desk didn't know anything about this!! Wow. What at thing... not only an altercation, but the altercation was w/the police!!

The next thing was the boiled eggs on the breakfast buffet were sour, and the fruit over ripe. My guess is that to save money, they get the "almost out of date" grub from the Marriott GATEWAY, and serve it at the Springhill the day before it is "bad". Even the bagels were hard and stale. So beware. If you don't mind that kind of thing, then you won't have a problem with it at all. The food wasn't "bad", but it was far from fresh.

The room:
Beware of room 141. There is no way to regulate the hot water in the shower. All days I was there, I had to take scalding hot showers!!! I stopped by the front desk to address this issue the first day, and the maintenace guy went right down to my room to "fix it". I left for the day thinking it would be taken care of, and didn't think anything about it until the next morning when I went to regulate the temp in the shower again. Still scalding... not just hot, but SCALDING! You could have made a cup of tea!! They ought to be glad that I don't sue them due to first degree burns on my chest and on my scalp! I couldn't wait to get home to get a shower...

Another thing about room 141, the mattress has seen better days... Certainly needs to be replaced. So be prepared to prop a pillow under you so you don't roll down in the hole...

And although the air conditioner worked well, it needed to be cleaned. I had a musty odor (which you eventually got used to), and you could see the dust on the air intake area of the unit. (Most of the time I can clean this off myself, but the only chair in the place had wheels and I didn't want to risk falling since the ac is over the door).

And a can of soda from the front "pantry" is $2.50. So be aware...

Sorry, but I won't stay here again... too many negatives out weigh the positives. It's back to the GATEWAY for me....

Room Tip: Be aware of room 141. Pick a different room....
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Sheller1
Joel S, Manager at SpringHill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback with what appears to be a far from perfect stay. I do appoligize for any difficulites that you experienced with your room or with any mishaps during breakfast. I have personally addressed any miscommunication with my staff and the College Park Police Department and all of your concerns with Room 141. We do in fact invite the Police Department into our facillity for breakfast as to thank them for the service they provide our communities. Please let me know if there is any other concerns that I can address with you, you can reach me at (770)907-8880.

Joel S
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travel frequently on business. I often stay at the Springhill Suites, Atlanta Airport. I stayed at the hotel last week and as expected, it lives up to the Marriott name. The rooms are a bit unique, the design is very modern, the rooms require a key be placed in a slot in order to turn on any electric, a new energy saving device.

The breakfast is more than adequate and the lobby is simple but clean. The staff at the front desk is very friendly.

The only disappointment is that I requested additional pillows on the Marriott website and they were never provided. I will return and hopefully this time I can get additional pillows.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Had a problem with the cleanliness of our room's sofa bed. Staff corrected promptly by moving us into another room. Breakfast was good.

This property is within about 5 miles of a nice shopping/dinIng area. We found a great soccer park nearby! The general area around the hotel is not the nicest. The property itself is tucked in off the main road which promotes a safer environment.

One concern that we did voice to hotel manager was the pool. It is way too warm for a swimming pool. It was approaching hot tub temperature levels which can be dangerous if not treated properly. They assured us that the levels were within limits. I still would not swim in that pool again if the temperature was that high. Too many bacteria concerns and why take the risk.

• Stayed August 2012
U.S.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Pros: Quiet despite airport proximity

Con: Tired and shabby decor

Very convenient to airport as others have noted. The SkyTrain service is practically front-door. Despite the fact the planes fly very low overhead, it’s pretty quiet inside.

The decor can best be described as “retro-modern.” Our floor and suite were decorated in vivid lime and turquoise colors. I was surprised to learn this motel is so new as it has a dated and tired look/feel already. Furniture in our room was a bit shabby.

There were a few other issues with our room. The separate toilet room is not a problem per se, but the “door” is only a thin sliding partition that allows very little privacy. Think public restroom stall. And the bathroom (ours anyway) was smack at the end of the bed. Maybe not a problem for couples, but it could be awkward for friends or coworkers sharing a room.

One of the seat bolts was broken on our toilet, so the seat slid sideways with any use. Towels were thin, ragged, threadbare, and there were not enough (we requested extra towels more than once, but none were provided).

The A/C in our room did not work well. It was more like a vent or swamp cooler, so it stayed very hot and humid inside (80s), making it hard to sleep on an August night. Seems this was an issue specific to our room, as family across the hall were able to get their room cool enough to sleep well.

We reported the A/C and needed repair issues to management before we left. They assured us at least new towels are on order for the motel.

The breakfast buffet was average, a few more choices than some motels but very crowded on the weekend we went. Front desk told us the wrong time for the buffet (it’s later on the weekends) so we got there an hour too early. Be there promptly if you want to nab a seat, there are only a handful of ‘em. You’ll probably get the same weak, flavorless coffee we did.

Note you’ll need to use a room key to get both IN and OUT of the car lot, and pay for parking to boot. Good thing we had two key cards as ours took turns malfunctioning.

Just small stuff really in the greater scheme of things, but little irritants add up, especially when it’s hotter than blazes both inside and out.

Convenience to airport and/or the convention center is really the only motivator for us to stay here again. We wouldn’t make a special trip for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
I would like start off by thanking you for your feedback and attention to detail. We are always striving to make sure our guests are well taken care of and that our facilities are in the best working order that we can provide. Your stay sounds far from what we want to provide and would like to apologize for your experience. If you ever find yourself back in the area I would kindly ask you to give us another try and let me know when you’re coming in to ensure that your experience is seamless.

Joel Shasteen
Hyatt Place Atlanta Airport - South
Renaissance Atlanta Airport Gateway Hotel
Holiday Inn Atlanta-Airport - South
Drury Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport

Been to SpringHill Suites Atlanta Airport Gateway? Share your experiences!