“A Magical Stay”

Make Inquiry
Excellent
Rennaldburn ~ secluded waterfall retreat
Rennaldburn ~ secluded waterfall retreat
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Skylark88
Sunderland
“A Magical Stay”
Reviewed June 24, 2015 for a stay in June 2015

My husband and 2 friends were visiting the Monastery at Samye Ling and looked for a place to stay nearby so we could explore the area a little. We immediately fell in love with the colourful farmhouse and booked accommodation for the night. The weather was cold and wild but we couldn't have had more warm a welcome than we received from the lovely Shen. The area is rugged and beautiful, the surroundings of the farmhouse are just wonderful with a gushing waterfall in the garden! The house has so much beauty - Shen has brought such a lovely atmosphere to this fine old property with her wonderful artistic gift. It was a pleasure for the four of us to meet her and we enjoyed selecting things to read from her library of good books. We came away from Rennaldburn wishing we had more time to explore the area, as the weather was not on our side & we missed out on some of the lovely walks we would have liked to do. We did visit the village of Ettrick which was another amazing place with an ancient graveyard and is overlooked by a very high waterfall that feeds a large stream which gushes through the village. The four of us agreed we felt we had had a magical stay, it was really special and our lovely host Shen was certainly a big part of that. We look forward to a return visit in the future.

Value Cleanliness
Traveling group: Friends
Jun 30, 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay! It was great seeing you all having such a good visit despite the wild weather ~ hopefully next time you'll get some more sunshine :)
All is lush and green here now. Really look forward to seeing you all again too so you can experience some more of Rennaldburn's many moods!
Lizsum
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
“An unexpected gem!”
Reviewed June 3, 2015 for a stay in May 2015

My husband and I travelled a long way from Wales on business and decided to book two nights accommodation at Rennalburn. We were delighted to find ourselves in a colourful and friendly old farmhouse with our kind and thoughtful host, Shen. Our 9 month old baby was also made to feel very welcome and even had goodnight songs sung to him before bedtime! I would happily recommend staying at Rennalburn and we're looking forward to returning next year.

Traveling group: Family
Jun 6, 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay! It was lovely having you all here ~ and I think I've found the ideal audience age for my songs :)
Looking forward to your visit next year,
All the best,
Nicola C
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
Reviewed May 5, 2015 for a stay in May 2015

My partner and I had booked a meditation course at Samye Ling, a nearby Tibetan Buddhist Monastery in Eskdalemuir. As the course was very popular, we had to look for accommodation in the local area for the Saturday and Sunday evening. I was recommended Rennauldburn farmhouse through Samye Ling's website and also by another B&B that I called, who were also fully booked. The farmhouse, owned by the lovely Shen, is a Buddhist household and is only a few minutes’ drive from Samye Ling. It was nice to experience the feel of Buddhism even after we had driven away from the monastery. Her house if full of wonder and every aspect invites you to ask questions! I especially loved Shen's art, colours and lighting in the house - not forgetting the goose lamp (not a real goose - this is a Buddhist household remember!). My partner and I shared a spacious double room in Shen's section of the farmhouse, with lots of privacy and space. Shen kindly lit a fire for us which was simply amazing and cosy, coming in from wet and windy weather. The room was clean and beautiful, with lots of trinkets and bits and bobs to admire. Shen is currently writing a book on the ancient art of I Ching and tried some out on us - what an enlightening experience!

Cleanliness Service
Traveling group: Couples
Your age range 25-34
May 6, 2015
Thank you so much for your generous words! It was lovely having you both here; I and Tashi, curious as ever, enjoyed your company. I'm so glad you enjoyed your course and stay ~ and the waterfall's waiting to be enjoyed next time you come!
All the very best,
sarahlouo...
London, United Kingdom
“A beautiful stay!”
Reviewed April 6, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

We stayed in the Rennaldburn farmhouse over Easter weekend. We had travelled up to Eskdalemuir to attend a meditation retreat at Kagyu Samye Ling, the local Tibetan Buddhist monastery.

I have been to the monastery many times and it is a very special place for me. What I didn't expect was the special feeling Rennaldburn has and what a beautifully spiritual place this is in its own right.

Shen is the warmest host, a lovely person to share a cup of tea with. We instantly felt relaxed and welcome and enjoyed her company when we were at the house. Never intrusive but always so open to helping us make the most of our experience when we asked. We saw the most spectacular full moon over the hills at the back of the house, watched the sunset over eskdalemuir from the same spot and spent time by the peaceful farmhouse waterfall. There is even a trampoline to have a bounce on!

We walked the grey mares tail on Shens recommendation and it was one of the most spectacular sites we've seen. At the very top of the gorge with one of the highest waterfalls you reach an untouched loch, a really amazing experience.

Shen made us lovely breakfasts at only an extra £4 per head, highly recommend the porridge. The kitchen is available at all times to make/store food if you need to.

We stayed in the room in Shens half of the house as the holiday let side was fully booked. The room was beautiful and very clean. There is a real fireplace (which Shen lit for us) and the cosiest bed with beautiful artefacts and textiles which was very private if we wanted it to be. The whole house is a real reflection of Shen, it's a work of art with paintings, mosaics and crafted art everywhere and has a great feeling. I found it a really inspiring place to be!

I want to bring my friends and family here as I feel it's one of the best places to get connected again and enjoy the nature of Eskdalemuir and to visit Kagyu Samye Ling. Visit with an open heart as its a very special place!

Traveling group: Couples
Apr 14, 2015
Thanks so much for such a heartfelt review!
It was so lovely having you both here. I love that, as well as enjoying Samye Ling Tibetan Centre, you also experienced and appreciated so much else of what's special about Rennaldburn, Eskdalemuir and this part of Scotland.
The first two swallows have arrived back for the summer; the sky really comes alive when they're all weaving around. I'll look forward to you experiencing them and the other delights of Rennaldburn when you next visit in full summer :)
hitchcock...
middlesbrough england
“An experience like no other”
Reviewed February 3, 2015 for a stay in January 2015

Well,its difficult to know where to start.Here goes,a warm welcome of Tea and toast on a late January afternoon from my delightful host Shen.A pervading,encompassing warmth generated not only by Shen but the instant homely feeling you get,and the uplifting of the spirits with the sheer thought and mindset to create this wonderful, constantly evolving work of art which is Rennaldburn Farmhouse.I have had a look around this beautiful planet of ours and have never,and I know will never, stay anywhere quite like this again.Sorry I will, because I am going back this spring/summer,to continue my Yoga journey in the fabulous Samye Ling Tibetan Monestary just down the road.Its also a great spot to do some great walks.Shen can give you some top information on these walks too.Rennaldburn is in a lovely secluded spot,its has an earthy realness about it.Its just something people have to experience.Check it out

Value Rooms
Traveling group: Solo
Feb 8, 2015
Many thanks! So glad you enjoyed your stay. It was great that there was a local ceilidh on that weekend, too, so you got to experience that as well as the yoga.
I look forward to your Spring/Summer visit, when you'll see a whole different side of Rennaldburn as everything comes to life!
Best wishes,
Shen
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing