“Fabulous Food and Friendly Service”
Review of The Old Mill Inn

The Old Mill Inn
The Old Mill Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Maryculter B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Stayed in the Caravan site nearby but ate in The Old Mill Inn for an evening meal. Food was great as was the attention we received. Had a two-course meal - very reasonably priced. Also had breakfast before travelling home. Hadn't booked but nothing was too much bother for the staff. Everything was piping hot. Will definitely visit again if I'm up in that neighbourhood.

Room Tip: Can't make any comment as we didn't stay overnight.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I had the most wonderful stay last night (Sun.Feb23,2014) at the Old Mill Inn, Toronto.From the moment I walked in, it was such a nice experience due to the staff being so friendly.Starting with Nino, who I spoke on the phone a few times, then with James, Samantha at the Front Desk, Gloria, the chambermaid and Helen, Theresa and Luigi in the restaurant. Unfortunately, I didn't get everyone's names.I would like to thank them all.The food was excellent! My room was so nice (they upgraded it without me knowing because I have MS and asked for a lower floor. I was so thankful and they even let me check in early.I was enjoying the room so much, I missed afternoon tea.I will most definitely back! Thank you everyone and Mr.M.Halmar, you have a great place there! Happy 100th Anniversary!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I attended here with a work colleague for a spot of dinner, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and the choice / specials were great. Not often you can say this, but actually the food was pretty amazing. The price was fair too!

If you are after well prepared home made Scottish food and a bit of peace and tranquil... this is the spot to find it.

Excellent guys - keep up the good work :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 1Marc
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed at the Old Mill Inn at Maryculter for two nights with my 10-year-old grandson in October 2013. We were on a trip to Aberdeen for the purpose of visiting a theatre there. The exterior of the hotel is quite appealing, but the room we were allocated was a big disappointment in terms of facilities. It was a triple room, even though I had asked for a twin, but there was no table on which to put the hospitality tray, which was housed in the wardrobe! There was one chair, which is neither use nor ornament if you have 3 people in the room. There was no proper bedside table at two of the beds and the other table, placed by one of the beds, was taken up with a lamp, the base of which almost filled it, leaving very little room for any of your own things such as phone, glasses, book etc. The "shelves" above the two other beds were glass and each had a lamp on it . There was no central light so the room was quite dark, although the bathroom did have a good light. I felt that the "shelves" above the beds were quite dangerous as it would be easy for someone to bang their head on when getting up. As my grandson used one of those beds, he was small enough to not have to worry about this but I was obviously still concerned about the safety aspect. I would suggest taking out the chair and replacing it with a table on which the kettle and tray could be placed. The tray was well stocked. The other thing worthy of note in the bedroom was the curtain - one curtain rather than a pair, and it did not cover the window properly, which meant that we had to try and create some form of blockade to prevent the light from the outside security light keeping us awake all night! Dining was a good experience. We had our evening meals there and the food was excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast was also of good quality. One other thing I feel worth mentioning is that on the Old Mill Inn's website, it states that the location is "5 miles from Aberdeen" - we had no car and had to take taxis into Aberdeen as the hotel is not on a bus route, and the taxi drivers told us that it is more like 11 miles from Aberdeen. The distance stated on the hotels website must have been "as the crow flies". Overall quite a nice trip as the show in Aberdeen was well worth the journey from the Isle of Lewis for, but would I stay at the Old Mill Inn again? Probably not.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2013

First visit when on our recent trip last week to Deeside. This hotel gives a 10% discount to those staying in the Deeside holiday park so for that reason maybe worth a visit. I felt it was over priced for a dated hotel restaurant. Decor needs re-doing & the bar area is very dark & quite bare. Handy enough form the park through a gate at the rear.
Didn't have starters but I chose a special of baked trout with Prawn Risotto & it tasted lovely but not much time spent on presentation. A pile of risotto with a piece of fish folded over on top. No garnish or presentation of any sort. This was priced around £13-£14 which was ok I suppose. My husband chose Scampi & chips. The chips were homemade but again no presentation & looked a bit over cooked to me. The scampi was the worst I have tasted. No juicy scampi insode but dry & only tasted of stale breadcrumbs. No garnish again & I would say for that quality shouls have been priced about £5 not great. Hubbie said it was okish. Think it was about £10. Looking at the rest of the menu I think the starters, mains & sweets were priced around a higher class eaterie. I would probably give it another chance due to mine being ok & it being so near the holiday park if staying there again but if similar or not better I dont think I would go back. Wine prices average

Room Tip: Can't review his properly as Trip Advisor not set up properly to review this hotel restaurant so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebbienGlasgow
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a recent 1 night stay. On the plus side, our evening meal was excellent, couldn't fault the choice and quality. Our breakfast was also good. The owner, we presumed, was very charming and hospitable. On the other hand, our room was a big disappointment. It was 'very' small and cramped and the bed very uncomfortable. Inappropriate high glass shelves beside bed, used in lieu of bedside tables, a danger in such a cramped space. Soap/shampoo dispenser in shower was empty, so one small piece of soap had to suffice. Accommodation altogether very dated and run down and in need of serious upgrade, even though their website says 'the hotel has been extensively refurbished'?

Room Tip: Check your room before accepting. Avoid room 4.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Booked as a group of 15 WRI members. Varied menu left us mulling over the menu for some time. Good service and food was plentiful and delicious. Problem with one meal was dealt with quickly by staff. Good value for money and well worth trying. I will be back.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends