“Dinner”

The Old Mill Inn
The Old Mill Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Maryculter B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 10, 2013

First visit when on our recent trip last week to Deeside. This hotel gives a 10% discount to those staying in the Deeside holiday park so for that reason maybe worth a visit. I felt it was over priced for a dated hotel restaurant. Decor needs re-doing & the bar area is very dark & quite bare. Handy enough form the park through a gate at the rear.
Didn't have starters but I chose a special of baked trout with Prawn Risotto & it tasted lovely but not much time spent on presentation. A pile of risotto with a piece of fish folded over on top. No garnish or presentation of any sort. This was priced around £13-£14 which was ok I suppose. My husband chose Scampi & chips. The chips were homemade but again no presentation & looked a bit over cooked to me. The scampi was the worst I have tasted. No juicy scampi insode but dry & only tasted of stale breadcrumbs. No garnish again & I would say for that quality shouls have been priced about £5 not great. Hubbie said it was okish. Think it was about £10. Looking at the rest of the menu I think the starters, mains & sweets were priced around a higher class eaterie. I would probably give it another chance due to mine being ok & it being so near the holiday park if staying there again but if similar or not better I dont think I would go back. Wine prices average

Room Tip: Can't review his properly as Trip Advisor not set up properly to review this hotel restaurant so...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DebbienGlasgow

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had a recent 1 night stay. On the plus side, our evening meal was excellent, couldn't fault the choice and quality. Our breakfast was also good. The owner, we presumed, was very charming and hospitable. On the other hand, our room was a big disappointment. It was 'very' small and cramped and the bed very uncomfortable. Inappropriate high glass shelves beside bed, used in lieu of bedside tables, a danger in such a cramped space. Soap/shampoo dispenser in shower was empty, so one small piece of soap had to suffice. Accommodation altogether very dated and run down and in need of serious upgrade, even though their website says 'the hotel has been extensively refurbished'?

Room Tip: Check your room before accepting. Avoid room 4.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Booked as a group of 15 WRI members. Varied menu left us mulling over the menu for some time. Good service and food was plentiful and delicious. Problem with one meal was dealt with quickly by staff. Good value for money and well worth trying. I will be back.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eileen R
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We booked the Old Mill Inn via Discover Travel and Tours and arrived on a sunny afternoon in June 2013. We recieved a very warm welcome and there was a crowd enjoying a Sunday roast dinner. We had a drin at the bar before going in for dinner. I had the best Steak and Guinness pie and my wif enjoyed her Baked fillet of salmon. For desert we had the "Eton Mess" - i would highly recommend you have this desert. Our room was comfortable and clean and the shower had good pressure which has not always been the case on our travels. Breakfast the next day was excellent. I would highly recommend the Old Mill Inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

While visiting deeside we paid this little establishment another visit. It was as good as we remembered. Roaring fire in the corner and lots of full tables of contented customers, so glad we had booked!! A tasty steak was my choice but the steak pie, roast beef dinner, chicken goujons and mixed grill also were heartily enjoyed by the party. I finished with a delightful baileys coffee but did manage to sneak a taste of the chocolate and amaretto mousse and it was delicious. Good atmosphere, friendly staff and a fair price too. Will most definitely make another visit when in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is one of those country gems where the restaurant is very well run, the food is great and the staff are friendly and good. The Owners have a track record with their restaurants and know their local clients. It's cozy, comfortable, cheerful, clean. Good value and good all around.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Summrs
Reviewed December 2, 2012

A traditional coal fire in a cosy setting. We were seated in front of the fire for our carvery on a cold night before heading to bonfire and fireworks at Stonehaven.
Food was excellent with choice of Lamb and Beef - very tasty, melt in your mouth meats.
Choice of veg and potatoes excellent too and of course the Yorkshires were spot on!
Service by the girl behind bar was fab too.
Puddings were nice although my lemon one was a bit too sweet.
With two adults and two kids 14&10 my only negative would be that it was a bit pricey at just over £80.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family