“Tiny room with big spiders” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Maryculter House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
Invergordon, United Kingdom
“Tiny room with big spiders”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Was impressed after reading about the hotel from its own website but upon checking in I could see it was not exactly what I expected.
Staff were very friendly and helpful but my room was very small and the walls were unbelievably thin as you could here everything from the neighbouring rooms i.e. toilet visits!
Food was ok, dining area was clean but constantly looking for big spiders had me on edge and had to wrestle with one to decide who was staying in the room, wasn't big enough for both of us....

Room Tip: Avoid room 207
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jimthesmithh
MCHHGenMan, Director of Sales at Maryculter House Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear jimthesmithh
Thank you for your review. Your feedback we use this to continually improve our guests visits. Room 207 is our smallest bedrooms and usually sold last. It is situated next to another room and has an adjoining door so apologies if your stay was disturbed by neighbouring guests. I must also apologise for the spider who wanted to stay in your room. Your feedback is very important to us and I hope you will come and visit is again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

A good stopover and needs some tlc here and there. nice friendly staff help the ambience. clean and tidy and toilets well stocked with what the traveller needs. Value average for Aberdeen area and not bad all-round. Meals fine and good enough value

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank theepilgrim
Dear apilgram
Thank you for your review. Your feedback is important to us and used to make continuous improvements. Since your stay we have had quite a few refurbishments and I hope you will return to enjoy them. Thanks again
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I needed a hotel in Aberdeen at short notice for a business trip.The city is well known for its sky high prices but I was shocked to find that even Travelodge charge £140 per night for a room. Luckily their 4 hotels were all full so I searched on line and found the Maryculter had rooms free for the same price. It's 10 miles out of the city but has a very pleasant location by the river and the bedroom and dining were fine. If you have a car and don't mind the 40 minute drive (in the rush hour) to the centre of the city, then I would certainly recommend it and would use it again.

Room Tip: Rooms on one side have a pleasant river view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sprint955
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to assist you at short notice. I hope you will return and see us again soon. Many thanks again
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table in the restaurant to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived we were told the restaurant was not open (it was midweek and during this time food was served in the dining room). However the staff member who met us at reception spoke to the manager (using his initiative) and we were taken to the restaurant without any question. We were the only people there as other people were eating in the dining room. We had 3 courses and absolutely no complaints. The staff were polite, chatty and helpful. Having the place to ourselves was lovely and we were really pleased at the attitude of the staff to make our meal enjoyable. Can't fault this place at all. They didn't know it was a special meal for us but by their service made our night.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Peerie-lis
Thank you for your review. The Team are delighted you enjoyed your visit to celebrate your anniversary, its always nice to receive such nice comments. I hope you will return and see us again soon.
Beverley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here on business for a meeting for two days. I only had one evening meal and two lunches to eat. The food was quite agreeable and the breakfast was sufficient. The place is a little dated in some rooms and could really do with upgrading after speaking with other collegues who also stayed. The staff polite and friendly. However upon checking out, my eyebrows were raised when it came to the bill. Several items where placed that I did not sign for on my bill. Upon questioning the matter these items where immediately crossed off. Which leaves me to think "One was thrown across my bow". A couple of other collegues also disputed there final bill! Maybe a genuine mistake but I was not shown the receipt which I had signed for at the time of buying drinks etc! I intend to pay for items immediately when purchasing anything next time here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jimmy54southcave
Dear Jimmy54southcave
Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to hear that you had to question your bill when checking out, I must apologise for this. Your feedback is important to us and used as one of our tools for training to try and continuously improve our guest experience. I do hope you will return and enjoy another stay with us. Thank you again
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Most rooms here are good and quite cosy. Not a great place to explore aberdeen city as no bus but good if you have car. Stay longer than a few nights and the menu becomes bit tiresome however. All in all a good place, imagine be nice for weddings etc

• Stayed February 2013
Selby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a career fare held in Aberdeen. The hotel was clean & comfortable & the staff very friendly & accomodating. We stayed in room 108 which was well equiped with tea & coffee making facilities along with toiletries in the large bathroom. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening which was pleasant but slightly pricey & all the staff were attentive & friendly. The breakfast was well organised with a good selection of fruit, continental, cereal, porridge made to order, & a cooked buffet food which was hot & readily available. Lovely quiet location in the country, approximately 30 minute drive into the city. No complaints but some of the decoration was looking a little tired & need of some tlc. Overall a pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryculter
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Hotels
#16 of 63 in Aberdeen
Premier Inn Aberdeen South (Portlethen) Hotel
The Aberdeen Altens Hotel

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!