“A lovely hotel but the breakfast was poor if not absent.”

Maryculter House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Attended a wedding in late June, decided to stay to take advantage of the beautiful setting and hotel. The setting and views were breath taking. The room was spacious and clean. However the bathroom was dimly lit and was not adequate for a person with poor sight. The wedding meal was perfect and the staff attentive and everything was well managed. The next morning my husband and I were looking forward to a cooked breakfast. We had the juice and noticed that there was a lack of cooked food out. The waitress stated that there would be additional food being brought out. I decided to wait as there was others who were also waiting. After waiting 15 minutes, and numerous apologies from the waitress, sausages and bacon arrived. However upon further inspection the sausages were raw in the middle and the bacon had hardly touched the pan, there was no sign of eggs or other cooked morsels. We decided to go home and I would have to cook breakfast. The male on reception when we checked out was not really that interested in our complaint, but stated he would tell the manager. To date Manager like the so called breakfast absent. So if you like a cooked breakfast buy it in ready to cook when you go home.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank michele h

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Your setting is a lovely historic house on the River Dee, very scottish and antique dining rooms and lounge areas. The grounds are open and have lovely patio spaces and even a golf course. The hotel itself is quaint...meaning lovely but old...dont expect any modern amenities besides a flat screen tv. It is out of the way but a 22 pound taxi ride took me to union street back to civilization. It would be a great location for a wedding or a short relaxing turn your phone off getaway...cause the wifi barely works!

Room Tip: There is no Air conditioning, choose a room river facing for nice views and fresh air.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My partner and I have stayed many times at the Marculter House hotel and have always had a wonderful experience. Their rooms are very nice and well kept and most of them have a really nice view of the River Dee.

We were very surprised when we entered their restaurant. As I mentioned, we'd been here many times before, but it was mainly in their function hall for Ceilighs and corporate events... never the restaurant.

... and we've been missing out.... this restaurant has to be one of the best in the Shire. Fine dining in all its glory. They've got a good selection of dishes to chose from and all come out presented well. Their wine list is extensive as well and very well priced.... for Aberdeen.

We were served by a lovely German waitress who was very helpful and gave the impression that she was passionate about service and making sure we were happy. There was a wedding going on as well, but she was very helpful in getting us a nice secluded corner in their drawing room where a lot of the wedding guests were having drinks.

This is the perfect restaurant for romantic meals and special occasions. We were just annoyed that we hadn't discovered this place earlier.

Only thing I would say is to be prepared for big parties in the hotel. They cater for weddings on most weekends so the hotel can get busy and lively. Thankfully though this does not affect the restaurant as it is exclusive to guests of the hotel and small groups which is on the other end of the hotel to where the hustle and bustle of where the weddings are held.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

"River View" room was a bit of a misnomer. By squinting very hard you could glimpse the river Dee behind trees and bushes. The room was comfortable enough (except for the pillows which were very hard), the Internet connection variable, the bathroom (if dimly lit) very good. The experience could have been more pleasurable hadn't there been a wedding which took over most of the hotel. The bar was completely taken over. I was even chased out of the residents' lounge where I was having a cup of tea as the wedding party had to come through. Dinner was fine, but the service was distracted as they got very busy with the wedding guests in the bar. One can understand that the hotel needs this business, but it does rather spoil the stay for the rest of us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
MHHDGM, Deputy General Manager at Maryculter House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Ms. Brown,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us at Maryculter House Hotel.

I'm delighted that you found the facilities of the hotel to your liking overall, but am terribly sorry that you felt your stay was negatively impacted by the fact that we had a wedding on during your time with us.

At the moment we are having extensive work carried out on the hotel (which is nearing completion) to provide wedding parties a private bar/reception area in which to enjoy drinks throughout the day, leaving our Poachers bar, Residents' Lounge and Priory Restaurant free for the enjoyment of our other guests not with the wedding (although the lounge may be used by wedding guests who are resident in the hotel throughout the evening).

When this work is completed, the issues you experienced should not arise again.

I'm also deeply sorry that you felt "chased out" of the lounge. The lounge is, at the moment, used for the bridal party "line up" and we felt that you'd find it very noisy and perhaps a little uncomfortable sitting in the room while 120 wedding guests filed past you while you read. I do recall offering you the option of re-locating to our lounge area in the front of the Priory Restaurant, however.

I appreciate your comments on your riverview room having a somwhat obscured view of the river - we don't own the 'beat' (section of the river) on which our hotel stands and the upkeep of the trees and hedgerows in this section is the responsibility of the beat owner. While these are normally very well maintained, there was a period when they became slightly overgrown.

I have already had this issue resolved.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post a review. I'm particularly pleased by the fact that ALL of the issues you have raised are easily remedied, and can assure you that steps are already being taken to do just that.

I'd like to be able to welcome you back when our renovations are complete and invite you to contact reception and ask for myself should you wish to return.

Best wishes,

Ed Tumath
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I attended a wedding here at the end of May.We had a lovely time and the staff were very helpful.The food and the service were very good.The drink was reasonably priced.For the amount of people attending the wedding there appeared to be less than adequate parking.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had our wedding here on the 7th of June and the venue was just amazing! I had never been here before as my wife organised our whole wedding. I was absolutely amazed by the scenery around the hotel. We were fortunate enough to get great weather so were able to have our ceremony in the court yard with the magnificent views of the River Dee as the back drop.
Everything from start to the finish was perfect. The staff were amazing and ensured that our every need was catered for. The meal was beautiful and the waiting staff were very efficient and friendly. The bar was well staffed so there was no long queue for drinks like I have seen at weddings at other venues. Considering the amount of alcohol consumed this was quite an achievement.
The rooms and hotel are beautifully decorated and the room with the huge fireplace and high ceiling is amazing.
I can't rate this venue highly enough, every service they provided us with was first class!! Thanks!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GWatt_13
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We managed to get at advance rate online of GBP100 B&B for 1 night. On arrival we were upgraded which was great! The rooms was a good size, bed was huge and has doors which opened out onto a patio. The bathroom was a good standard with a separate shower and bath. The staff were all lovely too. My only complained would be that breakfast was only served until 9.30am. For s Sunday this is pretty early in my option and to get it delivered to the room which finish only half an hour later it was £5 a head! Safe to say we didn’t have breakfast which was a bit if a waste, next time I’ll know to book a room only rate!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryculter
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Premier Inn Aberdeen South (Portlethen) Hotel
Cults Hotel
Cults Hotel
#48 of 65 in Aberdeen

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!