“Wedding”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
aberdeen
“Wedding”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were at our sons wedding on Friday 12th April and had a great wedding day. Ed organised the day well and Aileen was helpfill in the evening. Food was excellent and plenty of drink. Leading up to the wedding could have been better organised. My son and his new wife said that there were around 4 wedding organising staff and they didn't seem to communicate with each other as the would either get emails or phone calls asking about things that were already organised.I know this is a minor thing we had chicken as our main meal and the hotel wanted to put the gravy on the plates before it came out as they could not put boats on the tables due to health and safety so we asked if someone would come round and offer it to people as not everyone likes gravy but on the day we were given boats on the tables. Some of the guests had organised for early check in as the hotel charges £15 foe a 12.00 check in but some of the guest complained about the attitude of the staff. Why offer this service if they don't want to do it. Except for the little grumps above the day could have not gone better and everyone said what a great day it was. Breakfast is pleniful and lovelyThanks for a good day Maryculter House Hotel

Room Tip: Ogilvie Suite is a very comfortable suite with a river view only problem is the shower has such a bi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ambiman
MHHDGM, Deputy General Manager at Maryculter House Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Ambiman,

Thanks very much indeed for taking the time to post a review. I'm delighted that it was largely positive but also very much appreciate the less positive elements as it means that I can address the issues as a matter of urgency.

We've just recruited a new, dedicated, full-time wedding co-ordinator so the problems your son and his new wife experienced with dealing with a few different people should be resolved. Our wedding co-ordinator will handle everything to do with weddings in the hotel and will be available around the clock (she'll have a dedicated mobile number for brides and grooms to get in touch on) in the final two or three weeks before each wedding to deal with any last-minute queries.

I apologise for the confusion with the gravy. I know that your daughter-in-law said she'd have preferred the gravy to be on boats on the table so when the day came we wanted to give her what she had expressed a preference for. I don't know entirely why she was told in advance that this couldn't be done; but I will investigate.

In terms of the attitude of the staff regarding early check-in, I'd very much like to hear more about this so I can address the issue with the team members involved. If you have more information, please give me a call at the hotel to discuss.

Again, I'm delighted that your experience with us was largely positive - we take weddings here VERY personally so to hear that the memories of Maryculter House will be positive ones for your son and his wife really does make all the team here very happy.

Best wishes - we hope to see you again.

Ed Tumath
Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
VICTORIA
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is an old property - and I mean that in the nicest way. Creaky floors, common area with stone fireplace, small rooms with comfy bed, good bath.
I was staying for a week on business and had the good fortune to be reserved here, even though I wanted to stay in town. But with a car it was a great chance to see more of Aberdeenshire.
Meals are hearty and include many local specialties that require a little courage to try, but well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the River Dee. It is a bucolic setting you wouldn't want to miss.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Harvey M,

Many thanks indeed for taking the time to review your recent visit with us.

We're all delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed having the opportunity to look after you.

We're about to undertake some major refurbishment work here in the hotel so we'll be able to offer even more amenities and comfort for our guests; but we're going to be VERY careful not to lose the charm that makes the hotel so special.

Best wishes,

Ed Tumath
Deputy General Manager
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My first hand experience of this hotel had been favourable, I attended a wedding there a few years ago so was delighted to know that I would be staying there again to attend my son's wedding. 20 rooms in total we booked as we were travelling to Aberdeen from all areas.
We were booked in for the night before the wedding and the night of the wedding. Content that this was all booked in February 2012 you can imagine how dismayed we were to be informed by our very upset future daughter in law that she was no longer allowed to wear her wedding dress in the hotel. 6 Weeks before her wedding, she was beside herself - the Manager at the Maryculter was always aware that she was leaving from the Hotel to head to her wedding venue, we all were, in fact we had even booked a private room for our evening meal the night before the wedding - it was well known that the wedding party was leaving from and returning to the Hotel.
The reason given for this was that there was a another wedding being held in the hotel and that the policy was that there could only be one bride in the hotel at a time. All very well but why then did they book another wedding knowing that they already had a bride in the hotel, my future daughter in law and indeed a whole bridal party. All monies were refunded but what price can you put on having peace of mind - my future daughter in law is now nervous about things, she is scared that other arrangements made could be disregarded just as easily, all of this at a time she should be looking forward to her big day! Worse still, she wrote to the manager and he had not the decency to reply. Poor service all round I believe.
On a more positive note the Raemoir House Hotel, a hotel of the same standing and close to the wedding venue, was able to accommodate all the guest and my son moved the whole wedding party and we are looking forward to staying there.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CatherineFerguson
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked this hotel for use for our wedding as we needed somewhere to stay for our guests and ourselves. We booked in February 2012. In March 2013 I was told there was a wedding on at the hotel and the only allow one bride a day. Why on earth you would book another bride in after I had booked the majority of the rooms is beyond me. The Manager's attitude was appalling and didnt once apologise until last minute. I was told I wasnt allowed to wear my wedding dress and had to make sure I had exact times of where I would be at all times in case I bumped into her. If the so called Manager had taken an interest in the bookings of the hotel in the first place he would have noticed there was already a bride booked in i.e. me.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have made it clear to everyone i know never to book this place. I moved every single one of my guests as they all have the same attitude with this hotel now. This is not how to run a business. I was very lucky i managed to get a new hotel at 6 weeks to my wedding.

So thank you manager for ruining part of my wedding !!!!

Room Tip: dont book this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Thundercatsgirl
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A lovely location and an amazing house. The manager was friendly and informative, as we asked about other events.
The food was lovely and very good value.
The atmosphere was slightly lacking due to only one other set of diners but it was a monday night.
Could do with a slight refurbishment i.e bathrooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kippford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Very good room. Lovely riverside location. Varied food menu and quality. Historic buildings are part of house and gardens. Knights Templar roots. Handy for sightseeing and touring. Good quiet room was spacious and very clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently. The bed was very comfortable and the food was good. I loved the breakfast in the morning, because it was freshly cooked (no tinned mushrooms). Also, a good range of options for vegetarians. The staff at dinner the evening before were very helpful and friendly - they made sure that the veggie was well looked after. I do agree with other reviews that the interior is looking a bit tired.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryculter
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
#1 of 5 in Inverurie
Ship Inn
Ship Inn
#1 of 1 in Stonehaven

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!