“Unreliable - our experience”

Maryculter House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
“Unreliable - our experience”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My first hand experience of this hotel had been favourable, I attended a wedding there a few years ago so was delighted to know that I would be staying there again to attend my son's wedding. 20 rooms in total we booked as we were travelling to Aberdeen from all areas.
We were booked in for the night before the wedding and the night of the wedding. Content that this was all booked in February 2012 you can imagine how dismayed we were to be informed by our very upset future daughter in law that she was no longer allowed to wear her wedding dress in the hotel. 6 Weeks before her wedding, she was beside herself - the Manager at the Maryculter was always aware that she was leaving from the Hotel to head to her wedding venue, we all were, in fact we had even booked a private room for our evening meal the night before the wedding - it was well known that the wedding party was leaving from and returning to the Hotel.
The reason given for this was that there was a another wedding being held in the hotel and that the policy was that there could only be one bride in the hotel at a time. All very well but why then did they book another wedding knowing that they already had a bride in the hotel, my future daughter in law and indeed a whole bridal party. All monies were refunded but what price can you put on having peace of mind - my future daughter in law is now nervous about things, she is scared that other arrangements made could be disregarded just as easily, all of this at a time she should be looking forward to her big day! Worse still, she wrote to the manager and he had not the decency to reply. Poor service all round I believe.
On a more positive note the Raemoir House Hotel, a hotel of the same standing and close to the wedding venue, was able to accommodate all the guest and my son moved the whole wedding party and we are looking forward to staying there.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CatherineFerguson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Aberdeen
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We booked this hotel for use for our wedding as we needed somewhere to stay for our guests and ourselves. We booked in February 2012. In March 2013 I was told there was a wedding on at the hotel and the only allow one bride a day. Why on earth you would book another bride in after I had booked the majority of the rooms is beyond me. The Manager's attitude was appalling and didnt once apologise until last minute. I was told I wasnt allowed to wear my wedding dress and had to make sure I had exact times of where I would be at all times in case I bumped into her. If the so called Manager had taken an interest in the bookings of the hotel in the first place he would have noticed there was already a bride booked in i.e. me.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I have made it clear to everyone i know never to book this place. I moved every single one of my guests as they all have the same attitude with this hotel now. This is not how to run a business. I was very lucky i managed to get a new hotel at 6 weeks to my wedding.

So thank you manager for ruining part of my wedding !!!!

Room Tip: dont book this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Thundercatsgirl
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A lovely location and an amazing house. The manager was friendly and informative, as we asked about other events.
The food was lovely and very good value.
The atmosphere was slightly lacking due to only one other set of diners but it was a monday night.
Could do with a slight refurbishment i.e bathrooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kippford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Very good room. Lovely riverside location. Varied food menu and quality. Historic buildings are part of house and gardens. Knights Templar roots. Handy for sightseeing and touring. Good quiet room was spacious and very clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently. The bed was very comfortable and the food was good. I loved the breakfast in the morning, because it was freshly cooked (no tinned mushrooms). Also, a good range of options for vegetarians. The staff at dinner the evening before were very helpful and friendly - they made sure that the veggie was well looked after. I do agree with other reviews that the interior is looking a bit tired.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Norton St Philip, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My family treated me to lunch here. We had to pay in full in advance a week before. It was really disappointing as there was nothing special - no flowers on the tables or tablecloths. It was like walking in for a Pub lunch. No special Mother's Day presentation. The buffet was low quality and very limited. It did not even look attractive. The Roast Beef was good and a generous portion was dished out. There was no ambiance, no music and tables were squeezed in. I just wanted to eat and leave. We never received any receipts for the prepaid lunch either!

Room Tip: This review is for the pub restaurant only.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brisbanemad
Aberdeen
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We arrived say 2.30-3pm and was told kitchen was closed - then the member of staff asked kitchen to cook for us - YES we were delighted
the food was Amazing lovely we sat in the poachers lounge views of the river
i had wild mushrooms poached egg on toast - nom nom
then rib beef with all trimmings
dessert was sticky toffee pudding with the most lush ice cream all for £30.00 for 3 courses will defo go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank uptowngirl01
MHHDGM, Manager at Maryculter House Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hi there uptowngirl01

Thanks for posting a review of your visit to us for lunch on Sunday.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your meal and both the chef on duty (Dylan) and I were pleased to be able to welcome you even outside our normal opening hours (although, folks, we do serve a full soup/sandwich menu throughout the day even outside the restaurant's hours of operation).

I look forward to welcoming you back for Lesley's wedding.

Best wishes,

Ed Tumath
Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryculter
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
The Aberdeen Altens Hotel
Thainstone House
Thainstone House
#1 of 5 in Inverurie

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!