“Lovely!!!”

Maryculter House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maryculter
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Went to a wedding here and the whole day and night went well and with good service! Food was yummy and the staff were good. The only faults was the price of the drinks that stung the bank balance. Would go back

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Tiffany M

Reviewed October 1, 2012

This stay was designed to be a surprise romantic overnight stay for my boyfriend. The hotel itself is lovely, the evening meal was absolutely delicious and the room was nice; not huge, but tastefully decorated.

The reception staff member in the evening was very nice, as was the breakfast staff and a lady working in the bar in the evening.

Our interactions with the new Manager Peter Sim, unfortunately, spoiled this visit for us. When we arrived, we wanted to sit in the residents lounge and have a drink. There was no-one around to serve us and no-one at the bar so I went to reception who said they would give someone a call to come and serve us.

A gentleman appeared (whom I found out later was the Manager, Peter Sim) and said 'Yes?' in a clearly very fed up manner as if we were inconveniencing him. I asked him if we could order a beer, he said 'Yes!' in the same objectionable manner. I asked what types they served and he listed through them very quickly. I asked what ones were on draft and he looked at me like I was an idiot and started quickly listing through the same list again (clearly they were not all on draft). By this point I was so uncomfortable at his level of aggression and rudeness that I asked if we had done something to upset him. At this point his manner changed and he said 'no I am just out of breath because I've been moving tables'. I wasn't sure what that had to do with being so rude but he was nicer after that and we let it go.

At dinner that night, the same Manager came to take our dinner order, I said I had a question I'd like to ask about the menu, he said 'certainly'. I asked how pink the lamb was usually cooked, he said 'pink!' again in a very aggressive, you are an idiot asking that question type of manner. I couldn't believe he was behaving in the same way after being so rude earlier. I clarified by asking was it just pink in the very centre or all the way through. He then said 'it's pink!, if you don't want it pink, order the rump of lamb'. I don't know what my face looked like then but he started back tracking saying it was meant to be pink but they cook could it longer if I really wanted it but that's not how it was meant to be. I have to say I don't think I've ever been so disgusted by someone's manner working in a service industry or indeed in any industry for that matter.

During breakfast the following morning (which was delicious - great variety, great service), I overheard another couple complaining to the breakfast staff about Peter Sim's behaviour torwards them the previous evening too. They had been visiting the hotel previously and had enjoyed it but this was their first time since Peter Sim had taken over as the Manager and were equally unimpressed and shocked.

I feel like I really wasted my money coming to this hotel, I wouldn't recommend it unless new management take over. What a pity to ruin such a nice hotel, I have no idea why this man would have been given this job he is so very clearly unsuited to.

My advice is to save your money and go somewhere else where you will be treated with respect by people that appreciate your business.

Room Tip: Ground floor with a river view was mostly blocked by trees and vegetation, a floor higher up would g...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RZM123_12
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Been here many times and just gets worse each time! Bar staff miserable and rude with no charisma. Rooms are poor and dated, Will not return here on my own preference and will not recommend to friends.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Pacco212
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for a family wedding. The food was lovely and the rooms were nice with a wetroom style bathroom. We had a view over the River Dee which was really pretty. Staff were helpful and friendly. If you want to stay in a building with character and history then Maryculter House is a great option.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a romantic night away in September. The hotel room was lovely - not huge, but spotless, very comfortable bed, and great bathroom with walk-in shower. The setting is very peaceful considering how close the hotel is to Aberdeen - we had a walk beside the river before dinner, and it was totally quiet at night. We ate dinner in hotel restaurant - it was a Sunday night, so only the bar menu seemed to be available, but the food was lovely and reasonably priced.

The service was the thing that made it really special - the staff went out of their way and were all very friendly and helpful. We were served pre-dinner drinks in the spectacular residents lounge (complete with suits of armour!), and when we took after dinner coffee there, they lit the log fire for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

We spent one night at Maryculter house hotel as part of a long weekend "up north". It's a charming hotel on the banks of a river, the grounds contain an old "templar" graveyard which is worth a look if that's your thing. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the room was nice, the restaurant and breakfast were good but best of of all is the residents lounge, open fireplace, comfy old couches, suits of armour,stags heads and banners hanging from the ceiling. The perfect place to enjoy an after dinner drink or two :-)

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Was here for a wedding in July 2012. The wedding itself was faultless except a half hour (or so) delay between the ceremony and the reception. The layout of the hotel is very interesting,the history of the hotel suggests random bits were added onto the house throughout the centuries,this has various opinions amongst friends, seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing. The room was lovely and i can not fault it. Breakfast buffet was fantastic also.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maryculter
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Premier Inn Aberdeen South (Portlethen) Hotel
Cults Hotel
Cults Hotel
#48 of 65 in Aberdeen

Been to Maryculter House Hotel? Share your experiences!