“Nice and Quiet”
Review of Country Hideaway

Country Hideaway
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Cleveland
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We actually own at this timeshare and love it. It is very quiet - even if there are other folks in the building, there's very little noise from other units. However, we are always on the upper floor, so I can't say anything about the lower floor noise levels. This is not the resort to go to if you're wanting fancy rooms - it is an older resort, but kept clean and well-maintained. There are activities every day, and very friendly staff. It's only about a 10 minute drive to Helen, and not too far from several state parks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Carol J
There are newer reviews for Country Hideaway

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We rented a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo at the end of July. We had 4 adults and 4 children under the age of 4. We never felt cramped and had plenty of space to move around. Everything was extremely clean. The view was amazing. The place is a little older, but well maintained. We visited two waterfalls, the city of Helen, and the Cabbage Patch Hospital. Lots to do in a quiet and beautiful setting. Perfect for families or a romantic getaway.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank janie652
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a restful and quiet two day stay. The condo was clean and comfortable. It was located on the lake. Our condo had four units, but we were the only unit that was occupied. That certainly added to the quietness. If the other units were occupied I am sure we would have heard much more noise, especially if they had children. It was a two bedroom and two bath unit. The deck with swing and picnic table was nice. The unit had a tv both upstairs and downstairs. The kitchen was fully equipped. The amenities are old and limited, but we went for peace and quiet. If you are looking for the excitement of an amusement park or waterpark this is not the place for you. We used an internet special which included $20 a day for food and drinks at the diner. The food was ok. The Mayfield ice cream was delicious. The water slide and putt putt golf are old. The two swimming pools at the clubhouse were nice and not crowded. There is a $5 a day amenity fee per person. They have a horse stable offering trail rides(additional fee). It looked nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Couple of things to remember if you go. Bring beach towels for the pools. Bring shampoo. The check-out time at 10:00am was a little early, especially since check-in time was at 4:00pm. The condo was the best part of the deal. The amenities are old and limited. If you are looking for a laid back getaway this might be the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank rbonjour
Reviewed September 5, 2009

I know that at the end of posting this review, I’ll be asked if I’d recommend this resort to a friend. Figured I’d get it out of the way now. My recommendation to a friend depends on what they’re looking for. If my friend is looking for glitz, glamour and non-stop action with a luxurious resort waiting for his/her return, I’d say “No way!” Anything close to that description is about two hours south in Atlanta. However, if relaxation in a beautiful setting where one can truly get in touch with nature and its creatures big and small, where, in either direction of the resort’s location one can find a chain grocery store and the Alpine town of Helen with a variety of restaurants, river tubing and limited sight-seeing is what my friend has in mind, then I say “Absolutely!”

Country Hideaway resort offers mountain and lake views right outside your windows. A deck with a wooden swing and picnic table allow you to take in the fresh air while enjoying the view. The mountains are seemingly within an arm’s length away, yet the resort is not so buried within the mountains that I couldn’t get a cell phone signal. The Country Hideaway grounds are well-maintained.

The living room with fireplace, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom are spacious, although it seems the unit might not have been occupied for a while. The pull-out couch was extremely dusty and there were cobwebs throughout the unit. Many dead beetles were found in the kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Housekeeping probably would’ve cleaned the unit again, if requested, but I took care of it myself. The jetted tub was nice to come back to after spending some time experiencing the resort. The kitchen is fully stocked with all of the cookware one would need for a large meal. The dishwasher came in handy throughout the week. The one-bedroom unit didn’t have a DVD player, but I checked out one in the management office for the entire week, no charge. There is a TV/VCR combo in the living room and a huge television in the bedroom. There’s no in-unit laundry, but the on-site complimentary facilities are a plus.

Check-in and check-out were smooth. All staff members were extremely friendly with the exception of one woman who barely allowed me to enter the activities center before harassing me for my activities card. Her cold demeanor began to thaw as she scrutinized my card. A large group of teens entered with a man showing his activities card. She commented to him, “I assume they all have activities cards,” as they were racking the balls for a game of pool. He answered in the affirmative, yet none of them offered to show the cards and she didn’t demand to see them. Lesson learned: Keep the card visible upon entering any of the buildings.

The resort has a number of amenities, such as paddle and row boats, miniature golf and a waterslide; but be prepared to shell out an additional daily fee for usage. At the time of my visit, the charge was $4 per person, per day, whether you use the amenities or choose to avoid them. As a solo traveler, the $28 “donation” didn’t break the bank for my week’s stay. Reasonable for one person, considering WI-FI was free in a few of the common areas and I used it just about every day. I figure if each activity costs $4 each, per use, I came out on top. However, one would have to acknowledge that the extra out-of-pocket cost could be an added financial burden with a larger party.

The first two days I took out a paddle boat and enjoyed the company of geese. The property has a number of sites, including an RV/private residences section and cabin/chalet rentals. There’s a small beach that I saw while on the paddle boat, but it wasn’t too inviting. The day before my departure, I ventured over to the other side and played mini golf. The course leaves something to be desired. It appears that no upgrades have been done since it was put in. The water slide seemed enjoyable; some young teens leaving it said it was a lot of fun. There's a diner, but no restaurant, next to the mini golf and water slide. It offers breakfast and dinner. I believe the pizza can be delivered to the unit.

Country Hideaway collected a $100 security deposit, which I did receive back within 10 days, as promised. (If you leave a SASE, they mail your credit card slip or personal check back to you.)

Urban dwellers get your mind and bodies ready. Although there are modern conveniences, you’re a long ways away from big city living. There were a few spiders, big and small, crickets and small flying insects wanting to occupy the unit. Outdoors I came across plenty of creatures not found back home in Chicago – salamander, frogs, chipmunk, turtles and some other insects I’ve never seen before (one looked like a big black ant bred with a ladybug). There was talk by staff members about bear being spotted twice on the other side of the property where the RVs are located, but thankfully, I didn’t see any. If a country hideaway is what you want, this resort most certainly delivers.

Tip: Helen, GA is about a 10-minute drive away. It offers delicious restaurants including Mexican, BBQ and Bavarian. Be sure to go a little further down Main Street to the visitor’s center. It’s located just behind the post office. There you can get discount sheets for dining, shopping, attractions and lodging. There are also tons of the typical items like maps and brochures, for happenings in and around the area. A river tubing outfit is located right behind the visitor’s center. For those interested, there are a few wineries in the area as well as a number of state parks.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
20  Thank iluv2go2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cleveland
Knights Inn Cleveland
#17 of 19 in Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
Hampton Inn Helen
#3 of 19 in Helen

Been to Country Hideaway? Share your experiences!