All reviewsgolf courseindoor poolplay golfspa treatmentspro shopfitness centerin great shapelooked greathiking trailtennis courtsexcellent golfmountain golfgrounds are beautifulnice staygolf tripgreat mountainbreakfast was included
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Two days here while attending wedding in Clayton. Service was friendly at check-in and accommodated our request for late check-out. Room was fine with great view (plenty of Hot water). Outdoor pool facility was perfect - did not use indoor pool but it looked great as well. Good continental breakfast in dining room - dining area very nice with view. Relatives that golfed enjoyed the course. Overall, very good experience - much, much better than some of the reviews that I read!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JGO407
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have been to Kingwood several times in the past and usually brought groups with us, The golf course has been the main attraction for our groups. Robert who is responsible for the carts is a super nice guy but they recently changed golf pros and Lewis the new pro has very poor customer service skills and did nothing to accomodate or assist us in making our stay at Kingwood a pleasant experience. My friend who booked us on this trip got a tee time for the day of our arriival and asked Patty the staff member if we would have a problem playing early the next morning on our last day and was informed that it would be no problem. We were told by Lewis the next morning that there was no way we could got get off that morning although the first tee time was not booked until nine and we could have been accomodated since we were ready to play any time before that time.The excuse offered was that grounds crew was spaying but some of the guys who worked there had told us there should be no problem getting off a little before nine since the crews were well ahead and almost finished their work.As clients he should bent over backwards to assist us but evidently he as some authority issues and choose not to do so. I belong to two private clubs and it is unlikely that we will be scheduling any groups there in the future unless the golf pro learns that the customer always comes first.All in all it was a very poor experience because of him.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Bill H
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Was here for two days for a company leadership retreat. The best part of the stay was our golf outing; I just loved this course that climbed the foothills and crossed creeks in every direction. Had tremendous enjoyment with the course. The greens were a bit bumpy ... probably having been aerated in the past several weeks. But you just couldn't beat the views and topography changes.

I stayed in a condo and it was clean with spartan but sufficient furniture. In a modern world, was kind of a pain as I couldn't get cell reception in the condo for AT&T.

We had breakfast every morning in the club which was basic but fine. The kitchen had box lunches for us before golf and they were pretty minimalistic. After golf, we had dinner on the deck overlooking the 9th green which was a great atmosphere. The food was good but there were some challenges getting everyone's food on time.

Our meetings were in the spa building. The challenge was that the resort wifi worked intermittently (at best) and for a wired company ... this is quite the pain.

Overall i loved the scenery and the golf experience. The staff at the facility were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank GaPeppy
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Had resevations to visit the spa. Bad weather was moving in so they ask if we could reschedule. Had no problem rescheduling the appt. However, the staff couldn't agree on a time, when they could all be there together. So they kept calling us & checking if this time or that time was alright. I would agree. Then they would call back & say that time wouldn't work for another employee. So finally, I just called them & ask them to cancel the appt.
Mainly bc we got frustrated with all the run around.
I knew bad weather was moving into the area. That was the reason they wanted to reschedule. I just wish they would have worked all the details out & then called me to let me know. Bc my time was flexible.
So I didn't get to visit the area at all. My experience with the staff was enough for me at the moment.

Stayed: January 2013
10  Thank RhondaWorthington25
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The resort is in a beautiful setting. The golf course is very nice. That is the only reason it got two stars from me. First thing I was told on arrival was the ice maker may or may not work. Hot water not working, toilet leaking, mold around tub, ancient bedspreads, old dingy smelling room. The maid was aware of the leaky toilet, so she stuffed a towel behind it to catch the leak. Staff blamed it on the fact that this is the slow season when they "fix things." When I reported the leaky toilet for the second time, they asked me if I wanted them to fix it...duh... Beautiful wood floor in lobby looks like it has not been polished in years, Continental breakfast was worse than a cheap roadside motel. The day the restaurant was open while we were there, there were 4 items, scrambled eggs, bacon, grits(all in one lump) and biscuits. No other choices. Oh yeah, they did have the no name oatmeal and hot water. When I talked to the staff about the problems, I pointed out that nobody had even mentioned any form of compensation. One fellow chimed in, "How did you know we were not planning to?". No compensation was offered. We could have moved to another room with no hot water. There appeared to only be three rooms occupied. One would think they would have at least three rooms that were fit for guests. Tried to get a massage at the spa. No answer, so I drove. Girl was sitting by phone reading. I asked her to see about booking a massage that day, but she never called back. Only 3 cars parked, so I assume only 3 guests in the hotel, but no openings??? Spa looked nice, but it was empty and service was non-existent. Better hope you don't get locked outr after 5pm. The staff leaves. No way to call after hours either. Luckily, each room had its own phone number, so we were able to tell folks how to call directly. Switchboard is closed after 5. My friend wanted a hot dog for his son after golf, but the only one on the hot dog rollers was burned. They did offer to warm one up in the microwave. Nothing but the best....He went to McDonalds instead. My wife and I both have sore hips and backs from the mattresses. This could be an oustanding destination resort if the hotel had decent management. It is a shame to see it go to waste like this.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Jim S
Elizabeth R, Manager at Kingwood Country Club & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for commenting on the beauty of our property! Unfortunatley I was here on the 20th when you checked in with your traveling compainions and we were not aware at that time that the new pump for the hot water would go out again the next morning! You were traveling with your dogs and our designated pet rooms are located in the lower building for guest convience to walking. My son and daughter in law were also staying in your building and it was on again off again for them as well! The front desk staff did offer to move you to the upper building...we did have plenty of availability in the hotel..the condos were all sold out or we would have offered one of those to you! We were very full in the condos with families participating in our thanksgiving package which included golf, spa treatments and dinner! I apologize that you were not made aware of the 24 hour contact number if you have any needs..it is printed in your key card holder, also by the phone and posted on the front door of the Welcome Center. I can be contacted by calling the resort and asking to speak with the hotel manager. I was on a few days vacation to visit with my son who was on leave from the service.