“Hospitality FAIL”

Kingwood Country Club & Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Clayton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights last week for a friend's wedding. The company and the reception were the only good things about my stay here. From the moment we checked in, the front desk (the lady's name was Joy and she was hardly joyful) screwed up the bride and groom's reservations. They were not even apologetic and did not offer anything for the inconvenience. The wi-fi connection was a joke. The free breakfast was the same butter-drenched items everyday. I didn't even eat it and couldn't find a single person to ask for a bagel instead. I can't believe they had the nerve to leave a tip jar on the serving bar! It got cold at night so we turned on the heat in our room, which smelled like fire. Sure enough, the fire alarm went off seconds later. The cherry on top for me was that on the day of the wedding, the front desk lady gave us WRONG directions to the church! We missed the bride walking down the aisle :( The rooms were ok and the golf course was nice, but the customer service was so poor that it prompted me to take the time to write a review, which I have never done before. I HIGHLY suggest staying somewhere else in Clayton, Georgia. But while you're there, you must eat at The Mexican Store. It was absolutely delicious! We ate there twice! The wedding reception was lovely but that was thanks to the efforts of the bride and groom and their families.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kaity_FL

Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I decided to go check out the fall foliage in North Georgia last weekend. Since this was an unplanned trip, we did not book any hotel room in advance. Nearly every place we called while driving was fully booked for the peak weekend until we found Kingwood Resort. Not only did they allow one night stay on weekend, the rate was only $99 including breakfast!

Kingwood was a lovely place to stay. There was a wedding reception at the main dining room when we checked in that night which looked romantic with huge chandeliers hanging from the original wood ceiling. Being an event planner myself, I decided I must check out the facility in the morning so after breakfast, I took a little tour with Mr. Jefferson Giles, the banquet manager. They had built an outdoor altar near the golf course which looked great for an outdoor wedding ceremony. Mr.Giles also shared the wedding packages information with me and the prices were very reasonable.

After the short tour, my husband and I even found time to check ou the hiking trail within the resort which ended at a small waterfalls. Overall, I found this resort stay to be very relaxing. Perhaps next time I should book a spa treatment at the full service spa if I have more time. We also drove around after check out to look at the condos that were situated at the other side of the resort away from the hotel rooms. I think the condos can be a great option if there are gatherings for friends and families and you need more than a standard hotel room.

If you are looking for a quick getaway from Atlanta, you should definitely check out the Kingwood resort!

1  Thank Jls3721
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is a lovely resort. But it has one flaw. One that cannot be overlooked. The customer service provided by a woman at the front desk named Patty. She is unfriendly, rude, and displays a bad attitude that you can pick up on instantly. She does not understand how important good customer service is, and how much less energy it takes to be kind. After all, this is a resort. She should behave with more class. I won't go into the whole story, but it involved a slight misunderstanding with a maid and something we asked for. The maid got yelled at by Patty, and I made sure to call the office back and let Patty know that all was fine and the maid had indeed delivered what we asked for and it was just an oversight. I did tell Patty that she needed to work on her approach and that she was rude to her customers. Apparently her coworkers as well. At the end of the day, bad customer service can make the prettiest of places lose their luster. I will be writing a formal complaint.

1  Thank Melanie G
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We didn't stay at Kingwood Resort, we only played golf. All I can say is that this was one of the best golf courses my husband has ever played at. I'm not a golfer, so I rode along to take pictures of the mountain scenery. I couldn't stop taking pictures. It is a real mountain golf course. Lots of nature all around, well maintained greens & fairways. The Pro Shop staff were outstanding. I was notified 4 days before our arrival that we needed to push our T-time back 2 1/2 hours. When we arrived we spoke to Robert & Lewis and they were able to get my husband playing golf within a 1/2 hour. Very friendly and helpful staff all over the golf course. We will be back next Fall with our family.

Room Tip: Watch out for a Mama Bear and her 2 cubs on the Golf Course
Reviewed October 3, 2011

The golf course was in great shape and the staff were super nice and friendly -Rooms were very clean and nice Served a hot breakfast one day and it was very good-second day was a continental breakfast which was so so. I would go back
Bill Hayes
Aiken south carolina

Room Tip: rooms near the main club house are very convenient to the golf course
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bill H
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Golf course was excellent! Tee boxes, fairways and greens in fantastic shape. WOW!! Magnificent mountain course with beautiful views. The room we had was plain but very clean with 2 queen beds, a balcony, small fridge, coffee maker, iron, etc. New wall paper in bathroom and sink area. AC unit worked well, and was quiet. I just want a clean room when I stay somewhere and this place was clean. Older style tv with cable. Nice, clean furniture. Place has an indoor pool but closes around 6:30, which is too early in my opinion. Pool/spa area was clean and no one around, had the whole place to ourselves. We will be coming back!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2011

What a beautiful course- perfect condition and remarkable scenary!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Quality Inn & Suites Mt. Chalet
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Days Inn Clayton
Days Inn Clayton
#3 of 3 in Clayton
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Helen, GA
Americas Best Value Inn
Mountain Aire Cottages & Inn

Been to Kingwood Country Club & Resort? Share your experiences!