“Love Clayton Cafe”

Clayton Cafe
Ranked #11 of 57 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We've been going to the Clayton Cafe for almost 15 years. Always friendly service. Good "meat &..." place. If you want the local dirt or to meet new people, sit at the community table in the back.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I had lunch here. The food was o.k. But nothing to write home about. I do not think that I will go back because it was so ordinary.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Basic breakfast Many locals . Had pancakes . Nothing special, but nothing wrong either. In fact, we ate here 2 mornings while staying in this area last yr. Liked that so many of the people were regulars and you can never go wrong with a local breakfast place!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Had eaten here with friends once in the past and thought it was good, so we decided to catch a late lunch. Got to the restaurant and there was a "closed" sign posted...at 2:00 in the afternoon. Both my wife and I looked and did not see any business hours posted...at least they weren't obvious if they were there. Lights were on and people were inside, so I stuck my head in the door and asked if they were open. Smart aleck guy replied that, "If we were open, the sign would say 'Open.' I said I thought maybe he just forgot to turn it around...not the first time this would have happened at a business, but he had a real attitude problem and made some other rude comment which I can't remember at the moment. At the same time, some woman with a frown on her face said, "We open at 6:30am." I guess she made this comment as some justification for why they were closed so early. Not really a good reason, as I've eaten in very fine establishments that were open just as early and served dinner well into the night.

My point is that it doesn't take that much effort to simply say, "I'm sorry, we close at 2:00pm, and we've just got a few remaining customers left over from lunch, but we'd love to see you tomorrow. Thanks for remembering us and coming by." Had they done this, I would have more than likely been back tomorrow. Now, I doubt that I will ever go there again just out of principle.

As a side note, 2 other couples who came in right after me had a similar experience. I overheard one of the ladies saying, "That's stupid." As a small business, these people need to learn that when a person has a good experience, they might tell 5 people, but when a person has a bad experience, they will go out of their way to make sure as many people as possible hear about it. Basically, all the good will they established from working all day (and more) was completely wasted by making idiotic comments to potential customers who just happened to come in at the end of their day.

2  Thank Mark M
Reviewed August 12, 2012

we go to early church and then to the clayton cafe for breakfast. and if we're in clayton during the week we always stop by for lunch; it's not the best place i've ever eaten but it 's very good!