“Great variety of Sandwiches and Salads”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Universal Joint

Universal Joint
Ranked #4 of 54 Restaurants in Clayton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub, Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Creative burgers, wings, well thought out menu with everything made in house. A full bar including 16 draft beers featuring craft and domestic. Outdoor seating and live music Friday and Saturdays May through October.
Franklin, North Carolina
“Great variety of Sandwiches and Salads”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

I have been here several times and the meals are very good. They have great burgers, pimento sandwiches, fish tacos and salads. They offer a large variety of menu items. The restaurant is located in an old service station and has a large outdoor seating area. It's a great place to go, when it's a nice day. The only downside is the service. Depending on which wait staff person you get, the service is either good or not so good. This last time I went, I had suggested to the group (15) that we stop here for lunch. Everyone got their meal except me and after about 8 min of waiting had to ask what happened. The kitchen never got the order and the waitress never even said she was sorry. The "very good" rating I gave is for the food, not the service.

• Visited March 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The service was horrible.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

My husband and I went for St. Patrick's day, the bartenders didn't even look twice at us! For the volume of people Vs. Staff they should have been able to handle the bar perfectly well. However the two female blonde bartender's acted as if we never sat down at their bar we sat with empty drinks for TEN MINUTES!! Hopefully they were having an off night.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank traci11991
“Good Burgers and tater tots”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been to this place many times and I can enthusiastically recommend the burgers and tater tots. The chicken wings are good also. I have been solo, with friends and with my wife. The service has usually been poor unless you drink, which I don't. The management has always been nice and accommodates for the special circumstances associated with my colleagues. The food is generally average sometimes though it is excellent. It depends on who is cooking what. Beer drinkers love this place for service and variety and if I drank, it would probably be a favorite. Overall, it is average

• Visited September 2013
Clayton, Georgia
“Excellent beer, burgers and quesadillas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Love this place. At least 20 beers on tap, including cider. Wonderful selection of creative burger combinations and creative quesadillas. Salads are delicious, as is the bbq pork. An eclectic menu with a fun vibe. In a renovated 1950s service station, in a warm season, it also has great outdoor seating and a fire pit for the cool nights. Even a bandstand and live music some nights. Fun place with great casual dining.

• Visited February 2014
Atlanta
“Great sandwiches, burgers and beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We were in Clayton on a chilly day in February looking for a good place to have lunch. Our friends steered us here, and I'm glad they did. As you may already know, this restaurant is located in an old service station and they tried to keep some of that ambiance. I'm not sure why, except it is different. We sat at a booth and were promptly greeted by our server who knew the menu and was able to offer suggestions. Whenever there are craft beers offered on draft I usually have one (or two) and they had over a dozen to choose among- I got the Highland Gaelic Ale which is always good.

For my meal I chose the cheddar bacon burger which turned out to be a sizable burger made from good quality beef and done to my request (medium, which had some pink but no red inside). The cheddar was flavorful, and the applewood smoked bacon made this really juicy and tasty- my mouth starts to water just remembering it. I chose the french fries on the side, which were thick cut and good. I appreciate that they leave the condiments off their burgers and let the diner apply them.

My wife got the brisket dip- a french dip made with- you guessed it- brisket. She loved it, but had trouble finishing it, that's a big sandwich. Overall I think it was the food that gets the highest marks (as well as the beer), the service was very good, the pricing reasonable, I would gladly go back next time I'm in Clayton, in spite of the ambiance (or lack of).

Based on my observations from one trip (for what it's worth), service is better inside and seating is more pleasant outside, weather permitting.

• Visited February 2014