“Best B&B in the Southeast!”
Review of Beechwood Inn

Beechwood Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Clayton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta
“Best B&B in the Southeast!”
Reviewed January 7, 2009

Beechwood Inn is the perfect getaway from city life. My husband and I have visited Beechwood on two occasions and both trips have been amazing.

The Inn has a lot of charm: it was built in 1922 and has much of its original materials. We love the guest rooms with their fireplaces, cozy robes, and soft sheets.

However, the best part of the Inn is the innkeepers: David and Gayle (and their dog Scupper). David and Gayle are true wine connoisseurs. Their knowledge of wine is incredible and so are their choices for wine pairings. The Inn holds a "wine thirty" every night with wine and appetizers. Whether the featured wine is a rare variety or one of the kinds they bottle themselves, they are superb.

If you can, visit Beechwood when they are hosting one of their famous multi-course dinners. David and Gayle are also fabulous chefs who parallel those found in Atlanta. They use nothing but the best ingredients and the freshest produce and meat. In addition to the great food, they pair a different wine with each course. Let's just say, you won't leave hungry.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway or if you are a wine lover, there's no better B&B in the South!

• Liked — Food & wine; great guest rooms; excellent service
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Clarkesville, Georgia
Reviewed November 30, 2008

This was our second visit to the Beechwood Inn and we shall continue to go back as often as we can. David and Gayle and all their staff are warm hosts, providing a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The historic character of the inn and the comfort of the rooms provide simple luxury without pretension. We stayed in the Savannah Suite - charming room with a view across to the mountains. Saturday dinner with wine pairings was wonderful both visits - David explained each course and the excellent wine choices with humor and a clear love of his craft. On other nights, we went out to local eateries based on David's recommendations. Breakfast is leisurely, with a fixed menu that changes every day and is imaginative and tasty. They were happy to oblige our special dietary needs. The deep front porch is a great place to sit and chat with other guests or just read a book and enjoy the view of the mountains. Location is very good as a base for exploring the area and the Darughs provide plenty of tips and ideas to make the most of a visit. If you're looking for a quiet place to relax, be pampered a little (but without a fuss) and enjoy fabulous food, this is a great choice.

• Liked — Relaxing, comfortable, friendly and great food.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed November 20, 2008

We had a great time, it was my wife's birthday and a surprise. I had a lot of pressure on my shoulders (self given) to make it great. Well, all I can say is that David and the staff exceeded my expectations and my wife had a great time. David really knows his wine and food and was able to create a great pairing and evening. Rooms were very nice, very comfortable beds. Don't think twice about booking this B&B, just book it and enjoy your time

• Liked — everything..oh, the wine cellar
  • Disliked — na, everything was great
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Me and my wife were looking for a getaway weekend for our 10 year anniversary, and since I had visited Clayton in the late 80's, I thought it might be fun to visit again when the leaves were changing.

I have to say, this was one of the most pleasant B&B stays we have ever had. The husband and wife team that own the inn have incredible attention to detail, and have spent years perfecting the place. The room was absolutely immaculate, and they were incredibly gracious.

Both mornings we were treated to a very pleasant breakfast, including fresh fruit. The second morning we had pumpkin pancakes that were just perfect.

I do want to note one other special thing they did. They have a very extensive wine list you can purchase off of, and when I mentioned that I would like to get a bottle of sparkling wine for after dinner, they took care of icing it down, and having it set up in the room after we returned. Many places will certainly do that, but they recommended a very pleasant and inexpensive Spanish sparking Wine (Champagne style), $14 and didn't charge a penny more for the setup. I don't know if they do that for everyone, but it certainly made us feel special.

• Liked — Very clean, attention to detail.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
Reviewed October 10, 2008

We had a great two day stay at the Beechwood Inn. The room was great and the hosts were attentive. We enjoyed great wine and a wonderful dinner. With lots of hiking and waterfalls in the area, plus being close to Highlands, North Carolina, I will be going back in the future.

Stayed October 2008
North Atlanta
Reviewed October 7, 2008

My husband booked our stay at the Beechwood Inn as a surprise for me for our anniversary. He had read about the inn online and then had driven to Clayton from north Atlanta to check it out. We were both very pleased with our suite and with the attention to detail that the owners paid to every small element. The food was delicious (the Saturday night dinner was perfect and so was breakfast each day) and so was the wine. We will definitely be back!

• Liked — Beautiful scenery, wonderful food/wine, beautiful antiques/bed linens.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Jonesboro, Georgia
Reviewed September 14, 2008

My daughter and I stayed her when we went up to see my husband and son for Family Night at Camp Rainey Mountain (Boy Scouts). We had a quaint little room with a view of the secret garden out our window. My daughter just loved it. The owners are great people and very accomodating and gracious. My daughter loved their dog who was a diligent squirrel chaser and quiet porch companion. It was such a treat to be disconnected from the world for a while in the peace and quiet of the Georgia Mountains. The view from the porch of the mountains and gardens while relaxing with a drink and a snack in the company of the other guests was really nice. The sheets were the most awesome thing I have ever slept on and the breakfast was delicious! We had a wonderful time and plan to go back and take the boys when we go so that they can finally know what we keep raving about.

• Liked — great place to reconnect and enjoy the people in your life
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Gateway Inn & Suites
Gateway Inn & Suites
#1 of 3 in Dillard
Kingwood Country Club & Resort

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!