“Great secret in the mountains”
Review of Beechwood Inn

Beechwood Inn
Ranked #2 of 7 Clayton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Beechwood Inn in early Dec. 2012. Friends of ours got us a gift certificate here. We would never have known this place existed if it wasn't for them, and we just loved it! The sheets may have been the softest we have ever slept on...better than the Ritz Carlton. We had breakfast and then laid back down for one more good 30 min. to experience the sheets! And the dinner was just wonderful, as was the wine. We purchased some of the wine Dave recommended for the dinner and drank it on our anniversary this year. We were there the night of the SEC football championship game and had one of the rooms that had the t.v. The room was very accommodating. Thank you for the warm hospitality and being so detail oriented on the room, amenities, food, and wine. We could tell a lot of time and planning had gone into the Beechwood Inn experience. We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed here on the spur of the moment and got lucky with a cancellation. The hosts were in the middle of serving dinner and were quite busy but still took the time to get us settled and show us around. My main regret is that we did not arrive earlier and have more time for the wine tasting and enjoying the facility. This is definitely on the list of places we would like to come back to for a slower, more leisurely visit. The breakfast was great, definitely "select registry" quality - and if anything a bit too much! Would definitely recommend - but make sure you have time to enjoy it and see the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed again recently and Dave gave us the feeling we were inconveniencing him. They advertise wine time every afternoon. We arrived a bit after 6 PM to be greeted by Dave saying I was just about ready to leave you a note and go home for dinner. We had made it clear we would arrive around that time. No offer of a glass of wine and a unwelcome attitude was the atmosphere. I gave this inn a rave review before but Dave needs to be warm and welcoming and glad to see us. I would think he was glad to have a room sold that night. The bath towels should be larger and there should be more then two in the bathroom. When I wash my hair I need 2 towels, one for me and one to wrap my hair.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ersl46
DDarugh, Owner at Beechwood Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

I would like to humbly apologize for what transpired. My intent is to always be hospitable. I am sorry I did not offer a glass of wine when you arrived. We offer our signature wine-thirty from 5:30pm to 6:00pm daily, but we are happy to pour a glass of wine almost any time. We also have a wine license, so wine is always available for sale.

I looked at your reservation information and when you booked your reservation you told us that you expected to arrive at 4:00pm. I apologize if I appeared anxious to head home and prepare our dinner. You are also right, we were glad to rent a room that night as you were the only guests at Beechwood Inn that night. I definitely should have treated you better as your comments about my conduct are embarrassing to me.

Our towels are advertised as super absorbent as they are 70% organic eco-friendly bamboo and 30% cotton. We gladly supply more towels on request. I pointed out at check-in that we live on the property so if you needed anything my wife and I are available 24/7 to make your visit more comfortable.

I am truly sorry about my behavior and I am sorry it lead to your discomfort. This is our livelihood and we chose to be in this business because we love people and hope to make their visit to the inn a wonderful experience.

I know you live a long distance from Beechwood Inn but your travels may bring you through our way again. I can’t ship our wine but I am making a note that if you stay at the inn, or are just passing through, I will be happy to provide you a complimentary three pack of Beechwood Inn wine. I promise to be more accommodating next time you visit and will make sure you get more towels in your room.

David Darugh
Innkeeper

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have stayed at the Beechwood Inn nine times, in all seasons. We usually book for two nights and always include the Saturday night dinners. The quality of the food and wine at the dinners and the gourmet breakfast are just the best. We used to live an hour away, now we are 3 1/2 hours away, the miles will not keep us from returning. The decor is tastefully presented , comfortable and not over-done.. David & Gayle make everyone feel so welcome.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in September as a quick getaway from the kids. It was a short drive up from Atlanta but felt like a world away. We don't typically stay at B&B's...just not our favorite thing, but this was a great experience. We enjoyed some wonderful wine and fried green tomatoes on the front porch and could have sat there relaxing all night. Checked out a local winery tasting and also had dinner in town. Loved breakfast the next morning, we were stuffed! Then went to a nearby state park and headed home. We will definitely return and would love to go for one of their wine dinners.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have recommended the Beechwood Inn to many colleagues and friends but had never stayed myself. Had the opportunity to celebrate an anniversary and decided to stay at the Beechwood Inn. I was more than impressed with the facility, the accomodations, and the management/owners. Was only the 2nd time to ever stay in a B&B; I can now say that I have been best !! The dinner on Saturday night with wine was amazing; followed up by a first-rate breakfast in the morning.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We just spent another wonderful weekend at the Beechwood. This was our fourth visit and will definitely not be our last. The room was cozy. The guests attending the Saturday evening "winethirty" were a pleaseure to meet and the wine pairing dinner was out of this world. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clayton
Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Quality Inn & Suites Mt. Chalet
Americas Best Value Inn
Days Inn Clayton
Days Inn Clayton
#3 of 3 in Clayton
Kingwood Country Club & Resort
Mountain Aire Cottages & Inn

Been to Beechwood Inn? Share your experiences!