“Great Fly Fishing”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Great Fly Fishing”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went to Blackhawk in 2013 because I wanted to learn to fly fish. While the place is geared towards serious anglers, they welcomed me with no problem. You will need to bring nothing as they are prepared to outfit you completely. Within minutes you will be in one of the best trout streams in the country. Your guide will select the proper flies, tie it/them on your line for you, and discuss the proper casting method for your rigging. Within minutes, I caught my first trout. The guide talked me through landing the fish, netted my fish, and showed me the proper way to release the fish. By lunch time, I had caught a dozen 12"-15" rainbow trout. For lunch, we returned to the starting area where we enjoyed a great meal prepared by owner Abby Johnson. After lunch, we went to another area of the river with deeper water and bigger fish. I did very well. While the experience was great, I must admit that Blackhawk is expensive - you will pay a rod fee, buy a dozen flies if you don't have your own, and a guide fee. So, why would anyone pay almost $500 for a day of fishing? Maybe I nuts 'cause that's a lot of money to me but I thought it was worth every penny. You will learn so much more that you ever would from reading books or watching instructional DVDs. You will have an experience that you will never forget, meet some of the nicest people in the world, and you will catch big trout. Even if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip, I highly recommend Blackhawk.

Visited October 2013