“Wonderful new restaurant”
Review of Southbound

Southbound
Ranked #3 of 60 Restaurants in Chamblee
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Housed in a building from the last 1800s, Southbound offers diners creative southern comfort food in a casual atmosphere. Great for a quick burger, a romantic date night, or a large celebration, Southbound is an inviting neighborhood hang-out.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

What a delight this was for dinner! We had the crab cakes for an appetizer and what a great surprise! It was a cold crab cake with slices of lime and little jalapeños on the side. It was incredible on one of the hottest days we've had this year. The shrimp and grits had such great flavor and the side of vegetable fricasee made for a great combo that really made a wonderful pairing. There were good selections of wines and the service was always attentive but never overbearing. This place really raises the bar for Chamblee and the decor makes it a place that is so inviting! We were there for an early dinner on a Wednesday and I think I saw only one empty table when we left! We will definitely go back!

Reviewed June 28, 2014

This is the best thing going in the area but still has a way to go to compete with really good Atlanta restaurants. Tried to call for reservations but no answer. First off the space is very interesting in a rustic way. I like this look and feel. We had a 15 min wait at the bar which offers beer and wine only. All good there but look forward to a martini next trip when they get their liquor license.
We ordered a variety of apps, main courses and sides. Here is where the trouble began. The waiter was not paying attention and was very focused on yacking it up with tables around us. He poured off the remainder of the bottle of Champagne into my friends glasses and poured me a drop at the end with no thought of evening that out. I got screwed on that. We could not seem to get everything we needed to enjoy this wonderful food on the table at the same time. It took a half hour to get the wine and the apps where on the table the whole time as we waited for the wine. Finally we began picking at the apps which where awesome "smoked beet salad" , "Blue Crab salad" and breads. Oh yes one of our party still has no water so we are sharing. Then the entrees come and they are determined to take away the apps which we've only half finished because we're waiting for water and wine. And when I say they are determined I mean I said no don't take my $14 crab salad away three time as they kept grabbing it and then apologizing and putting it back. It was nerve racking as hell because we were under siege by three different people doing this. Then the wine comes and I'm feeling terrible because I did raise my voice and basically put my head in my hands as these servers bumbled about. It was silly as hell. Now you see I gave three out of five stars. This is because the owner, I'm told, saw him but did not meet him, stepped in and announced that the wine was comped and they brought another app comped. That in itself was a good thing but not really enough to make up for being stressed out like this over dinner. See the thing is when you look at a menue and make the decision to invest $50 plus dollars on your meal and your in the middle of all this Chaos as a result its really frustrating and it makes me really mad. I dont want to come down on the serving people as I know they are stressed as well with a large crowd. The big factor in the end is the food. Everything on the table was really great. My Grouper with smoked goodies and veggies, the crab salad, the side items of kale and a succotash all where really great. If they can serve this level of food consistently and manage to serve it properly this place will be a big hit. I wish them well.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is a new self-appointed gastro pub. We tried: Beef tartar, grilled grouper, braised beef short rib, and mustard greens. Overall, the food was sadly disappointing: The beef tartar was the best of the 4 dishes that we ordered. The seasoning for the chopped raw beef was very hesitant and overly light – not what is generally expected for beef tartar. The dish came initially with baked potato chips instead of toasted bread or pita – cute, but did not work at all. We asked for toasted bread instead. The grilled grouper was badly over-cooked and hardly seasoned. Dollops of green paste and blobs of white mush around the fish were not easily identifiable by taste or appearance. The braided beef short rib (recommended by our waiter) was huge, tender, but again so lightly seasoned that it tasted like hospital food. The saddest dish title belongs to the mustard greens – one would have expected a joint with their name (Southbound) and in GA, to know how to cook mustard greens – wrong: heavy on the vinegar and sugar, no taste of the greens, no detectable salted pork, and colored grey. To be fair, we tried them right after they first started their evening service. Their wine list was heavily skewed with French products and apparently from one single supplier. May be a good deal for the bookkeeper but not working so good for the customer. Hopefully, they will improve. Their ambience and décor are pleasant. Service although a bit hesitant, was nice and polite. We do hope they will do better soon. The restaurant business is tough in Chamblee, GA. After all, this place is not nicknamed “Chambodia” for looking cute.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Sitting at bar with mom, just to have a bev and burger on a Monday eve, already a meeting spot, we happened onto neighbor, inviting ambiance and decent beer list. I would prefer a few more affordable wines by the glass.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We found this restaurant in its first 2 weeks of opening during a "soft opening". It was only serving lunch at the time and didn't have a liquor license. Now, it is open for dinner and has a liquor license. I went with a group of 4 and we had 2 great appetizers - salmon tartar and green fried tomatoes, Both wonderful. Two of us had sandwiches - the pulled pork (with wonderfu fired okra) and the rib eye steak with chimichurri (the latter did overpower a bit) . The other 2 colleagues had a salmon cake with quinoa. Everyone thought their meal was great and were looking forward to dinner when the hours changed. There are very few good restaurants in Chamblee so it do should do well.