“Something for Everyone: Dinosaurs, Antique Cars, Geology and More!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tellus Science Museum

Tellus Science Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Tellus is a 120,000 square foot science museum located in Cartersville, just north of Atlanta. Tellus Science Museum is a Smithsonian Institute Affiliate Museum, which houses four major galleries - Weinman Mineral Gallery, Fossil Gallery, Science in Motion Gallery, and My Big Back Yard. In addition, the museum includes a fossil dig and gem panning hands-on experience, a planetarium, and an observatory.
Atlanta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Something for Everyone: Dinosaurs, Antique Cars, Geology and More!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My daughter went to the Tellus Museum as part of a class trip and was still talking about it months later. Last weekend we made the short, 1-hour trip up to Cartersville from Atlanta and found there was something for everyone.

The museum is divided into a few galleries, each with a theme. My wife loved the Weinman Mineral Gallery, a collection emphasizing Earth's natural history with literally hundreds of stone, meteorite, gems and minerals to see. My 10-year old daughter was in awe as we explored the Fossil Gallery, with dinosaurs, reptiles and giant mammals dating back millions of years. As for me, the Science in Motion gallery was my favorite. It includes antique cars, motorcycles, a replican of the Wright Bros plane, a Bell helicopter and more. There's also a hands-on area for kids called Collins Family My Big Backyard with lots of cool things relating to the science of light, sound and weather. We didn't do the Planetarium part but we did explore the solar house exhibit outside built by some Ga Tech students a few years ago.

All in all, a great way to spend 3-4 hours, and an easy day trip from Atlanta.

Visited January 2013

Marietta, Georgia, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Visit many times to see it all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

So happy to have this excellent museum close by. We take all out of town company there. Great for children and adults.

Visited August 2012
Atlanta, Ga
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great gem an hour from downtown Atl”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Had a lovely family outing here last weekend. My 8 and 5 yr olds were thoroughly engaged for the 2.5 hours of our visit, and could have easily stayed there another hour. Layout is simple and effective. Displays are well made and instructive, both for children and adults. Loved the minerals/gem area. Staff is friendly. Clean facilities. Transportation exhibit is well done so you can really see everything - have mirrors underneath so you can even see the engine. Most of the fossils they have are replicas, but they are entertaining and well classified.
Did not have a chance to see the Planetarium show, but 8 yr old watched it at school field trip before and said it was boring. Kids loved panning for gemstones and digging for fossil bones. Got there early at 10:30 and had the place almost to ourselves, there was a much bigger crowd when we left at 1. If you have a Bank of America card you can get in free the first weekend of each month through BofA's Museum on Us program. Ample parking and modern, well appointed facilities. Campus is beautifully landscaped, you feel different as soon as you drive in from I75. Cafeteria's prices are reasonable. Will definitely go back!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank AtlKate
Atlanta, Georgia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Surprised at how great it was”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

The museums exhibits were interesting. It's large, bright and cheerful. the gift shop was very good. The grounds are nice. We had a meeting there and the facilities were great.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank laniergoes
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“For a new science museum, some outdated stuff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We thought this new science museum would hold some interesting new treasures. I wasn't too impressed. There were several replicas of old cars or flying machines that were shiny and neat to look at. Some were the actual originals too. But no hands-on in this section of the museum: not allowed to touch anything or the guards would quickly "tssk" you off. There was a place for kids to have their picture taken in an astronaut suit. That was fun for the kids. And an interesting display about what kinds of space technology has made it into everyday life. There was a neat gem section and a section on fossils that was informative, but nothing new. The outdated stuff was essentially the most boring movie I've ever seen about "space food" that featured two people droning on in a sterile-looking industrial kitchen about how to make space food edible and free from contamination. Extremely boring, out of focus, and outdated technology on view here. I actually fell asleep. The planetarium was in a neat theater, but it too was out of focus and not quite the "show" I expected. The guy narrating it was nice enough and tried to get us excited about what we saw, and the movie (about space weather) was OK, but I wasn't very impressed with the technology. The back of the museum has a place where you can dig for fossils or pan for gems. That kept my kids entertained for a while. Don't go to their museum at a peak time, or you won't be able to spend more than 10 minutes in pretty much the only hands-on place in the museum. This museum was mostly a viewing museum. I guess they don't believe in hands-on learning. Price was a lot too. Six of us paid $75 and that was with 2 kids and 2 seniors. I could have learned more with some mud in my backyard, and a movie or book.

Visited December 2012