“Beautiful, Peaceful Park with Great Camping”

Red Top Mountain State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: This popular park on Lake Allatoona is ideal for swimming, water skiing and fishing. Visitors can bring their own boats or rent from nearby marinas. A sand swimming beach is nestled in a cove and surrounded by trees, providing a great place to cool off during summer. Picnic shelters and group shelters may be rented for meetings, parties, reunions and other celebrations. Guests often stay overnight in rental cottages, a spacious campground or the park’s lakeside yurt. While best known for the 12,000-acre lake, Red Top Mountain is also a hiker’s haven. More than 15 miles of trails wind through the forested park, providing opportunities for exercise and nature photography. A short, paved trail behind the park office is suitable for wheelchairs and strollers, welcoming guests to explore a reconstructed 1860s homestead. The gravel-topped 4-mile Iron Hill Trail is open to both hikers and bikers, offering pretty views of the lake’s shoreline.Named for the soil’s rich red color caused by high iron-ore content, Red Top Mountain was once an important mining area. Iron pour programs are occasionally held near the Vaughn Cabin behind the park office.
Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is a great park located less than an hour north of Atlanta with well-maintained, clean, and quiet trails and campsites. I tent-camped on waterfront campsites for a total of 6 nights over two weeks in July. The campground section of the park is gated with a combination lock. If camping, keep the gate code handy. I look forward to camping here again.

Lake Allatoona is beautiful and swimming was nice, with clean, clear water and no clay muck at the bottom like at Lake Thurmond/ Clarks Hill. Do note that there are rather populous small fish that will nibble on idle swimmers (not problematic but can be a bit startling initially), much more-so than in other lakes I've visited.

2  Thank Frugal_SC_Traveler
There are newer reviews for Red Top Mountain State Park

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

There is a lot to do. From camping, boating , hikkng and pickning to having meetings or church gatherings. There are many hiking trails with great views and lots of wildlife. Too many things to mention. Check their website for special events

1  Thank dale35
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Yesterday I hiked on the yellow blazed Homestead trail. This was my first visit to this park for hiking, and absolutely loved. The trail I am guessing is the most difficult of the several trails this state park as to offer, but the lake views are well worth it. I will be returning in a week or two to hike the other trails I did not do this visit. The trail was very well labeled and had no trouble following it. It is also nice and wide allowing room for joggers to pass by easily.

1  Thank ATL0609
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This past weekend my family & I went camping with the group "Keeping It Wild" at Red Top Mountain and we REALLY enjoyed ourselves! The campsites were nice and the views of the lake were gorgeous! We walked a couple of the trails as well! The only think I didn't like were the restrooms. We camped at site 52 and the restroom near there was disgusting. However, we did find that the restroom at the entrance of campsites were new and VERY clean, so use those!

All in all, our experience at Red Top was great, and we cant wait to go back!!!

3  Thank TheJetsetter00
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Loved it!! It has been at least 10 years since I've been there. We did the hike around the lake- about 2.5 miles. It took us about 1.5 hours. We saw deer.