“Trip to Cincinnati”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Calhoun
FORT MYERS
“Trip to Cincinnati”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This was our third stay at this same hotel and it has always been a wonderful stay.
I would highly recommend this motel to my friends and relatives . Easily accessible from the expressway coming and going

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

1 Thank FRANK F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We only needed the room for one night, as we were traveling to my sister’s in Florida for a visit. We checked in late (around 11:00 PM) on a Saturday night and were told there were no non-smoking rooms available. Even though I had called several hours earlier and told them we would be checking in late and needed non-smoking. Then the front desk clerk asked if we minded the back are of the hotel. Since we had two small children, we really needed non-smoking.. I didn’t understand why the back of the hotel would be a problem, so we answered it was fine, as long as it was non-smoking.

OMG, the room was clean in at first glance, but smelled moldy. I cut my hand trying to close the door… it looked as if the door had been kicked-in and the lock replaced SEVERAL times. The box mattresses had large brown stains that were visible, since there wasn’t a bed skirt. The towels (2 very thin towels) were stained and you could tell that there was mold on the bathroom ceiling that had been painted over (rather than cleaned), as it was showing through the white paint. Most Day’s Inn have shampoo, conditioner and lotion on the sink counter… this place had only shampoo.

We checked for bed bugs and didn’t find any; however, there was filth along the outer seams of the mattresses… sort-of resembled dead. flacked-off skin. The mattresses were lumpy and very old. Luckily we had blankets and pillows in the trunk; we threw all our bedding on top of the motel’s bedding, and tossed the pillows on the floor. Had we not had our own bedding, we would have been forced to find another motel or sleep in the car… it was that bad.

This wasn’t the worse of it… each time I ventured outside to get something from the car, I noticed vehicles coming around the back of the motel and young women walking up the to the driver’s side windows and talking to the men in the vehicles, they would then get into the vehicle and drive off. This happened three times that I saw. I don’t know if they were guests or what, but it sure looked suspicious.

The next morning I dropped the keys off at the front desk and noticed the “free breakfast”. There was a Bunn coffee maker with a badly stained coffee pot, a dozen glazed donuts from Kroger with a $2.99 price tag on them, and a few other items. No fruit, no Danish… just generic items purchased from Kroger and two bins of cereal.

I have stayed at many a Days Inn and always found them to be clean, friendly and economical. This place resembled a crack house more than a Days Inn and I can’t believe the chain lends their name to this mess.

Room Tip: There is a Motel 6 in the area, with an IHOP attached. Try this instead, it appeared clean and was...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Calhoun hotels

Asheville, NC
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The man who checked us in was snarky with some slightly pushy guests ahead of us which set the mood for a below average experience at this hotel. I stay at Days Inns frequently, including 4 times this month alone and this one was far worse than others. There are too many rooms for the facilities, the location is difficult to access and too close to the 4 lane. The a/c was not able to cool the room adequately. On the plus side, the room was clean and the bathroom was adequate for the purpose. The breakfast was standard for days inn, by which I mean just fine with me. Also the lady who checked us it was pleasant and cheerful. On the whole, I'd choose another hotel if I could but this one would do in a pinch.

Room Tip: Honestly, I'd suggest choosing a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vikram P, Owner at Econo Lodge Calhoun, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing Days Inn Calhoun. We always welcome comments for our guests. Our Days Inn is located next to I-75 and does have great accessiblity. This summer has been extremely hot in Georgia, we have upgraded over half of our air conditioner units so far this year. We appreciate your comments regarding our staff and strive to always give excellent service.
Mt. Dora, FL
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Well, you get what you deserve when you don't make a reservation for a Friday night.

After getting shut-out at two other places (perhaps fortunately - both were hosting Biker Sons of the Confederacy late on a Friday, this Days Inn was on the first exit we came upon after getting back on the Interstate. Location is great for a stopover but not much else. Nothing attractive about the area. Staff was Southern-cordial and got us a "good rate" and the promised "quiet-est" room (although the public housing project next door gave us just a bit of a turn as did the impromptu outdoor lounge set up next to the stairs with room chairs, towels, drinks and ashtrays). Room was adequate/minus. More than a little spiffing up is called for when parts of the carpeting and trim are falling apart! But the bathroom was serviceable and clean as were the beds - no signs of infestations. Usual breakfast bar is included - wholesome and a good value when included in the cost of the room (which was by all accounts about $20 too high)! All in all, I can't recommend it to the point of making reservations but it served out purpose and we got out alive!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Vikram P, Owner at Econo Lodge Calhoun, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for choosing Days Inn for your travel. Our Days Inn Calhoun is located in a business area off of I-75 around restaurant and shopping. Th comments regarding residental housing seem to apply to another location. Thank you staying with Days Inn.
Reviewed June 20, 2012 via mobile

Horrible smell and dirty. Smelled like urine and whip cream, disgusting! Needed to get sleep after driving all day from Miami so we stayed. The worst part was the beds, all the people in one bed were itching all night, and had bites on them the next day! Everybody slept with their clothes on because this place was so nasty. Oh and the breakfast... Coffee and frozen doughnuts. Do not stay here, sleep in your car instead!

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I needed a room for just one night which would accept pets and the friendly lady at the front desk beat the price on Expedia and only charged me $5 for my Yorkie. The check in was easy, king room was nice with frige and microwave and bed was comfy. Stayed on ground floor around back which made walking Artie easy. I was worried by the bad reviews but took the chance- not luxury but a great one night bargain stay. :)

• Stayed November 2011
Woodbine, Georgia
Reviewed January 2, 2011

We booked this hotel for one night while traveling to another destination. After reading the reviews, we decided that the negatives listed by others wouldn't be a problem for a weeknight in late fall. We experienced an entirely different type of problem!

We had reservations and arrived at 3:30 in the afternoon. Check-in was easy and we were given a key to our room. We walked into our room and found it freezing cold. We turned the heat on full and left for ninety minutes. When we returned our room was still cold so we went to dinner to kill another hour plus. The room was still cold when we returned. We went to the office and asked if we could have a warm room and were told that all the rooms were cold and that the heaters weren't strong enough to handle the December temperatures. We asked for extra blankets and were told that our blankets were on our bed and we couldn't have anymore. Sometime around 3:00 am the room warmed enough and we were able to turn the heat off full blast.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple