“Overwhelming moldy smell”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calhoun
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Calhoun
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

We are frequent HIE patrons. This is the worst experience I have had at this chain (and perhaps at any chain). We checked in late tonight while on a road trip. We were greeted by a humid, moldy smelling room. Even my children commented on the strong odor in room 129. The hotel appears dated and my husband felt it unlikely that we would have much luck finding a better experience in a different room. We decided to tough it out for our brief stay. The room is so humid that the sheets feel wet and it is making for a very clammy, uncomfortable night. The restroom is not clean in appearance. The shower is dingy and several back hairs and other grime are present in the shower. I will be glad when morning comes and we can hit the road again. I am finding it difficult to sleep here. I think I will wait and shower at our destination HIE.

• Stayed: July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calhoun, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear CubH8tr,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Calhoun.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 17, 2012

I chose to stay at this hotel due to the location. While the front desk staff was welcoming, the room certainly was anything but... Housekeeping misses as much as they hit while cleaning. Everything was dusty and the carpet looked like they only vacuum the traffic areas - there was excess dust, dirt and debris around all of the edges from the minute you walk through the door. Since the room was not very clean, I decided to skip breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 21, 2012

Dear kayeteekaye,

Thank you for your stay and leaving us feedback. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel as well as our friendly front desk staff. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the cleanliness of your room accommodations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed April 7, 2012

Drove 18hr today so we were very tired when we checked in. The room was very clean and nice. The bed very cozy and comfy. We would stay again if we are ever in the area again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kasondra H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calhoun, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m so glad that you stayed here with us at the Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, GA. If there’s anything you would like to add please feel free to contact us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Normally stay at the Hampton Inn but it was full and since the Holiday Inn Express in Marietta, GA was fine, we decided to take a chance. Bad mistake! The room was dirty with bits of food and dust bunnies on the carpet, "mystery" stains on the blanket (that went unused of course) and had to wait for 20 minutes to get anything decent to eat at breakfast. (To be fair, the one lady trying to feed everyone was overworked). Have learned my lesson. The next time we'll jump back into the car and keep driving.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RayH155012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calhoun, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

RayH155012,

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 1, 2012

I stayed for my first time at this hotel yesterday after checking with other hotels in the area that were more in line with my budget but being sold out. So I went here and luckily they had two rooms left and I was treated very well and they even gave me my AAA discount which was a pleasant surprise even with only two rooms left. Then to top it all off because I was a Priority memeber they gave me a free upgrade which just made it all the better. I was pleased with everything about the room, the breakfast, and the staff. The only negative which is very small is the layout of where the elevator is and the parking from the entry doors can is farther than most unless you are a lucky one and get a close spot, but I'm just glad they have an elevator, right! There are plenty of good places to eat around the area and there is Factory Outlet malls close by too where you can do a little bargain shopping. Hope this helps! I will be staying here again and recommend it to anyone. My advice to a smelly room as one review said is to ask for another room (assuming they have one available of course). Anytime I've ever had a smell issue at a Holiday Inn Express and called the front desk they immediately put me in another room.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 7, 2012

On our recent trip to Florida we've stayed at several Holiday Inn Expresses and were generally pleased until we've visited this one. First of all the room smelled of curry! Don't get me wrong I like Indian food but the heavy smell was just bit too much for us to handle. The bathroom was not adequately cleaned when we came and the water didn't drain from the bathtub during shower. Worst of all we were all bitten by something and were so terrified of bed bugs that we washed everything that we brought in twice when we came home. My advice - stay away from this place.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Canadacanadian8

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I’m so glad that you stayed here with us at the Holiday Inn Express Calhoun, GA. We have made a lot of upgrades to this hotel. We hope that you are able to give us another chance and stay with us again. If there’s anything you would like to add please feel free to contact us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We have stayed at several Holiday Inn Expresses and we are always pleased with the rooms and especially the hot breakfast. This was a typical stay so we are pleased. They always accommodate my large family with a room with 2 queens, pullout, and free crib. Wireless internet was good too. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calhoun
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Calhoun
La Quinta Inn Calhoun
La Quinta Inn Calhoun
#3 of 17 in Calhoun
Hampton Inn and Suites Adairsville/Calhoun Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calhoun? Share your experiences!