“Staff that goes the second mile”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byron
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Byron
Clarksville, Tennessee
“Staff that goes the second mile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We weren't real sure how the stay was going to be. Upon arrival there were pot holes leading up to the property. The flags were a little faded on the flagpole. The lobby floor was sticky. There was a line at check in. We waited but not too long. The lady checking us in was overly friendly. She talked to everybody there like she knew them personally. We went up to our room and found it to be fairly clean. With a little note on the bed which introduced us to our housekeeper. I thought that was a nice touch. We had a good nights rest. Woke up early to get a head start on our travels. We stopped in the breakfast area to get some coffee to go because it was so early. To our surprise breakfast was already prepared at 6am! We were still in a rush to get out the door but the little girl offered us a to go bag so we could still take things with us. Unfortunately there weren't any newspapers. The front desk clerk said it was because it was the weekend. Over all though we were pleasantly surprised at how friendly everybody was here at this little hotel.

Room Tip: Don't get one close to the stairwell you can hear people talking and the door slamming!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Davie, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I/we have stayed at many holiday inns we r both priority club members, this one was very nice the people couldn't have been nicer, but the breakfast was absolutely the best of all out of all the ones we have stayed at! tk U very much, we stayed in Urbana, Illinois, the Buffet breakfast was terrible, service was the worse an we paid $10.95 each plus that amount for little children. didn't mind paying the $11.00 had the help been better!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

This Holiday Inn was a good value this time. Rates were lower than we expected. I often check multiple hotels along our route while traveling. This was a pleasant surprise. The room was clean and nicely furnished with a microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot. We traveled with family who opted to spend the evening drinking a glass of wine in the sitting area - love seat, coffee table and 2 chairs with a table between them. It was comfortable. Breakfast was quite disappointing, however. The "eggs" were more like a pancake with velveeta cheese in the center before folding in half. Dried out, cold and not appetizing. Overall, not bad but could use a little improvement.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sonia M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byron, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay with us. We appreciate that you found our hotel clean, comfortable and value added however also apologize that we did not meet your expectations with breakfast. I have taken note of your comment and we will address this point to improve upon our breakfast. Thank you for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Byron and we hope to welcome you again.
Camdenton, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Excellent facility, our 4th floor king room was large and clean, comfortable couch, bed and pillows - large clean bathroom. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was satisfactory and filling, selection was ordinary, but it should suffice.

Room Tip: No road noise on 4th floor away from highway.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

Hotel itself: The hotel looked decent and was well maintained from the exterior. I checked in around 12:00 AM. Once you enter you can tell the property was about 8 to 10 years old. It had a very bad smell when you walked in, that "old funky hotel" smell. The lobby needed updating when compared to some other Holiday Inn Express properties I've stayed at. Also there was no recognition for Platinum Priority Club guest.

Pool: Pool was outdoors and since it was late I didn't check it out.

Rooms: The room was good (very important to me), nothing to brag about but decent. I always check for bed bugs and the room I had didn't have any. Bathroom was clean and free of reminiscence of previous guest. The sheets looked cleaned, but didn't feel clean. I requested a fresh set and bad it myself. Room was vacuumed in the main areas, but the edges of the room had dust and behind the nightstand there was garbage. The carpet had a tactile feel to it, seemed like they used too much cleaner when they cleaned it. I wore my sandals around the room. I slept well after changing my sheets.

Free Internet: It worked, but they throttle your connection. Push too much data and you get slow internet. I got my email checked, but I couldn't download some work files. I resorted to my data card.

Staff: The staff could brush up on training. I woke up to a horrible smell of paint fumes (6:15 AM next morning). I opened the door to find door paint, right front and center of my door. There wasn't any staff around. Why would you be painting at 6:00 AM. The hallways wrecked of paint fumes (see my pics). The lady who worked 3rd shift never recognized my platinum status. Next morning I walked next to my car to find 8 large bags of trash next to it. The dumpster was another 15 feet away. Most of the garbage bags were leaking and was just disgusting. By this time I was disgruntled about the paint fumes and trash next to my car, and the front desk girl was chatting with the breakfast attendant. The breakfast attendant checked me out (cross trained staff efficient) which I thought ok - breakfast must be slow. See the breakfast portion.

Breakfast: SKIP IT. Pancake machine worked and was good. Everything else looked inedible. Almost everything was empty or dried out (overcooked in the microwave) - see my pictures. Bread was stale and bagels were rock hard. By the way I went down to eat breakfast around 6:45 am and not a single guest was eating. The breakfast attendant who checked me out, should've been taking care of this horrible breakfast. The garbage can was overflowing and tables weren't clean. I had my coffee and two pancakes and took off. Not up to par with the other Holiday Inn Express properties I've stayed at. If they improved on the basics everything would've been fine.

The bottom line is this hotel is ok for a price under $100. I paid $149 because they claimed it was their "last room". It was late and Priority Club reservation line couldn't make reservations for arrival time I needed because of system limitations and not availability. The staff short comings really hurt in the overall ratings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Samswildworld
Sonia M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byron, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your experience with us. I am truly sorry for the issues you had with your room and the hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience it had caused you and that we fell short of your expectations. We strive to accommodate all our guests and their needs and appreciate your feedback and thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was my first time at the Holiday Inn Express in Byron. I was greeted warmly. The facility is very clean and comfortable. The front desk staff called once I made it to the room to make sure everything was great. The staff was very attentive to breakfast, making sure the serving and eating areas were very clean, restocking quickly, and the food was all very fresh and appealing. Customer service was just as great when I was checking out. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife, our foster baby daughter, and myself stayed the night of October 11, 2013, while on our way to Florida. This is an impressive HI Express. The room was super clean and service by the staff was excellent. As priority club members, we were given welcome packages which included candy and popcorn. This was actually the first time we remember any HI doing this for us. One of the ladies at the front desk was on her second day, but check in was still smooth. Shortly after arrival, they brought a crib for the baby.

Our door was in sight of the front desk. We had gone out for dinner and when we came back from dinner, we had our hands full with our baby and her bags. My wife could not get in our door as we had apparenlty demagnatized the card AGAIN. The manager must have seen us struggle because she ran over with the master card and let us in our room. That was really nice of her.

The beds were nice. We did not eat breakfast, but it looked liked the standarded HI Express breakfast. The only concern some people may have is they do not really have a business center. The business center is a computer that is sitting next to the front desk so there really is not any privacy. We had some noise early in the evening from people checking in with kids, but things were quiet by 11. I may not want that particuar room again. 113 I think.

The area has several fast food restaurants and a Denny's across the street. We ate at a Seafood restaurant down the street that was good.

Would we stop at this HI Express again? Most certainly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Byron
Comfort Suites Byron
La Quinta Inn & Suites Warner Robins - Robins AFB
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 10 in Byron

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Byron? Share your experiences!