“Good for an overnight stay”
Review of Legacy Lodge

Legacy Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Buford
Reviewed September 23, 2010

The Lodge is very nice and all rooms have a balcony. The views from the balcony are of the trees though and you can't see the lake. The breakfast buffet is great. The waterpark was nice, but it closed at 6 p.m., which seemed early considering it was Labor Day weekend and the last weekend the beach would be open. Overall, a nice stay for an overnight trip. I don't know that there is really enough to do for several days.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2010

In celebrating our son's eight birthday with the family, we were looking for a nice weekend getaway without driving too far, at a place with lots of amenities for our four kids, proximity to good restaurants, and activities for the entire family. Lake Lanier Islands was the perfect place, especially since it was only thirty minutes from our home. We haven't been there in over five years, but since then, the Williams Family has taken over and renovated all aspects of the resort. There is now beautiful stonework everywhere...at the gate when first arriving, a new suspension bridge, paved roads and 10 foot wide walkways for golf carts you can rent, and round-a-bouts with nice stone, landscaping, and aged copper statues. What was then the old and dilapidated Emerald Pointe Hotel is now The Legacy Lodge, with new conference rooms, renovated hotel rooms, comfortable timber and stone lobby, two updated restuarants, and a lakeside pool.

Lake Lanier Islands has golf, a fairly large Water Park, restaurants and lounges, all surrounded by Lake Lanier. We found the Family Fun Package from www.lakelanierislands.com that included a one night stay at the Lodge, breakfast for up to five at the Windows Restaurant, and two days admission into the Water Park... all for $235! Just tickets for two days at the Water Park alone is $230, so we were getting a mini-vacation for practically nothing.

After passing the main gate ($8 a day charge) into Lake Lanier Islands, we went straight into the Water Park, where they have our name on their list for admission. The water park was a lot of fun for kids of all ages (ours range from 2 to 12), and they have added a few more food stands. The food wasn't as expensive as another reviewer made it out to be. You can get unlimited fountain drinks for $10, which was great on a 97 degree afternoon. They also added Sunset Cove, which was next to the Water Park, where there was live music and a neat restaurant. Boats were docked there and others just hung out there to party. Its the new "Cocktail Cove", where people were blasting their music and swimming in the lake.

After leaving the water park at 7pm, we checked in at The Legacy Lodge, where they had our room and an Activities schedule for the kids waiting. The room was nice, not great, but had new bedding, clean bathroom with granite counters and lots of soaps and even bathrobes. The Windows restaurant had a Fajita Buffet, with kids under 7 are free, and it was actually pretty good. There was a dive-in movie at the pool with free popcorn and Italian Ice for $3. The next morning, we went to the Windows restaurant again for the breakfast buffet, and it was great. They had an omelet station, waffle station with all the trimmings, lots of fresh fruit, bacon, eggs, all juices, etc. and great service to match. Afterwards, we went to the Water Park again and had another great day.

Before staying at the Legacy Lodge, I was somewhat cautious with the bad reviews here on tripadvisor. But after staying there, I can honestly say that their packages offers great value. Yes, they do charge a $13 a night resort fee that goes includes Wi-Fi, pool towels, activities for the family, and the daily newspaper, but its written out in the reservation. We will probably stay in the Villas next time, since they look newer, and have great views of the lake. The lakehouses do look old, but are big and all have hot tubs on the balcony.The staff at the Legacy Lodge was very nice and accommodating, even sending out a couple of faxes for us. The parking lot was always full, with wedding receptions, corporate meetings, and even high school reunions, so the Williams family has been doing a great job in turning this resort around.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2010

It's a nice place but the price they quote you MUST be in writing!!! We were lucky ours was in email, but once we arrived they tacked on several charges that we were not made aware of when booking. It seems they want to lure in business with low prices and package deals then make up for their "deal" price once their prey is snared. We were disappointed - we expected better.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank epiphany6
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I'll start off saying that the first complaint I had was addressed and fix without any question. This being that the Luxury Villa I reserved was not Luxury. The Luxury Villas are just two each level
-1 bedroom per reservation with 2 dbl beds on two-three storys with a very small common entryway for everyone who shares this villa. This trip was a mother daughter girl trip so needless to say i was not comfortable with this setup. In my mind villa repersents large space. We were on the bottom floor & actually assumed that the other bedroom was part of our accomadations. After a short walk to the lake we came back to a couple in what we thought was part of our space. Our reservations were for 2 adults & 3 children, so why wouldnt we think that is part of our space??? & the door that seperates the two rooms were already open that just makes you feel it's part of your space. Nope- you're looking & walking into someone else room. So when i requested for just a room at the Lodge they accomodated us with a room there. My family stayed there about six years ago and was very impressed. It needs regular maintaince, rooms & bedding not that clean, the hall we stayed on smelled horrible(sewage) as soon as you turned the corner(everyday). very dissapointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2010

This hotel is very nice and relaxing. I went horse-back riding and sat at the lake most of the time. There is nothing to do there at all, unless you enjoy boats, golf, fishing, or horses. The water park was closed, but opens in mid-spring. ATL is about 45 minutes away. If you plan on going with others who party all night, dont bring them. If you plan on going with others who like to sit back and relax, and do nothing, bring them. We stayed in the hotel part of the resort, which is nice, but next time, I will stay in a lake house or villa. The food was ok, but overall, I enjoyed relaxing the most.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I decided to look around for something close to Altanta, yet far enough to feel like a get-away. Lake Lanier was in my price range and the Valentine's package was absolutely wonderful. It was a little cold outside so we decided to stay in the hotel (closer to the restaurant) and it was so cozy. I can say that the rooms could use a little loving care...but the beds were so conmfortable and the bathroom was beautiful. I was looking for the lodge/cabin type of get-away and it was very close to what I was hoping for. I think the service is where I was blown away! The staff was extremely nice including the front desk, wait staff, hostesses and valet. I can't think of one person who didn't greet us or ask if we needed anything the whole weekend. I think what made it such a great trip was the Valentine's package. We received a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room as we were settling in. We also had a 5 course meal that was absolutely amazing...along with dancing. The breakfast buffet was midiocre, but after the superb dinner..I didn't care. We even requested a late check out and got it with no hassle. There was beautiful scenery everywhere and we are even talking about going back and staying in a Villa this time. I truly had a romantic and lovely evening!!! Thank you!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2009

I was quoted 149. a night, then connected to front desk. I asked if they would be able to have the sunday morning buffet, they said not for 149, but they could for 159. a night. I said that 159. per night would be fine, just charge my credit card. On Sunday morning they were told they were not eligible for the buffet, so they left the island to a restaurant in Buford and paid for their breakfast. My credit card bill just arrived and I was charged 181. + per night. This is a lasting lifetime memory ruined for them. I would not recommend this resort.
Even though they arrived straight from the reception and she was still in her wedding gown no special attention was paid to them and no complimentary anything was done for them.
Very big disappointment!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buford
Courtyard by Marriott Atlanta Buford Mall of Georgia
Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville
#1 of 12 in Gainesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Braselton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Buford at Mall of Georgia

Been to Legacy Lodge? Share your experiences!