“Beautiful Setting. Nicely revamped rooms. Way underrated.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Legacy Lodge & Conference Center

Legacy Lodge & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Buford
Rolling Hills Estates, California
“Beautiful Setting. Nicely revamped rooms. Way underrated.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2009

I stayed here recently as part of a group meeting. I have been coming to this property since it opened back in the late '80s. It has operated under several names including Hilton Lake Lanier Islands Resort and Emerald Pointe Resort & Conference Center. When it was the Hilton, it was fairly new, but by the time it became the Emerald Pointe, it had become a little tired. Enter Virgil Williams and family who purchased the lease on a large portion of the property surrounding Lake Lanier from the Army Corp of Engineers a few years ago---including this property. Williams changed the name again to Legacy Lodge & Conference Center and set about remodeling almost every aspect of the resort from the roads leading in, to the golf course to the restaurants and the rooms. For those interested, please see this story that ran last year in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Enough background. Now on to my review.

This property has always struck me as odd. It's only accessable by entering through a guard gate and is less than an hour (depending on traffic) from Atlanta. However, it never seems very busy. I know development has been controlled and plenty has been written about the water level struggles of Lake Lanier, but this property seems a bit lost on people from Atlanta.

The entrance and lobby area has seen some nice changes. The valet parking guys are welcoming and quite helpful--though it's nice that they kept the self parking. The front desk staff made check in quick. The new rooms are great. Where the old bathrooms were beginning to look like old Hilton bathrooms---the new bathrooms are stylish and clean, yet functional. One area that could use a bump up still is the bedding. Ok, so they've added double sheets to hold the blanket, but it's still seems lacking for a property that strives to be top level. The coffee maker and CD player clock radio seem like holdovers from the last redo, but functional. The carpet and wallpaper are pleasing to look at. Most top resorts offer designer shampoo products and this hotel should consider this as well, instead of the generic products they offer.

One of the highlights of the property is the meeting space. The break snacks are nice and meeting rooms themselves are in great shape.

The all-new Bullfrogs Bar and Grille is terrific, especially the staff. The lunch sandwiches are huge and rather tasty. However, the Windows Restaurant (the nicer of the two) is still lacking in the staffing area, though the food is good. In fact, this seems to be my only real complaint about the property. While they've redone much of the public areas and rooms, the same staff remains. It's sad to say (espeically with unemployment as high as it is) some of the staff are just not right for a hotel with luxury intentions.

I did not have time to enjoy any of the play activities---golf, spa, pool, beach, water park, bikes, etc. but they all look top notch. One word or warning---the spa and workout building is out on the main road leading into the hotel and not really within walking distance. To help with this, the hotel has converted a couple of regular sleeping rooms and installed treadmills and stair machines.

If you're planning an off-site meeting or a weekend away from Atlanta---I would seriously consider this property.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Duluth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at THE VILLAS,but during my stay I had a few complaints that where not taken care of during my stay.The rooms are great they where very clean and very easy to relax in.My complaints are,for the four days and three nights that i was there, we had to wait up most of the nights to get some hot water, the phone did'nt work in my room and the refrigerator did'nt work.Other than my complaints i enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone i loved my stayed and look forward to returning.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Cumming, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2008

Previously stayed at property when it was owned by Marriott and rather run down.

The lodge and rooms have been completely renovated with upscale tiled showers and bathrooms. The decor is just what you'd expect at a lodge. Rooms are a little small but decorated very tastefully.

We did not have any hot water the evening of our stay so we were unable to shower. We contacted the front desk and they did not help with the matter.

We did the Magical Nights of Lights package and drove for an hour through beautiful Christmas lights and a nice live nativity scene. We then spent another 2 hours at the carnival with our 7 year old who enjoyed the rides and seeing Santa. We paid extra to roast marshamallows at the fire pit for $3 each.

The next morning, we were suppose to have breakfast with Santa but the lodge was clearly unprepared to handle the masses of people who had paid for the same package. After about an hour of waiting and seeing others as frustrated as we were, we checked out and went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast.

Lake Lanier has a lot to learn about hospitality. This is unfortunate since we really liked the area and the lodge is stunning. I'd recommend Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain Georgia as the lights are just as nice and they have great customer service.

• Liked — Christmas lights and carnival.
  • Disliked — Poor customer service issues- did not receive what I paid for.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
gainesville, Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

I FELT THE NEED TO WRITE A REVIEW AFTER STAYING HERE! We were so impressed with everything! We stayed at the Lodge for one night so we could relax so we ordered room service. The food was absolutely delicious!! My aunt ordered the steak and I had the mango grilled chicken and both were fantastic!!! The rooms were very nice and the service from the staff was exceptional. I don't understand the bad reviews because all I can say is....WE WILL BE BACK!!!!!!

• Liked — the food was delicious-nice rooms/beds
  • Disliked — very happy about everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
rhode island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2008

I was here for a conference, and brought my daughter with me, because it was a long weekend, on a lake, and the website had stated that there was a heated pool.

We checked into our room, and found it to be very small. It was pleasently decorated and seemed clean. The nicest feature was a sliding glass door and a small sitting area outside.

My daughter was looking forward to swimming in the "heated pool" it looked big and pretty from the lobby windows, but when we got out there, it was freezing, probably about 50 degrees, leaves on the bottom. The adjoining hottub was lukewarm, and the bottom of it was quite dirty (sand and leaves) When I asked about the pool, I got different answers from every person I talked to. One said it was heated, and she didn't believe me! One told me that it was not being heated because there weren't enough guests in the hotel (I was there with a conference, at least 100 people... and there was also another large group there too) someone else told me that it always used to be heated, but this year management decided not to.

The main restaurant was closed,the first night, and the second night, had a buffet of dry, withered looking foods, nothing fresh... the smaller "bullfrog's" was open, but food there was definitely unimpressive. Mainly fried foods, fat laiden entrees, (ex: crab cakes supposedly served with a roumalde, were served on a pile of mayonaise with a few flecks of green material in it) salads made with meats and sugars... and quite pricey for such mediocre quality.

I tried to use the phone in the room to arrange a wake up call,. but the buttons didn't work right, and it was filthy. ( I asked for it to be cleaned, but it never was) At 11pm someone was vacuuming the hallway. The door had a big gap under it and allowed us to hear anyone walking by as if they were in the room.

Driving around the resort area, there were no road signs, and no signs that indicated what different buildings were. I had an appointment for a massage, and when I went, the building with the spa in it was completely unmarked.

Overall, I was disappointed. It seems like they really want this place to be nice, but they are missing the boat, when they cut costs by turning off the pool heat, closing the restaurant and having no signs.... I have no desire to ever return, nor recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — it was in a very quiet woodsy setting
  • Disliked — the heated pool was not
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

We got the Family Fun Pack, which included water park tickets. The water park was very good; fun and clean and the beach was a nice touch. There are lots of water play areas and the kids (ages 3 and 5) loved it. The lake was a little gross, but we didn't expect much else given how low the water level is right now.

We went directly to the water park first to let the kids tire themselves out, then to the hotel to check in and take a nap. The hotel staff were great, and the room was nicely furnished and clean. The best part was the pool and poolside service. The wife and I relaxed in the sun with beers while the kids played in the pool with other kids. And the food from the poolside bar was so good for dinner we came back for lunch the next day after checking out. Vegetarian options are typically scarce on bar menus (and this was no exception), but the wife couldn't get enough of the grilled veggie wrap (get some chipotle cheese sauce on the side please).

Overall a great weekend with the kids. A little pricey, but when all the construction is complete I think it will be well worth the price as a great short trip destination for Atlantans.

• Liked — Pool and poolside food and drinks.
  • Disliked — Lake level was very low.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

The hotel is gorgeous. The custom soaps and branch drawer pulls are a nice touch. I also liked having my own patio. But what our visit memorable is the staff, for good and not so good reasons. The doormen and front desk staff were excellent. We arrived at 10 am and they checked us in right away! Breakfast at the Windows Restaurant was amazing. The food was yummy and the staff was on point. My husband loved the shuttle that carried us back and forth to the waterpark. My children liked the neat pillows on the beds. Lunch at the poolside grille was not so impressive. Even after 3 visits to the kitchen, it took over 30 minutes to get a server to take our order for drinks. The pizza was gross, the fruit had been frozen, and ... you get the drift. The concierge left a lot to be desired. She had a fantastic map of the hotel that included the highways, but she refused to give me one, or a copy. She kept trying to give me a map of the property. Would I go again? Not for a while. They need time to work out some kinks.

• Liked — Ability to leave the car parked and not drive it again until the vacation was over.
  • Disliked — poolside staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family