“Beautiful place, very poorly managed”
Review of Legacy Lodge

Legacy Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Buford
Reviewed December 14, 2013

It is a shame that this is so poorly run, because it is a very beautiful property. However, we went through so much aggravation, I will never go again and my husband's group has decided not to hold their conference there. I have done a lot of reviews and I am overwhelmingly positive on them, but this was just a bad experience with staff all the way around. I will also add that I made a point of being courteous and polite when I addressed each of these issues. Here is the sequence of events:
We were with a group and were told by the group we should not have to pay the resort fee. Upon check in, the agent said a resort fee would be added, so we told her our group was not supposed to have to pay that. She checked and said we were correct and gave us our room key. Our event was to be at another building about ten minutes away and the information book in room said complimentary transportation to all resort locations was included and showed a number to call; when I called the number, she said no it was not available unless our group set it up. Then she checked and said no, our group had not set it up. Then someone called later and said transportation would be provided.

After the event, it was almost midnight and we were concerned about another member of our group driving home, so we needed to add an additional room. The front desk woman said they did have a room available but that we could not have it at our group rate. We said we still wanted the room and it took her at least 20 minutes with one error after another (saying our card was refused, then saying no it was working, etc) until she finally had it set up.

The next morning, we were going to check out from our room and noticed that the resort fee was back on our room, so I called the front desk to see why it was added back on. The phone rang and rang and rang until someone finally answered and said if we came down that they would remove the charge and that there was no line. If there was no line, why did it take so long to answer the phone?? So, we go to the front desk and she said she would remove the charge. We asked her that if the additional room was available last night, why weren't we able to get our group rate. So she called the manager over and they said they would get all of that corrected and then said they were printing our corrected bills out. We just wanted to get out of there, so when they handed us the "corrected" bill, I just looked to be sure they were the same rate for both rooms and stuck it in my purse and we left.

When I got home I went to file them and saw that the resort charges were STILL on both bills. I called the lodge and asked to speak to a manager and she transferred me to human resources! So I called back and when the same girl answered, I told her I needed to speak to a manager but I had been transferred to human resources. She sounded exasperated and asked "well what kind of manager do you want?" I said I wanted to speak to the manager of the lodge about incorrect charges on our room. She transferred me again and I asked the lady who answered if she was the manager, she was not, so she put me on hold and the manager finally came on.

I went over all of it and she said she didn't know if they could remove the resort fee but would find out the next day and call me back. Guess, what? She never called me back. I am just done dealing with them, but I cannot believe they would give us so much grief about removing this $12 something fee and risk losing a customer. It is just the principle of the thing to me. We did absolutely nothing but spend the night, we used absolutely no resort activities and our group spent a fortune on the event hosted there. We are talking about hundreds of people! So not only have they angered me enough to never go again, they have made the group decide not to host their upcoming meeting there.

If these fancy places want additional resort fees, then just add it to the rate and quit nickel and diming people to death when they come in. The last place I paid a resort fee to at least had complimentary bottles of water in the room! This place didn't provide that or anything else I wouldn't get at any other hotel!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank McNaryGirl
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

First of all, thanks for taking the time to review the property and let us know of your issues. Your review and experience has been reviewed by management and will help us to improve our communication process in the future.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. It was well suited for the conference I was attending. The view from my room was great even though its winter. The service was excellent. The food was fine, nothing great but because of hte light show, it would have been impossible to leave the property to eat in the evening.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. It is our hope that you are planning a return trip back very soon!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed at Legacy Lodge for conference and have nothing but positive things for say about the hotel, staff and food in both the Windows & Bullfrogs restaurants. I would recommend this resort to anyone.
The Christmas Light display is spectacular

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

We are so happy to hear you that you enjoyed your time with us here at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. Your kind words are most appreciated and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

OK....So we continue to give our hard earned dollars to the resort and all its facilities and yet I never leave with a good feeling of satisfaction for the dollars we just spent. Before I go on, I'll mention that we go to Disney at least once a year and pay the same (if not less) for a nights stay and I never ever feel like I wasted a dollar. Here? Not so much.

The Good:
The hotel itself is really nice - especially the lobby. The staff at the hotel are great. The breakfast buffet is good too. The rooms are a slight bit dated, but comfortable. No fridge, which at these prices should be a standard, and the TV is lacking - but whatever......I'll look past that for now.

The OK:
The "Magical" Night Of Lights. To me it looked like something that would have been amazing back in the 1970's. Its nice and you can see the effort, but after a few minutes its kind of boring. Just a bunch of mostly static lights in a mold. We stayed the night (and rented a golf cart) and surely did not feel like we got a good 'bang for the buck', but our son liked it and it was all about the spirit of Christmas so I'll accept it for what it is. We would not be back just for this though.

The Bad:
The Value. Over $300 (close to $400) for one night - and that is before meals. Never again. $259 base price (plus resort fee's) and we still had to pay the $10 gate fee as if we were entering some other facility to get to this one. I spent a week at Disney just a few weeks ago for a little over double what it cost for this one night.

The Staff (other than the core hotel itself....they were all great). The folks that run the Carnival or Midway are a joke. Every single one had an attitude and were not at all pleasant and gave you that 'welcome' feeling. Quite the opposite actually. Whoever runs the carnival needs to be replace without delay!

Comparing to Disney is tough, I know, BUT if you are going to charge Disney prices and present a package with rides, Santa, lights, etc (a "destination" of sorts) you should at least make it appear as if you're happy to do so. Demand some smiles and class. At least make us feel good about spending a ton of hard earned money for relatively little. Maybe add a few "turn of the century" lights (-:

If I had to do it over again, I would not stay or book this package. I was glad to spend some quality family time, but at this cost I could think of several other things to do that at least get some real sense of value. There was nothing memorable about this quick stay.

All that said, I can appreciate the effort and still enjoy summers here (water park, beach, Sunset Cove, etc) but Wow.....to drop that kind of money and feel like I spent twice as much as I should have is not a good feeling.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 32ricks
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

First of all, we appreciate your review of the property and your stay with us here at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. The staff at the carnival is an outside company, but they should still represent the core values of our own Lake Lanier Islands staff. We have discussed your review internally and again, we appreciate your time to review the property.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I live in north Atlanta and recently spent a night at Legacy Lodge just as a little getaway from real life. The hotel itself is very pretty, perfectly comfortable and features all the bells and whistles a discerning traveler would want: choice of restaurants, good bathroom products and nicely finished bathroom. Brittany checked us in and she was very pleasant and helpful. Our restaurant server at Bullfrogs was also very friendly and was able to make recommendations on the food. The bed was firm which I don't care for so much, but you might love it. We were at the hotel on a Saturday night during the Lights festival. We did not drive through the lights as we have done that before and once is really enough. But we did go to the Christmas village and spent some time ice skating. The rink is just as small as the one at Centennial Park, but far less crowded and they actually resurfaced while we were there which was nice. I recommend this hotel to couples or families for a simple getaway and it looks like there will be a very nice indoor pool option available soon when they finish remodeling the pool area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

We appreciate your recent review and recommendations to other travelers looking to visit our Resort. We'll be sure to pass along your kind reviews about our staff as well. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and the staff was very nice. The heated pool and Jacuzzi were closed, perhaps they should take off the amenity upcharge while this renovation process is going on. Perhaps I am just spoiled, but I was not that impressed with the light show. I would have been disappointed if I had spent the $60 entrance fee. There are so many advertisements and everything is extra like ice skating and amusement rides. I wish I could give it a higher review but I cannot because I would not recommend this place to my friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GTechMom

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay here with us at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. We especially enjoyed reading the nice compliments you gave our staff! We do apologize that the pool was not accessible during your stay due to the renovations being done to it. It is our hope that you and your family will plan a return trip back and perhaps visit LanierWorld, our beach and water park this summer! We truly value all of our guests!

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My family stayed here recently for the "lights" tour and loved it. Very clean and comfortable rooms, great service, and a beautiful lodge atmosphere. Reasonably priced and lots of amenities make it the best in Atlanta-area Christmas lights tour. I like the lights better in Callaway, but the lodge here is the best!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Atlanta_GeorgiaTerry

We thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your most recent stay here with us at Legacy Lodge and Conference Center at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. We are happy to hear you enjoyed all the amenities that we offer here. It is our hope that you will visit us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Buford
Courtyard by Marriott Atlanta Buford Mall of Georgia
Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville
#1 of 12 in Gainesville
Hampton Inn & Suites Braselton
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Buford at Mall of Georgia

Been to Legacy Lodge? Share your experiences!