“Terrible service and maintenance”
Review of Legacy Lodge

Legacy Lodge
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Buford
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Nice location near the lake, however, quite far from the Atlanta airport, -- it took me more than an hour to drive there. I arrived late at night. The room I was given did not have a working TV and had a broken telephone. I was moved to a different room, which had an old and noisy air conditioner that would wake me up every time it turned on. I however was too tired to ask for a room change again. Next morning I left the room at about 10:30 am, which was apparently the time by which they had finished the housekeeping service. As a result my room was made only at 3 pm and only after I asked for it. Same situation with the swimming pool. They are supposed to provide towels at the deck. In reality, towels appear there only for short periods of time and only after you ask at the front desk to bring them. The front desk is staffed only during the day, - at night they had some tired looking people there who could not make any decision or answer any question, and suggested that you stopped by in the morning. The food is generally not impressive, even the chef specialties... Overall, due to the the nice location on the lake, it may be a good place to visit or spend a weekend if you live nearby and do not want to travel long distance. Otherwise, there are much better places to go for a vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with your first room not having a working television set or telephone and having to move during your stay. Our housekeeping hours of service are from 8:30AM-4PM with service upon request there after. We apologize for the lack of pool towel and have spoken with our pool side attendant on this topic. Your personal experience with our evening front desk staff if quite unusual and we have shared your opinion with each of them. Each is attending a retraining of "Quality Service Standards" conducted by our Human Resource team. We strive very hard to provide excellent customer service throughout all of our departments and we appreciate your letting us know ways in which we can improve. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn your trust and will visit again soon.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

What I love about this property is that you can go on a budget and stay at the Lodge, which I do NOT recommend, or you can stay at a Private Villa and get concierge amenities which include your own golf cart, a dedicated concierge for your every whim, beautiful views and everything you would expect and they even have renovated lake houses that are beautifully appointed where famous folks have stayed! But none of it is on the Lake where the beach is. So you'll have to take your golf cart to the beach and then you will have to walk down a pretty steep flight of steps and over a long stretch of land to get to the beach area. Sure, your probably going to stay there all day, but still, who wants to have to walk all that way there and back?

The Lake looks fun for kids, lots of stuff to do there. They make their boardwalk out to be a mini Atlantic City but I can tell you, although it's cute and well done, it's tiny, nowhere near the likes of Atlantic City so don't go expecting the grandeur they make it out to be. in fact the entire area is small so during high season I am guessing it gets packed. We ate at the local Italian restaurant. I have to say, it was incredibly good for what it looks like. Unfortunately it was just plain gross. Food on the floor that hadn't been sweeped up in I don't know how long, sticky tables, sand everywhere. They really need better management -and the bathrooms are outside the restaurant. It was incredible their food was as good as it was considering if the health inspector was there he probably would NOT have passed them. The mini golf is on a hill and not an easy one either so you are definitely not playing this course with grandma. Overall, the beach area other than the sand, which is white and manmade and therefore nice, is dissapointing. Go for the lake and the sun and the sand and the beach, but not for anything else and I guess you won't be dissapointed. There is no real midway to speak of either and nowhere to shop except one small place that offers some nice things.

The grounds of this Legacy Lodge and Lake Lanier is very pretty, unfortunately the lodge, other than the lobby where they put a lot of money into obviously are tired, they renovated just last year but obviously didn't put the renovations into the things that truly matter. For instance, they spent a huge amount of money on the new furnishings to look like a lodge, but nothing on the ugly patio outside the room...they are the old iron industrial bars and ruin the entire look and feel! I was shocked to see Delta faucets and hardware in the bathroom in a fairly expensive finish, you never see that in a hotel room! That was a nice touch. But towels and other soft goods need a renovation as well, but its clear stay in the villas or lake houses because there is where the money is and where they make there money. Also the spa is a HUGE dissapointment! They simply took a wing of the hotel and put a door on it and called it a spa, which is something I have never seen anyone do and didn't even bother to change the carpet! A huge dissapointment so don't let them tell you they have a spa, because I would not be able to relax in a place that was just rekitted to be rooms with beds in them...i was so uncomfortable I walked in and walked out and decided no treatments for me!
The other issue is the food, unfortunately the food I had at the Bull Frog twice was terrible. The fish and chips was fish sticks?!? And the chips were CHIPS! As in potato chips...which is unheard of and again, so dissapointing...and both meals tasted awful unfortunately. And if you want food other than Bull Frog you will have to go off property, and that makes it very inconvenient, and there's not much around - so the Lake Houses are a great option. All the good food they show on their website I didn't see any of anywhere. We also ate at the Sunset Cove, which was just OK - view was awesome have the hummus, delicious! The rest was so so. Windows serves a mean breakfast so I would recommend it, a nice spread and nice omelet. We sat outside but once again strangely the patio outside has shifted and it was crooked?! I would recommend a coffee from the Butler;s Pantry, really nice place!!! Great coffee great people delicious! So all in all, if you don't mind beach on a budget and not much amenities but you want the concierge services or a lake house without paying through the nose for a higher priced area, this could be your ticket!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Villas or the Lake Houses!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. It appears that there were a lot of great things about your visit and some not so great. Glad you enjoyed the Legacy Villa Private Concierge option. Yes our Lake House's do house "famous people." We are currently renting to a movie in development Los Angeles Company with several of the scenes being shot here on the islands. Our LanierWorld Boardwalk is a mini....as in really intimate....boardwalk. We only wish we could experience the foot traffic of Atlantic City Boardwalk. Your dining experiences is unacceptable to us and we have addressed this with our managers and staff. On a side note the Department of Public Heath was here, as they are throughout the year, and Gianni's restaurant received a score of 100%. However on the night you ate there that experience is embarrassing and we have conducted a sight inspection and hired "secret shoppers" to assure quality each and every time. We are not sure about the iron patio deck furniture as we cannot locate that specific location you are referring to. Our outdoor furniture is either wood or recycled materials. Our last renovation was over five years ago and we are in pre planning stages at this time for our 2014 soft goods renovation. We are pleased you enjoyed dining at Windows Restaurant and the Windows Patio was designed in the shape that your refer to as "crooked". We appreciate all of your comments as it gives us opportunities to improve on areas that mean the most to our valued guests and praises us on the things we are doing right. We hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying in many of the resorts across the state of Georgia as part of my work. Many times after a work related stay, my family will return on a personal trip. That will not be the case here. We were treated rudely, our room was not ready at check-in, and was not ready until almost 45 minutes later. And then it still wasn't ready, they just assigned us a different room (why they didn't do this first??). Our luggage was loaded on to a cart and pushed to a corner while we waited for a room. When we were finally given a room, no one was around to retrieve our luggage. Our room was THE VERY LAST ROOM on the floor, and no one offered to assist us with our luggage to our room, or at check out. I stood out front for at least 10 minutes for my car, with my ticket in hand, and was not even acknowledged by the valet staff. The food was over priced and not good. Rude staff, RUDE. From check in to check out, I did not encounter a single nice employee, much less was provided 5-star service. I was just terribly disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

We are terribly sorry to hear that you were not treated well during your recent stay. We honestly strive to provide true Southern Hospitality to each and every one of our valued guests and it sounds like we let you down horribly. We would have appreciated the opportunity to address your concerns while you were still our guest so we could correct those issues and make your stay truly enjoyable. Our staff is currently going though a yearly mandatory "Guest Service Expectation" program conducted my our Human Resource team. We use comments from our guests as role playing opportunities to flip the experience our guests had onto the staff how now become that specific guest and we role play the written comments and then role play that same situation and how it could turn out in a positive manner. We will make sure to incorporate your negative experience so our staff will fully understand this from your point of view and they in turn will not allow this to happen again going forward. On behalf of the management team here at Lake Lanier Islands Resort, please accept our sincere apologies that we did not meet your expecations. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My Husband and I stayed for a week and our room was never cleaned well. I had to go buy Clorox wipes to get it where we were comfortable. There were a few days that housekeeping never came at all, despite the fact that we left and removed our "do not disturb" sign and told them we were leaving for the day. While we enjoyed the outdoors (the pool, sunset cove etc.) the indoors is not enjoyable. Rooms = dirty. Food = not good. Fitness center = spider webs covering the yoga mats. I wouldn't stay here again unless they try to fix the issues that I know I can't be the only one complaining about.

• Stayed: June 2013

We are truly sorry to hear about your negative experiences at our facility. Our housekeeping department, for the last three years, has received a Lodge Department of Public Health Score of 100% and, just yesterday, we had another surprise Department of Public Health inspection (they are always a surprise since never announced in advance) and received a 100% score for our Villa rooms. These documented scores are posted for the public to view in our lobby.

That being said we apologize our team failed you and did not live up to expectations. We have meant with our housekeeping team and reviewed your experience with them and have conducted an additional walk through sight inspection. We hope that you will consider a return visit so that we may regain your trust. We look forward to having you return to Lake Lanier Islands Resort.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary at Lake Lanier Islands Resort in one of their rooms called "The Villas". It was so nice. It was clean and though rustic looking, everything was new and very clean. We had dinner at Bull Frog's inside Legacy Lodge and had the breakfast buffet in the morning. It was all very exceptional. We will definately go back.

Lake Lanier Islands Resort has boats to rent, a wake board pull, zip lines, a water park, golf, miles of nature trails (nature and paved), boat dock, camping, horseback riding, multiple wedding venues, conference rooms, Sunset Cove, Full Moon parties, concerts at the ampatheather- I don't even know all the things they have - the place is amazing.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! We are so pleased to hear that you had such a great time! We pride ourselves on our service standards and truly believe that there is something here for everyone! Thanks for letting everyone know how many great things are here at Lake Lanier Islands Resort. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I would just like to thank all the servers and cooks who work the other night.. They did a wonderful job too make all the guest happy. I'm very sorry not to know some of their names. But can remember some of the things they did for us. The buffet was really good, however we we're running out of crab legs and a brown hair girl, I think here name was Jennifer or Jess , told me she would make sure to have some to are table with in 5 minutes. she was there with snow king crab legs with drawn butter and they were wonderful. She was very attentive as we're the others to make sure we had plenty of wine and all plates were clear from the table. And the best thing is they all had positive energy.. We also had a bee issue earlier that day. and a nice gentleman I think is named might have been Brian help solve the problem. I would hope that future times to come that you could prevent this from happen again with the bee's. ... Thanks Lake Lanier ISLANDS!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Welcome to true Southern Hospitality...Lake Lanier Islands Resort style! We are so excited to hear how great everything was for you and what exceptional customer service you received from everyone you came in contact with! We look forward to your return stay soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

My wedding was beautiful at Legacy Pointe which is right behind the lodge. Everyone had a great time, but there were some definite issues that you should be aware of.

1. Transportation – Major problem when the shuttle that was supposed to pick up me and the bridal party from the Villa to take us to Legacy Point didn’t show up. When we called we were told that the shuttle was there....obviously this was not true since we were outside the villa waiting, each time we called. I ended up having to get a ride with the florist. It put us 45 minutes behind so no pre-ceremony pics.
Also, my grandmother was in a wheelchair and needed transportation to/from the hotel down to the venue. It was late picking her and my grandfather up before the ceremony and then after the reception they were made to wait nearly an hour in the cold to be taken back up to the hotel. If the groom and I had known, we would have turned back around and gone back to pick them up!

2. Guest placement before ceremony – The guests were not supposed to be allowed to walk toward the ceremony site while I was out trying to do pictures (ended up not having enough time because of the transportation issue above). My understanding was that they would be told to wait in a certain area in the tent. However, they were apparently directed to go around the tent where I was and I saw nearly 2 dozen people before the ceremony began.

3. Honeymoon villa suite cleaning – The room was supposed to be cleaned after 7pm since all the bridesmaids got ready there and I wanted it clean before Trey and I returned to the room after the wedding. This was not done, garbage cans were overflowing, a second bathrobe was not put out, linens were not removed or replaced.

4. F&B service – I thought the staff was friendly however there were a few problems reported to me by guests. One table had a hard time getting any of the passed Hors d'oeuvres. The same table had their bread basket taken up before they’d even had any. When they asked to have more bread, they were told no. (There could not have been a shortage of bread since we had at least a dozen no shows that we paid for.) I had a guests ask for hot tea since it was chilly, and were ignored by most servers as well.

5. Cake – Many of the wedding party did not get cake (including the groom). The fact that the cake was thrown away when other guests also asked for more and my mother had asked for it to be boxed up is extremely upsetting. We nearly lost the top tier as well, if my maid of honor had not been able to find a cupcake box that the baker had left us with sample cupcakes.

Like I said, it was a beautiful wedding, food was delicious, and most guests did enjoy themselves, but when you go through all of the planning and shell out a lot of money you expect these things to happen at a place that does this number of weddings. I did hear from my coordinator and she took my event problems to the director of operations. They are working with us on a resolution.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buford
9 mi away
Hilton Garden Inn Gainesville
#1 of 12 in Gainesville
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Buford at Mall of Georgia
Hampton Inn & Suites Braselton

Been to Legacy Lodge? Share your experiences!