“Disgusting, dirty property, with no Customer Service at all!”

Legacy Lodge & Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Buford
Atlanta, GA
“Disgusting, dirty property, with no Customer Service at all!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed at the Lanier Island Resort from July 10-12 for a work retreat/conference. When I first drove up to the hotel, I noticed all the signs that stated there was free valet service but there was absolutely no valet to take the car. No one at all. So I drove around and found the parking lot myself, parked, and came into the lobby. The lobby looks nice. Sort of like a log cabin. It smelled great too.

Check-in was supposed to be at 4pm, so I arrived around 4:15 to the hotel. I was second in line to be checked in. I have no idea what was going on, but there were two front desk associates, and they each had only one person they were working with but it still took over 40 minutes for them to get to me! That is a very long time to wait in line to check into a hotel. By the time they were ready to assist me, there was about 8-9 other guests waiting behind me to check in. If check-in time is at 4pm, then why not staff appropriately?

So I get to my room and notice how dated the room looks although the bathroom is very modern. The bedroom looks like something out of the 80s. I do the usual check. Walk in the bathroom, check the toilet, shower, etc. Then I went to check the beds. I pulled down the sheets, and there were stains, hair, and crumbs inside the bed. It looked as if no one had changed the sheets! I immediately go to call the front desk, but the phone by the bed doesn’t work. I try the phone by the office desk and notice how filthy it was. I still dial, inform the front desk of my issue, and they say to come back to the front desk and they would move me to another room.

I again wait in line, at this point I’m behind all the other people that were in line behind me…I get to the desk agent, and notice her name was the same as the person I spoke with on the phone. I reminded her of our conversation and she had my room key ready. No apology for the issue, no manager stating that it is not usual to find stained sheets in their room. It was as if this happens all the time and they just switched the room without any apology what so ever.

I get to my new room; do the same check, and although it was not cleaned to my satisfaction, I accepted it as the room because it wasn’t overtly dirty. I start to unpack and then try to wash my hands and no water comes out of the faucet. I mean nothing. So I personally go under the vanity and turn on the main water supply underneath the sink. That results in only the cold water working. Absolutely no hot water was coming out of the faucet. I was already late for the evening conference, so I went ahead and just dealt with it.

The following morning, I took a shower, and realized that the tub did not drain at all. The water was literally filling up at my feet and it was disgusting.

I went to the breakfast in their Windows restaurant arranged with our company. I go to the buffet, and pull the first plate and notice that it is crusty. I look closely and flip it over and there is crusted over cheese and egg on the plates. My plate and the one underneath in the stack. That is DISGUSTING! I immediately call over a member of the staff and let her know that the plates are dirty and not acceptable to eat. Again, no apology. She just took the dirty plates, ignored me, and then started talking to another associate. Wow.

That day, during our conference in the Grand Ballroom, I noticed how dated and old the facilities were. During one of the presentations, I noticed something moving on the floor near my foot. It was a large centipede-type bug just about crawl up my leg. Come on Legacy Resort! You’re supposed to be a LUXURY resort! When the last time that place has been thoroughly cleaned? How do you expect companies to rent your facilities when your housekeeping staff is not doing what it should?

I will NEVER ever return to this resort. The prices are ridiculously high for the type of accommodations you have. Trust me, word of mouth is a huge thing, and I have told all my Atlanta area friends about my experience here. Service will make or break a hotel, and combine poor service with a disgusting facility, and you have a combination for poor business.
Stay away, there are much better accommodations in the Atlanta area that actually upkeep their properties and deliver what they say they will.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Meliss1056

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have stayed twice this year and both stays were exceptional. Customer service with a smile and issues resolved without incident. There was a problem with our air conditioner. A technician appeared within minutes and the problem was fixed while we were at dinner. We enjoyed our stay so much we extended.

Room Tip: Both times I stayed on the second floor on two different wings. Both rooms were quiet with a great...
1 Thank Kristy F
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your great review! We are so pleased that you had such exceptional service and enjoyed your stay so much that you stayed longer! We look forward to your return visit soon.
Atlanta
Reviewed July 16, 2012

My family and I just spent the past weekend here for a company function. We had a nice big room but the AC was very loud and would wake me up when it came on. The staff was friendly and accomadating. Many thanks to the woman concierge, who has been there for 11 years. She went above and beyond to make the company gathering a success. The male bartender in Bullfrogs was the only sour person on staff. I'm a tennis player and couldn't believe the poor conditions of the courts. two of the courts by the summer house were totally unplayable, weeds growing everywhere through the cracks. Only one court was playable by the lodge. courts never blown off, cracks with weeds, poor surface and gate wouldn't close. Don't plan on playing tennis there.The food in Bullfrogs just ok. Don't order the steak. Hope they make some improvements but overall every seemed to have a great time. Thanks.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We are so glad that you had an enjoyable time and that our fabulous concierge and staff were a part of that success! We appreciate your comments regarding the condition of the tennis courts. We want our guests to know that their suggestions for improvement are acknowledged and appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We had the unfortunate displeasure of staying in cabin #17 at what you call a resort. Right from the strt i knew this was a mistake. Watching my wife and her sisters try to pull their luggage through the gravel walkway 100 yards. The place was like i stepped into the early 1990's. The tv in the "great room" was so small i caught my family squinting to see it from across the room. The tv in one bedroom had a VHS "REALLY" a VHS!? The other one had nothing; no dvd or VHS. The curtains didn"t fit so they pinned them up in the back. The furniture was old and frumpy looking. You didn't want to sit on it w/o some cover. The good thing was the washer and dryer worked fine. The bad thing was thier was no ice maker! The bottom line is that this cabin was run down! They should be ashamed to charge premium rates for 3rd rate accommodations. The terrible thimg is the front desk person i spoke with (Clare) seemed as if she had heard all of this before. Check out the pictures i took it should help you make up your mind about staying here. Everyone i come in contact with i tell this horror story.

Room Tip: Choose a Villa.
2 Thank Ernest C
We appreciate you letting us know where we need improvement . The LakeHouses are scheduled for a 2013 renovation. We apologize that your experience was unfavorable and hope that in the future you would consider returning.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Pretty grounds and nice room, not very spacious and our balcony view was Georgia Red Clay and pine trees, At check in the staff was not very nice, she wasn't helpful and didn't even tell me where anything was, I went back to ask her a question and she was rude. Breakfast that was included with room was wonderful and the staff was great. We paid $249 for breakfast and 8 passes to water park. Large pool. Make sure you eat at the Coastal Breeze when you leave the Island.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We sincerely apologize that your check-in experience was not friendly or helpful. This is not our typical level of guest service and we hope you will visit us again soon so that we may provide you with exceptional service! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and we are sure that you had a great time at the water park! We look forward to your return visit soon.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed at Lake Lanier Island Resort this weekend. The lodge was great and service was nice. In addition, we really enjoyed the four free passes to the waterpark. The park was clean, well staffed and fun for the whole family. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for the hotel and waterpark special.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
llisocial, Guest Relations Manager at Legacy Lodge & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive comments! We are so pleased that you had a great time! We look forward to your return visit soon.
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Looks beauftiful, great lake, great area but... the rooms were just ok. Our a/c didn't work, we realize after returning from a late dinner. Rather than moving us to another room, the night clerk suggested we just sleep in another room. Say what? leave our stuff and just take our pj's? They had no maintenace on staff nor any manager or bellman to move our things. So we slept on another floor and returned in the morning. We had 3 rooms, 3 couples and all 3 rooms were quite small, coffee pot in one room didn't work, the slider onto the porch in same room was barely movable and the screen on the slider in our room fell off the track.

The grounds didn't seem like they were kept up to par and the pool needed serous help. Concrete chipping off and was all over the bottom of the pool, grout was pretty much non existent. The staff serving the pool was practically invisible, towels were unavailable much of the time and folded towels available were damp.

The food in the main restaurant on the first floor, off of the pool, was just okay food. A bit pricey as most hotel restaurants. The breakfast restaurant was a buffet and pretty good although the coffee was very bitter and strong.

One July 5th we checked in and were told the hotel had been completely booked. This fact is surprising when we tried to dine at the closest off site, but on the island, restaurant and found it closed at 9pm. We had a late day of boating and then a late start out to grab a quick bite. We headed back to the hotel to find that the restaurant on property closes at 10pm and no room service available. On a holiday weekend and a fully booked hotel I would have thought there would be food available later in a resort area.

Just about everything here was just so - so.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Please accept our sincere apologies for the maintenance issues you experienced during your stay. This is not typical for how our resort is run as we strive to ensure that all of our rooms and service levels exceed our guests’ expectations. We thank you for your comments because they give us the opportunity to improve in areas where we have not provided the level of service that you, our guest, expects. We hope that you will consider a return visit soon so that we may regain your trust.­­­­­­­­