“Third Time Not a Charm”

Mallory's Castaway's
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Family atmosphere. Outdoor seating with a water view. Evening drinks with the friends and live entertainment on the weekends.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Third Time Not a Charm”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Our first visit to this wonderful location on Lake Lanier at Holiday Marina was wonderful. The service was great and the grilled mahi tacos fantastic. We have always loved coming here when it was under different management (Dockside Grill). Our second visit with two other couples was not what we experienced the first time. I ordered the same mahi tacos because the fruit salsa and chips that came with it were awesome. When my food arrived, the salsa was just a regular tomato salsa with blue chips (not what the menu described). When i asked the waitress why it was different she told me they ran out and this is all they had. She never attempted to tell me when I ordered it that it would not be as described in the menu. I definitely would have chose something else. She did offer to take it back and let me order something else, but didn't want it to be a huge deal. She did bring some mango or peach mixture chopped up. So, we thought we would try again the following weekend. This time I decided to order a turkey sandwich on focaccia bread (as described in the menu). We also ordered a basket of onion rings as an appetizer @ $7.99. There were 10 onion rings, at the most,. That would be about .79 cents per onion ring. Not a great deal! We asked to be sure she brought the basket and not just a side. She said it was the basket. My turkey sandwich arrived on a bread that was dry and definitely not the focaccia bread as described in the menu. I asked her why the bread was different. She had to go back to the kitchen to find out and came back stating they were out of that bread. Once again she never mentioned when I ordered that it wouldn't come as described in the menu. I had her bring me a hamburger instead. The hamburger was great and came as ordered. I figured not much could go wrong if I ordered that and I was right. My husband's fish came with a side of Mallory's homemade potato chips. They were cold and when my husband complained the server brought another order that was freshly made and hot. I really was hoping to have a better experience this time, but won't be going back. This restaurant used to be packed on the weekends when it was Dockside Grill. There were maybe 50% of the tables filled this time and less than that the other two visits. If you go make sure you ask if your order will come as described. I don't think the value was so great for the appetizers, so that's why I checked value as poor. The sandwiches were priced decently for what you get. The atmosphere is great overlooking the boats on the outdoor patio and sometimes live music, but gave the overall rating of average because of the menu discrepancies.

• Visited August 2012

“HORRIBLE.”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Do not go here. Food was horrible. It's scene of boaters pumping gas in their boats is not what you wanna see when eating cold food. Did I mention the service? HORRIBLE TOO. This place should've stayed closed. The only thing going for them is that they are in a big marina and when people are coming off their boats they will eat just about anything. I however will be packing my lunch and dinner from now on!

Flowery Branch, Georgia
“New Owner/New Food - Mallory's Castaway”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Excellent fresh made to order items. The wait is a bit longer on the weekends but well worth it. Try the blacked Mahi with their homemade mango salsa. They also have their own chips and fresh red pepper hummus. It's a wide selection for sure, from burgers, fish taco's, wraps, salads and more.
The owner is super friendly and walks around to greet everyone.
Eat on the deck for a true lake feel.

• Visited June 2012
Atlanta
“Owner needs reality check!”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

While sitting close enough to the lake to feel you may get splashed by approaching boats, the nearly outdoor closet sized kitchen usually turns out well above average grilled burgers, chicken dishes, and a suprisingly vast amounts of choices. We had been here several times, and the recently upgraded 50 person covered patio complete with with outdoor tv's and built in overhead fans and monster heating units was a welcome addition.
However, our most recent visit is a tale of disbelief and disappointment.
We arrived for lunch at 2:30, not exactly the lunch rush, and was immediately appalled at how rude and disconnected from reality the owner was by her ensuing actions.
It was uncomfortable to witness and actually made me decide not to go back which is a shame since I have recomended this experience several times.
My Mom who was not hungry, wanted just a few bites of a small side salad. Rather than order a salad from the menu, I asked the gal behind the counter if I can swap out my fries for a small side salad to which she replied no problem. The owner jumped up and interupted the waitress to let us know we can buy a garden salad for $7.95. Excuse me, mind your business. Then with no regard, the owner began to order this employee around to pick up trash, clean various tables, etc, while she was still in the middle of helping us. The gal then embarassingly informed us we would also be charged for tap water. Excuse me again, but this is not a fancy French Bistro, but rather basically a grill with roof on it.
And by the way, the food was barely warm and extremely forgettable this time. We will not be back.

There are other places to eat on the lake.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Dixxie32Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia
“Dockside is now Mallory's Castaways”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I haven't been to this place under its new management, but if it is like it was last year, it should be pretty good. Definitely try to get a table outside, as there is usually music and a good atmosphere. I'll post another review when I eat there again. Just checked out their menu, the best appetizer from last year, ahi tuna isn't on the menu.

• Visited September 2011
, Manager at Mallory's Castaway's, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Thank you for the comment. Yes we are new owners and new food items. We hope you visit soon and try our new menu selections. Be sure to try the Bacon Walnut Dip as an appetizer.