“Wonderful Treats!”
Review of The Baking Grounds

The Baking Grounds
Ranked #1 of 262 Restaurants in Buford
Description: Now located at 4360 South Lee Street, Buford GA. Right Between Community Bank & The Funeral Home! More Parking, more menu items, now teaming with UberEats for you to get The Baking Grounds great food delivered! The Baking Grounds Bakery Cafe, Home of I Do Cake is a real, old fashioned specialty cake boutique which has been creating unique wedding cakes, anniversary cakes, grooms cakes for over 50 years. A family tradition since 1958, we want to be your first choice for specialty wedding cake, grooms cakes, anniversary cakes. With over 80 years of combined experience, The Baking Grounds Bake Cafe, Home of I Do Cake, provides specialty 3D cakes, wedding cake, grooms cake and more for your special events. Our cakes are baked from scratch, fresh from the oven, from our family to yours... We also offer a full breakfast & lunch menu with all kinds of soups, sandwiches, daily specials, gourmet coffee and espresso drinks!
Reviewed November 6, 2018

The food is yummy here! From soups to sandwiches, everything is wonderful! The service is great, and prices are reasonable. The baked goods are divine! I have special ordered a graduation cake, and it was perfect!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed October 14, 2018

The service was great! I had a burger and it was a bit small, but perfect for me. The prices are very reasonable. They have beautiful pastries inside! I also had a latte and it was perfect!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

The Baking Grounds is one my go to places for lunch good menu, good food and great service. It’s quaint atmosphere is just perfect for chitchat with friends. Plus if you’re so inclined you can pick up a goodies to take home.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

Ok, let me preface this whole review in saying, Baking Grounds is NOT a terrible place to eat! They moved to a new location last year, and their lunches are great; however, in comparison to another restaurant down the street as top of the TA list in Buford, I’d have to say you’re trying to compare apples and oranges...
The new location is cute, has lots of space, both nice inside and outside seating and plenty of parking. The patio is light and airy, complete with swings and a cool breeze on most days. The staff is always friendly, and they have lots of menu items from which to choose. They have a great lunch special of homemade bread, made to order fresh sandwiches, chips, drink and a cookie for all under $8 (I think). Everyday, there’s a new homemade soup feature and beautiful goodies for dessert.
My favorite lunch special is chicken salad on olive and rosemary loaf bread with an oatmeal cookie and sweet tea. Honestly, the sweet tea can be hit or miss, but the chicken salad is wonderful. Sometimes, they’ll have chicken and rice or chicken noodle soup as the daily special, and both are always great.
Now, my main gripe would have to be the desserts. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE sweet things, and while their cakes and goodies have the display enticement if being “out-of-this-world delicious,” I always leave feeling let down and disappointed. I have tried them many times over the years, as well, this isn’t a new thing.
Don’t get me wrong, the presentations are beautiful, and the cakes are phenomenal in creativity and originality, but everything I have tasted thus far has left much to be desired...and my list of taste-testing is long: cupcakes, cookies, cashew clusters, coconut haystacks, cake pops, chess bars, brownies, cinnamon rolls, danishes, dipped Nutter Butters and dipped Oreos, petit fours, turtles, iced “Whoopies” and more.
Everything is just too SUGARY! It’s presented beautifully, but there’s not a lot of depth in the actual taste origin. Some are not as bad as others, like the chess bars and the oatmeal cookies, but everything, especially anything with white chocolate added, tastes like it has one cup too many of added sugar. If they would put as much concentration into the taste quality control as they do the presentation of quality, they would really be hard to beat!! ... and please, don’t get me started on the coffee. They have a daily special, and it always sounds wonderful, and even smells heavenly, but unfortunately, here again, it is lacking in the taste department. If they could switch to a greater depth of tastes in both the coffee and desserts and keep their beautiful presentations and creativities, they will be a hard bakery to beat in all of North Georgia. We need an amazing bakery, and they have the potential of being an amazing landmark in an amazing small town!

Date of visit: July 2018
lornemccaslin, Owner at The Baking Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2018

Hello,

First let us say that we appreciate you taking the time to review us. Having said that, it is a little strange that you say so much good, then only a 2 star review. We understand that you think our bakery items are "too sweet". However, it is a bakery, and sweet it is. You say we are not number one in Buford, and that is obviously not true, as 147 5 star reviews prove, not to mention The Knot, Wedding Wire, Google, Facebook and several other reviews attest to.

As a small Mom & Pop business, we are very aware that our customers come first. If you think our baked goods are too sweet, that's fine. However, we have n=been doing this for 40+ years. My father owned a bakery cafe since 1958, and our recipes are the standard in the industry.

Leaving a 2 star review does hurt us, and we wish we could have spoken to you before that. We can't reformulate the hundreds of recipes that have been passed down, but perhaps we could have found a way to improve the rating given.

When a family owned business is given a bad review, it really hurts. It can cost lost revenue, and ultimately many other adverse results. We personally always give an establishment a chance to redeem themselves before harsh words or low star reviews are left. I guess it's because we understand that all (or most anyway) are trying to provide for their families and employees.

In closing, if there is anything we can do to improve your rating, or more importantly serve you better, we would like that chance.

Have a blessed day, and thanks again.

Lorne & Malinda McCaslin
Owners
The Baking Grounds

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

This family owned bakery has the best cake on the planet! It's delightfully moist and the fillings are to die formmmm!

Date of visit: September 2017
TheBakingGrounds, Owner at The Baking Grounds, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Thank you so much for the kind words and 5 Star Review!!! It means so much to us here at The Baking Grounds!

Been to The Baking Grounds? Share your experiences!