“Woke up @ 3:30a.m. to a horrible chemical smell, phone did not work”
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites

Sleep Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
GreenLeadersBronze level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Woke up @ 3:30a.m. to a horrible chemical smell, phone did not work”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My children & I stayed here for one night en route home after the holidays. Great rate, $56 for two double beds, I was trying to stay somewhere clean & safe for under $60. Guy at the desk (late at night) was super friendly & polite. No problems getting extra towels. Room was nice & clean, bathroom was large & my kids loved the "bat-cave" shower. Only three stars because at 3:30 a.m., I awoke to a horribly potent dizzying chemical smell. I thought my kids would suffocate from the powerful odor. I quickly grabbed the bedside phone to call the front desk but the phone, although connected, did not work- no dial tone, no lights, completely dead. I had to call the front desk from my cell phone. A man answered and said he would walk the floor to see what is going on. I did not receive any further information as to what was causing the reeking smell.
When we re-entered the room after the very basic breakfast, my kids noted the smell, not nearly as powerful as it was earlier but they smelled it.
Freezer did not freeze our ice packs and the ice machine on 2nd floor was empty.
Check out was easy, the attendant was very courteous. I was distracted by my children and in a rush to get back on the road so I did not ask her what was going on that night.
Overall, the hotel was clean and staff pleasant. What was the chemical odor? I do not know. Why did the phone not work? I have no idea.

Room Tip: Our room had a great view of the parking lot so I was able to keep an eye on my car.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Willow Spring, North Carolina
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We pulled off of I-95 at 1am to find a place to stay for the night. Ended up pulling in here because it looked nice and new and I thought it might be a little cheaper than the others that were nearby. At 1am I wasn't really into price shopping but, I did feel that 66.00 a night plus tax seemed a little steep!

However, we stayed here and it was clean, with comfy beds and worked out fine for the short time we were there.

As another reviewer stated they had a continental breakfast that didn't include eggs or meat. It was ok, for what it was.

I would probably stay here again for an overnighter.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed November 21, 2011

This hotel was very nice. The bathroom was large, granite counters and a sloped back tub for those that like to bathe and read. The beds were comforatable, the internet fast and the tv large.

Check-in was easy and polite. The same with checkout.

The breakfast was continental, there were no eggs and meats but you could make your own waffles.

The rate was great for this caliber of hotel and we would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Room, grounds, entry, eating area - everything looked VERY nice. Bathroom was much bigger than other Sleep Inns and this one had separate lamps beside bed instead of the LONG fluourescent light on ceiling as previous Sleep Inns. This hotel is more like a Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn. We were extremely impressed. Staff very courteous and helpful.

There was a smell in elevator and I asked but they said it's sulphur (which is a problem in area& Florida) and not sure what the problem is, but it's just in elevator shaft.

We would definitely stay here if in area again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
North Yorkshire
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in September 2011. We checked in the room and then went to get our bags. We placed our hand luggage on the floor to keep the door open and noticed a rather strange looking object under the door. As we moved the door again, dog poo appeared. It had obvioulsy been pushed up under the door. The receptionist moved our rooms - in the new room the coffee machine was incomplete and the TV didn't work. The receptionist sorted this out and provided disinfectant for the hand luggage. Wi-fi rubbish too !
Next morning we received NO reduction and were told that as the new room was satisfactory then there would be no refund. As we had other plans we did not have time to query it. Subsequent emails with the owner and head office have provided a credit note for half the value of the room - not easy for us in England to use. Don't bother staying. Can't vote for less than 1 but if you could it would be minus 10.

Room Tip: One without dog poo.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank jackiegraham
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I'm very pleased, as a repeat guest, with my stays/visits at this standout property. My first stay incurred an issue that warranted the response and resolve by hotel management. The issue was handled in a most concerned and positve manner. I mention this as noteworthy to address that this hotel and its staff exemplifies: "Taking care of the customer." Sure, opinions are subjective, but here, at the Sleep Inn & Suites, Brunswick, Georgia, this team has demonstrated and earned my (repeat) business.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Florida
Reviewed October 20, 2011

The room was very large and clean with a comfortable bed. I would stay here again. The bargain was a perk.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo