“What a dump.”

Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
Florida
“What a dump.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

This motel is simply awful. It is a large older conference style motel property - it might have started out as a Holiday Inn - and much of it still looks like it did in the early seventies. It appears the owners are trying, as there are some small touches like new draperies, and bedspreads. Unfortunately, the more expensive and badly needed maintenance, like the peeling paint on the ceilings, inoperable door locks, and badly stained carpets are not being addressed. The place is just filthy. I decided not to stay the night after I checked in, and drove on into the night to make it home.

I really blame the Choice Hotel Group for not establishing stricter brand standards for their hotels. I'm not even sure that the Clarion Inns have a standard, but I have never seen a good one.

Stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you need a cheap room, check out the Super 8 next door.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Six family members stayed 3 nights at the Clarion Inn and from the moment I walked in to handle the business Alphonso (Front Desk Associate) made our stay as pleasant as he could in our time of grief. He made sure all rms were next to each other, had the staff dbl check the cleanliness of rms & he personnally came to check on us. On his own time he offered his service if we needed it...what a lovely spirit he has.... NAMASTE Alphonso. We will be back to Brunswick GA and stay at the Clarion Inn, where the continental is tasty, the staff is friendly & helpful, the rms are decent and the price was within my budget

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Lobby looks great, rooms are quite different. Out dated, our room keys only worked part time even after we had to get keys switched. Continental breakfast was not good, didn't offer much of a variety however the coffee was great! Wireless never worked while in our room, had to go to the lobby to get connected. Overall stay experience = very poor!

• Stayed July 2013
Brunswick, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Expedia rates this as a 3 star hotel! DO NOT believe this! I did a LOT of traveling this past year and stayed in a fair number of hotels/motels and this had to be the worst booking I did. This by no stretch can be called a 3 star, not even a 2 star. It is a very tired, blah motel that desperately needs some updating. Room smelled funny, that "old" smell, bathroom is extremely tiny, no plugs for plugging in anything unless you want to unplug something, bottom of bathroom door is peeled off, damage on desktop, dead bugs in the sink, inside bottom of room door bent up (had to be careful not to get jabbed by it going in and out). Internet did not work, manager said they had just had an incident down the street and Comcast was on the scene. After reading reviews for the past couple of months it was apparent that the internet is rarely reliable here so I called Comcast to see if there was an outage. There wasn't. Customer service at the front desk when I checked in was lacking. He wasn't very welcoming or cheerful at all. There was one plus of this hotel, the bed was very comfortable and had great pillows!

Greenville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I booked my hotel for my annual childcare trip through Hotels.com. From start to finish the customer service was excellent. I talked with Maryann the front desk person on a few occasion and her service was excellent. After having people from my group change their mind about the trip, they still gave us the rooms at the reduced rate. We even made changes when we arrived and they were so helpful. The service I received from Alphonso and Maryann and even housekeeping was excellent. We had a few minor problems, but they took care of them right away.

Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stay at the Clarion 2 nights 2 rooms. The first night my daughter returned from bowling with her cousins around 1:30 am and there were bugs in her bed. The natural responce was to kill them and she left residue on the sheets. She called me and I told her to stay in our room and we would deal with it the next morning. We talked with housekeeping and showed Ms. Helen the residue and then called front desk who was not responsive. The lady at front desk stated, "We just had those rooms exterminated." My daughter's response was, "Really, well I am telling you what I saw and the maid saw the residue from the bugs." I would have thought she would say something like, "I'm sorry we will move you right away and take care of the situation. None of that! Someone called me about 1:30 pm to tell me they were giving us another room. So it took them about 5 hrs to decide to rectify this problem. I didnt want to complain too loudly because it was my husband's family reunion and I didn't want to seem ungrateful. I am still wondering did this happen because this is located in a small town in Georgia. It wasn't so-oo much about the bugs....and then it was but the idea that front desk handle it as if we were lying. They had a nonchalant attitude no urgency at all. I will not stay at any Clarion ever again.

1 Thank Angel W
Brunswick, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Needing a temporary room until my apartment was open at the end of this month, I moved to town three weeks early, and mistakenly chose the Clarion Inn for a weekly rental. We had a cat, and one of the front desk managers, (there are two, according to two workers), "gave us a deal" on the pet deposit, only after we guaranteed the cat would stay in the bathroom or in her carrier at all times indoors. After reading about this particular hotel, turns out the "special" Alphonso gave was the set price on their website.

As stated several times before, the card for the room was charged not once, not twice, but THREE times during the first week, all before the second week's charges were even due. No one knew why, or how to fix it. Alphonso kept saying he would call Maryann, I think her name was, and that she would call back. The next day, I called again, and he still didn't know anything. I finally caught up with the lady, the second manager, at breakfast one day, by which times the three pre-authorizations had fallen off, releasing the hold on my money.

The Internet NEVER worked in our room, and as plenty of other bad comments have covered, they have needed new equipment for at least a year now. The two above mentioned "front desk managers" did not know when it was going to be fixed, and each said the other was taking care of it.

The cable quality in our room was horrible as well. Some channels were clear, but many were "snow covered" and some even featured two channels blending together. it was lovely. Mentioned the issue to maintenance and was told that the filter just needed to be cleaned, but that he had a lot of other things on his list. It was never fixed.

There was a "business center" in the front lobby that I relied on, but even the two computers there didn't provide much help. some days were strong signal days, but one computer was either running very slowly, or was not working at all. This is the computer that had a printer. The second computer did, but its' printer was out of ink. The remainder of the "business center" consisted of a stapler, scotch tape and a few ink pens. Forget about faxing from here, as it is $5.00 for each page. Fortunately, there was a post office store right down the road that only charged $1.00 per page.

Upon arrival, a roach was found in the bathroom, and was killed in the shower. Upon checkout, the room service still hadn't cleaned that portion of the shower, and the remains are still in the same place as three weeks ago. Housekeeping was suppose to come by twice a week, and swap out the towels daily. This rarely happened.

The pool was closed over Memorial Day, in order to paint the steps, and was closed again yesterday. They were cleaning the pool, because after it rained, the water turned green. They apparently needed a certain chemical to prevent that, but cut some corners by not purchasing it. IF you do stay here, check the pool first, as I noticed many other guests said they were told the pool was closed AFTER the money had been handed over.

When the pool was open, we never stayed when the sun started setting. Folks were around the tables and in the gazebo with beer bottles and cigarettes. Not the environment most people want their children around.

The employees all talk about each other during their shifts. It was during my time on the computer in the "business center" that I learned this. On a very few occasions, specific guests were talked about as well. Very unprofessional.

One of the managers live on the grounds, and my daughter was riding her skateboard on the sidewalk, because it was much smoother and even than the lumpy parking lot. The boyfriend of said manager came out of their room, telling my daughter to "knock off the noise". I would understand the slight distraction if it was, say, 8am, but this was 3:00pm. The same man, however, wasn't against playing loud music late at night and having lots of foot traffic in and out, late at night.

Still having three weeks left until my apartment becomes available, my daughter and I have moved to the Red Roof Inn. They have larger rooms, perfect Internet and cable, as well as a pool that is open and without as many beer drinkers sitting around it. For extended stays, or just a night passing through, I highly recommend the Red Roof Inn, or honestly, any other common chain. Stay clear of this Clarion.

1 Thank Debra P