“handy hotel but a little too close to I95”

Courtyard Brunswick
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked online and got an excellent price, very reasonable for a Courtyard with a pool and hot tub. Tried to check in early on a Saturday, but no luck. Went sight seeing and came back at 5 to check in. Our room was on the second floor, king bed, couch, fridge, microwave. Very nice. We drove into St Simons for dinner and then rushed back to hit the pool, since they told us it closed at 8 PM. It was over run by several yelling jumping slashing kids. We said no and went to our room for a little tv before hitting the hay after a long day of driving. The next morning we got up early and headed down to the hot tub, no one around and then went to the pool. The sign said it was open until 10 PM, but front desk clerk said 8 PM. ?? Pool and hot tub were both clean, however by 9 AM, no one had been out to pick up the dirty towels from the day before yet. We checked out and left by 10. Road noise is heard, but not so much that we couldn't sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the highway, if that's possible. Opt for third floor so you don't he...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Catching up on reviews, been awhile since my stay.

I used to travel to Brunswick several times a month and of the 7 area hotels I have stayed in this is by far my favorite. Friendly staff, (well most of them), great location, comfortable rooms. Denny’s right behind the hotel within walking distance and the market in the lobby are great if you want something late at night and don’t want to drive anywhere. Pool is nice as well as the hot tub, a little odd that the hot tub is indoors and the pool is outdoors but I believe they had the largest hot tub I have ever seen at a hotel. On one stay I had a room with a sliding door that opened to a small patio with its own chairs in the courtyard and a walkway to the pool.

Only problem I had during multiple stays was one of the waitresses, if she was working the breakfast buffet area that morning you didn’t get refills on orange juice etc. Other than that breakfast was always good. Unfortunately it looks like they did the remodel of the lobby after my last stay and replaced the buffet with the new Bistro which from my experience at Courtyard’s that have them are not as good.

I would still stay here again if I needed to go to this area but I would probably not do the stay for breakfast rate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We recently moved to the Brunswick area and needed a place to stay while awaiting our household goods. We've stayed at Courtyards before and were pleased. The lobby area was very welcoming with couches, tv, fireplace, business center. There was a bistro there too. Everything looked clean and bright. Our room was quite spacious. The bed was comfortable, everything was in working order, plenty of towels etc. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend the Courtyard to others. We did not use the pool or fitness center. I did see the pool. It was small but looked clean. They also had umbrella tables and a gas grill outside for guests to use. Lots of nice touches. They also offered a nice Triple A discount.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the front of the building. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I found the decor and facilities to be very good for a Courtyard. They even offer a Starbucks coffee stand in their restaurant which was great because I have lattes everyday. I wish that they would have had more help in the restaurant during the morning as it was a long wait to get that latte.

I appreciated the fridge in the room too. The only thing I didn't like was that the electrical outlets on the nightstand went off when you turned the light by the bed off.

Staff was very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I spent a weekend getaway in Brunswick, Saint Simons and Jekyell Islands. The facilities were clean and the housekeeping staff were quite friendly. The location of the hotel is in a good vacinity from the mall and the Islands.
I really enjoyed the hot tub and the workout facilities. A nice pool was available; however I did not have the opportunity to go for a swim.

Room Tip: I don't have a specific recommendation. The room we had was very large with a microwave, fridge...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veronica r
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I chose this hotel because of the consistant reviews. It was VERY clean and the staff was friendly. Marriott has a way of really sprusing up simple things. They have to be making bank on this hotel. The reason I gave this three stars is because I think you can get this type of average experiance at one of the 300 hotels around this one, not a staff issue.
Pricing:
I was highly dissappointed to find out their 'government' discount was $20 more/night then the standard rate online. Definately shop around and compare prices on different sites. I had booked a room at a different hotel but cancelled it and booked this one. I was traveling 10 hours to get there and wasn't able to see the hotels first hand. I was saddened to see the hotel I had booked origionally for half the price of this one was just across the road and offered free breakfast. Looked like a very nice hotel.

Room:
Very clean, felt like home. Bed was comfortable and the size of the room was great. I think the choice in colors is what really made the room. It wasn't AMAZING as far as comfort or cleanliness, Marriott just know's how to dress things up and stuck with warm comfortable colors.

Restaurant:
Save yourself some money and don't waste your time. The set up makes it look like it's really 'fine dining'. It's microwave & toaster oven meals on a fancy plate! The staff is what made the experiance better. The lady behind the counter has to be the nicest person I have ever met! The hours are horrible also!

Pool:
It was a good size and for the most part a very clean pool. They could probably skim the pool a little bit more and for the price I paid for my rooms I don't think I should feel the need to get the net and skim the bugs out of the pool.

Gym:
A joke... small hot room, three tiny machines cramed into a room with a bench and some free weights. Best part about it was how close it was to the pool and had a water cooler with nice cold water because the water in the area taste nasty.

Free Coffee:
It was ALWAYS empty. Thankfully the 'restaurant' would give us some if we told them but they were not open all the time.

Surrounding:
Now you can't hear this in the room but out by the pool is pretty bad, the sound of the highway. If you are staying here for a few days to relax by the pool, not going to happen here.

I walked away feeling like I wasted a lot of money on a average room. If you have the oppertunity to look around at the hotels in the area I would do so before booking the room. The thing that makes this hotel is the staff! Marriott is very lucky to have such a great staff or else I think the pitfalls of this place would shine through even more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Do not stay here. We checked in on Saturday, and the person at the front desk was great, pleasant and informative. That is where the customer service ends.

We put our bags down and proceeded to go visit our family living locally. We arrived back at the hotel at approximately 11pm. We attempted to take showers (myself and 2 children) before going to bed but when we turned on the shower, the water was cold. Thinking we had to let it run a bit, we let it run for about 2 minutes and checked back. Alas, the water was still cold. We called down to the customer service person at the desk and informed her that the water would not get hot. She laughed and said okay. I asked her if someone could come check on the water or if there were water issues and she told me that she was the only one working so it would take a minute for her to check. She called me back and said that she checked another room and the water was hot, which was great for the other room but not so great for us. She did offer to give us another room, but by this time the two kids had fallen asleep, so I declined.

We got up and had breakfast with no issues (23$ by the way). We arrived back at the room to try the showers again, and this time the shower made a very loud ongoing noise, sort of like a foghorn. I have a video of it because no one would ever believe that this is the sound that a shower made. I wish there was a way to upload the video to share with you. Again, I called the front desk- it was about 11am by this time, and was told that there was no maintenance person available. I asked for a manager, and was told that they stepped away from their desk. When I probed that, I was told that the manager was off for the day and the assistant manager would be in later. They sent a housekeeping lady up to check on the shower and I showed her the video. Let me interject that she did not identify herself as a housekeeping manager (which I was later told that she was), and did not even say hello-very nasty attitude. She told me that she would let the maintenance person know about the issue (which would do no good because he was not on site right?).

At this point we have family members on their way to pick us up for our day of activities and proceeded to take cold showers so that we could be ready and not inconvenience everyone. During kid shower #2 the front desk lady shows up at the door with a room key to another room. I am thoroughly disgusted by now and am angry at this point. I asked her for the district managers contact information but have not received it thus far, I am sure that I will not receive it from her.

We are still here, in this crazy place, but I felt compelled to write this review so that no one else is dupped. I am a Marriott rewards member and will certainly be addressing this issue. I never have issues at Marriott properties and I travel all over the world and frequently, so I am sure that this level of non customer service is an anomoly but one that is glaring.

The facilities may be nice but what good are beautiful grounds if the foundation of the hotel, meaning the staff, are horrible, unavailable and lacking the basic customer service skills necessary to keep loyal customers? My expectation is that basic needs such as plumbing would not have issues, and when they do, that there are protocols in place to address the concerns.

You have options in this small town and when I come back I will exercise the other options indeed.

Room Tip: Issues with plumbing
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family