“You are on your own!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mudcat Charlie's

Mudcat Charlie's
Ranked #19 of 191 Restaurants in Brunswick
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. John, USVI
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“You are on your own!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

As a first time visitor to the area I was looking for some good local seafood choices. Someone recommended Mudcat Charlie's and it sounded like a local enough kind of joint. The waitress was absolutely gorgeous, could certainly be a model and was also generally ignorant about the menu. I asked her what the house specialty was. What was the one dish I would have to have if I was only ever able to eat there once in my lifetime? She said, "People say the steaks are good....and the seafood." Wow. So, I guess the pork and chicken are out but otherwise everything is "the best thing" they have.

I decided (on my own) to have the stuffed soft shell crab and it was delicious. Gator appetizer was also good. The hush puppies were a little dry. The waitress remained gorgeous throughout my entire meal. The 5 stars for atmosphere are mostly for her but the 2 stars for service was because she had no idea what was coming out of that kitchen.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank LoveCityResident

South Carolina
“Enjoyed the setting...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Out in the middle of nowhere sits Charlies restaurant/marina.

The crab stew is a must try.
The shrimp poboy was also delicious.
The co-worker had the bone in catfish which he said was great.
We both left full and ready for a cat nap :-)
Our dinner experience was quiet and peaceful overlooking the water.

• Visited August 2013
Savannah, Georgia
“A big difference”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had visited this estabishment a year ago and found it delightfully good, no complaints on anything. A year went by and I don't know what happened but the cook must not have had any experience at cooking....the server was fine but the food was poor quality.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Central Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“wait too long for overpriced food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I visited this place on a Thursday at 7pm, but we still waited well over an hour for our food. Server was friendly but not very knowledgeable about the menu or seafood in general. The fried mushrooms were well seasoned and plentiful. I ordered the small size portion of fried oysters ($13.95), and it was small indeed, both the portion and the oysters themselves. Not too greasy but no flavor. The sweet potato fries were OK and I gave the cheese grits to my companion, who said it was the best part of the meal.

My companion ordered 1/2 lb boiled shrimp. They were flavorless, boiled in plain water and dusted with seasoning after.

Everything was served in disposable items, which seemed odd for the prices on the menu.
Our salt shaker was empty, and I finally asked the next table for theirs. They laughed and said one of them had gone looking for the tea pitchers and refilled his own drink after waiting too long. The long wait and poor food were experienced by more than just our table.

I think this place may have been good at one time and is now filling their tables based on previous reputation.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jennifer T
Houston, Texas
“Nothing fancy, just good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Great little spot if you're passing through town looking for some local flavor. Hush puppies, crab soup, fish sandwiches really tasty. Crab cakes a little heavy on the breading. Servers friendly and attentive.

• Visited July 2013