“conviently located”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Winston Salem
“conviently located”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Captain Joes has a large variety of food to choose from. Broiled and fried seafood, steak and crablegs. There is also a good salad bar if hard fried seafood isn't your thing. There is a seafood platter, which I had, that has oysters, shrimp, scallops, fries and fish. It was quite good, not over cooked nor was it saturated with grease. The portions are nice size so it's a good thing to order if you are quite hungry. It's a bit pricey but it was good. What I didn't like was the water/ice that was in my drink. It had a funny taste to it and it made even a strong coca cola taste funny. Overall, it was okay.

Visited April 2013

Harrison, Michigan
“Great seafood!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Was greeted immediately and seated promptly. There was three people in our party and the waitress was exceptional! Between us we had "the catch of the day" (Grouper) and grilled chicken. It was all superb! The very large salad bar offered just about everything as well as two kinds is soup. The bar comes at no additional cost with every meal. Alcoholic beverages are also available. Very well pleased!

Holden, Massachusetts
“A LOT of food but good choices”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

You may have to be rolled out of the restaurant when you finish eating here but it will be your own fault. The menu offers choices of broiled, grilled or fried seafoods and different size meals so you can determine what you eat. Meals come with a salad & soup bar which was quite large, of good quality and very well supplied. (We were among the last of the diners but the salad bar was being replenished as we ate, a rarity in restaurants which leave you dregs if you get there close to their closing time.) I had their speciality of deviled crab - 2 servings of crab with vegetables, which also came with hush puppies which I love. The crab was a bit dry even with squeezed lemon but tasty. My husband got the small serving of lightly fried oysters (which were in season) and fried onion rings. The small serving was huge and he couldn't finish it! Along with the hush pupplies, it was too much fried food but that was his choice. He said the oysters were terrific - non-gritty and tender.

The restaurant is just off of I-95 so easy to get to. Service was good. I would recommend Captain Joe's (which was recommended by the hotel desk clerk.)

Visited February 2013
New York
“Amazing salad bar”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stopped for the night at the Comfort Inn and spotted Captain Joe's Sea Food right next door. We really didn't want to get back into the car, so we gave it a try. The outside isn't anything special, but it didn't make us run away either. The hostess greeted us warmly as soon as we walked in and led us to a big booth. The salad bar is nearby and has a wide assortment of items. They claim to have 60 items on the soup, salad, and dessert bar. Two soups were available. My husband tried the seafood chowder which, surprisingly for a seafood restaurant, didn't have much in it. The salad bar though was amazing. I would have been happy with just having that. I ordered broiled tilapia (for $15.45) and was served two big pieces. It was tasty, but much more than I could eat. My husband ordered the seafood platter for $23.25. He too had more than he could eat. His platter came with fried shrimp, deviled crab, oysters, clam strips, and fresh fish. You could add scallops for an additional $2. They also serve a seafood platter for 2 with the same items (for $35.25). All dinners include the salad bar, which has a dessert bar too.

If you don't want seafood, they serve steak and chicken. They also have a "small appetites" section on the menu. Next time I'll go in that direction. As for beverages, they serve beer and wine, soft drinks, milk, coffee, tea, etc.

Overall, this was a pretty good meal.

• Visited February 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Unexpectedly wonderful salad bar”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I expected great seafood, and wasn't disappointed. What I didn't expect was the excellent and fresh salad bar, complete with rolls and homemade soups, that came with my meal. They had several salads on the bar, and the carrot raisin was outstanding. Plus the soup was so yummy. My seafood plate was also very tasty, was fresh seafood and a good value. The service was also great, too. The only thing I'd change is that I would have ordered the "petite" portion because I couldn't finish my meal! So glad we stopped for dinner there.

• Visited February 2013