“Take-no-prisoners BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
DeLand, FL
“Take-no-prisoners BBQ”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The utensils are plastic. The bowls are Styrofoam, and you eat out of a Styrofoam clamshell. This is not about style. This is about barbecue, and it is very good barbecue--very, very, good. As the very first reviewer wrote: this pork don't need no sauce.

We were coming back from Washington D.C. and a little off our schedule, meaning we'd have to find lunch in Brunswick. TripAdvisor listed Gary's and since we'd not had any barbecue on the trip, I was of the opinion that we ought to see what was happening at Gary Lee's.

What was happening at Gary Lee's was, in my wife's words, "epic." (I would have quoted myself, but she said it first.) My son ordered smoked sausage and ribs, I ordered a half chicken with pork ribs and barbcue beans, and my wife got a pork sandwich. I got to taste everything but the sausage--my son kind of had a "take-no-prisoners" thing of his own going.

The chicken was flawless. The smoke was there, the seasoning complemented the smoke, and the white and dark meats were tender. Another reviewer seemed disappointed that the pork rib meat didn't just slide off the bone when you stared at it funny, but I had no problem with it. The proper doneness is when the meat releases easily from the bone, not if it falls off with just a wiggle. (I am a carnivore. Tearing meat off a bone with my teeth is fun. There is no point in over-thinking barbecue when you can just eat, right?) As with the chicken, the seasoning was perfect, and I kept forgetting that I had sauce. Neither meat needed sauce. The sauce--not too sweet, not too piquant--didn't take anything away from the meats, to be sure. It just wasn't necessary for complete enjoyment of the meats.

The barbecue beans were just as I like them. Too many cooks make them sweet, rather than savory, and I'm not a fan of sweet barbecue beans. These had just enough meat, and plenty of flavor. I was not able to sample the potato salad--so I'll get it next time. There are three prepared sides: barbecue beans, potato salad, and Brunswick stew (also on my list for next time). That's why I say Gary Lee's is "take no prisoners" barbecue--other places add collards, green beans, corn bread, sweet potatoes, and everything short of rhubarb pie, to the extent that you think maybe barbecue is their sideline, not their business. In Gary Lee's Market, the business is barbecue.

The barbecue was so good, I'm considering making an annual pilgrimage to Gary Lee's Market. We travel up I-95 during most of our summer trips, and I'm going to make an effort to be near Brunswick around meal time.

• Visited July 2014
7 Thank Mercurian

Brunswick, Georgia
“Wow I can't believe how good this is!”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I have passed right by this place for years and have never stopped. After reading the reviews in TA and Yelp, I decided to try it for lunch today. I had a pork sandwich and ribs. The sandwich was huge and was very good but the ribs were phenominal - I ate them dry, the flavor was so good. Its a bit of a dive, but was clean and the staff was friendly.

2 Thank Bill B
Georgia
“Couldn't be better!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Great little "dive" super BBQ, Chicken and Ribs. honestly the BEST wings I have ever had - love that Butt Rub.

• Visited April 2014
Hagerstown
“Unique place with yummy bbq”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews we stopped for dinner while traveling through the area. The place is nothing to look at and is very simple but that is what made it so unique. The staff was friendly and it was obviously a place locals headed for fresh meats or cooked meals. We tried the smoked wings, bbq pulled pork, smoked bbq chicken and potato salad. All were fresh tasting and flavorful. We were glad we stopped!

2 Thank dink1012
Langhorne, Pennsylvania
“Awesome”
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Awesome chicken and brisket. Easy to find and staff was friendly. I would definitely recommend this place to anybody visiting the area.

1 Thank 10cummins