“Fine for what it is, but...........”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brunswick North
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Brunswick
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We spent the night at this hotel - the perfect stopping place to call it a day on our way down to FL. We based our decision to stay here on the reviews we read in Tripadvisor as well as the description of the amenities on the hotel's website. The hotel was clean, the room and bathroom very clean and the breakfast bar adequate. The coffee was very good by the way. The hotel staff was friendly and the woman tending the breakfast area was particularly friendly and helpful. One amenity that I personally like is a fitness center. This hotel, on it's website said there was a 24 hour fitness center. Not even close. Calling the 3 pieces of old, decrepit machines in a tiny little room, with the door propped open and actually adjoining our room, a fitness center redefines the term. It's like saying a canoe is just like the Queen Mary ocean liner. I had to go back downstairs to get the safety key to operate the saddest looking treadmill I've ever seen (with a broken handle) and was told that the room closed a 9:00. When I said the website said it was open 24 hours, the desk clerk let me have the safety key. I returned it a few minutes later as the treadmill was awful.

What disturbed me most about this place was the subterfuge in the pricing of the room. Although the ultimate cost was reasonable, the way it was reached was in my opinion deceptive and it was perpetrated on other guests coming in for the night. We got one of those coupon books at the GA visitor center. The price advertised was $44.99. However, when checking in we were told that there was an additional $9 fee for a second adult! Second adult?? Most people there were couples. The couple checking in before us were amazed as well - never heard of that. The clerk said it was in the "fine print" on the coupon - just what tired travelers look for. Then, to add insult to injury, the clerk informed us that since there were no more single bed rooms available, we would have to pay an additional $5 for a room with 2 beds. Most hotels have rooms with either one king size bed or 2 queens, and never, never did we have to pay more for either configuration.

So, buyers beware. Unless you make reservations in advance and for a single bed, you're in for a surprise. Could be the $9 surcharge is only for coupon users, but the advertised rate is a joke.

Location is excellent - near many restaurants, shopping and right near I95.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Travelinprincess1, Director of Sales at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brunswick North, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review about your stay. Next time call us in advance. We have great rates with no strings attached. By simply calling the hotel directly, you will get a price match guarantee, earn Wyndham Rewards Points, and have a flexible cancellation policy. Our fitness center will have all new equipment by the end of this month. Next time, be sure to enjoy our already popular Peaches every morning.

Hope to see you soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have just booked my reservation with April who works at this property. She was wonderful and helped me a great deal. Without her I could have never done it. The Wyndham people had difficulty for some reason making the reservation but to their credit called me back and told me the property would call me directly......that is where April came in. She was great !.....it was important to me as it was part of my 26 hour travel and I needed to be assured I had the reservation.....which I am now confident that I do, thanks to her. She is certainly an asset to this hotel chain and to the owners !

Len C

1  Thank Len C
Travelinprincess1, Director of Sales at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brunswick North, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Great to hear that April treated you above your expectations. This is exactly how we treat all guests. It was our pleasure for the opportunity to serve your lodging needs at our Microtel by Wyndham - Brunswick North, GA location. In the future, we hope you bring your friends and family.

See you next time!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on 1/14 traveling through. We got a very decent rate so we were expecting a shabby hotel (Absolutely not!) Our check in was quick and hassle free. We were thrilled that the hotel served HOT breakfast. The lady keeping up with breakfast was as sweet as could be, asking how our stay was and taking our plates when we were through eating. I believe she was still in training but did a wonderful job. The front desk lady was helping her and running the front desk! I would suggest this hotel to anyone! We were very pleased and will be staying again!

1  Thank Dana L
Travelinprincess1, Director of Sales at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brunswick North, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Happy Guest,

Here at the Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham we strive to provide true "Southern Hospitality". Our rates are low due to the value we like to provide all our guests. Honestly, we want you to recommend us to your friends and family. Your review is basically an announcement to the WORLD. Your review was very appreciated by all the hard working staff members that enjoy providing more than our guests expect. In addition to the 25 Item Hot breakfast Buffet with our already popular "GA Peaches", our hotel offers Fresh Baked Cookies and Nacho's every night.

See You Soon!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham
Travelinprincess1, Director of Sales at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brunswick North, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was my first stay at a Microtel. Like many reviewers, I was looking for an inexpensive place on the trek down I-95. Unlike what I did in the past, I pre-booked the stay online and ahead of the trip and got better rates than calling the day of travel. Looking at other TripAdvisor reviews pushed me into this Microtel. Front desk staff was pleasant but seemed overwhelmed by many inquiring travelers.

The room was rather large for a budget hotel or at least it seemed that way. The room was clean with modern decor and nice linens. My room had two queen beds which is unusual for a value hotel. To help the traveler, the room offers a decent sized fridge and a microwave oven. The tube television was on top of the closet to save space. That was the main source of entertainment since the Microtel WiFi is dial-up like. I even called tech support to assist but the WiFi signal was intermittent and so slow I gave up. They need to fix this. Oh, if you have AT&T for cell service, the signal is horrible going between no signal and EDGE speeds.

Breakfast is continental style in the dining area near the front desk. I was surprised to see the selection. For example, self-made waffles, sausage patties and eggs were not what I was expecting. I thought they'd have muffins and coffee and that would be the end of it. So I was t happy that the breakfast was decent. You don't have to run to a McDonalds or Burger King - save that money. On checkout the staff was peppy and asked me how my stay was. He seemed genuine.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Travelinprincess1, Director of Sales at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Brunswick North, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear Happy Guest, Your review made me blush. These honest & kind words make our staff feel appreciated. All the hard work that goes into providing every guest our famous "Southern Hospitality" is now open for people to see Worldwide on Tripadvisor.com. What a great way to start our New Year off!!! Thanks A Million!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Looking for just a basic place off of I-95 for the night on our travels south. Was really wonderful. Worth every penny. Clean was important to me and this place was really great. So much more than I'm used to for a roadside hotel/motel. Very clean, rooms were really nice the area around the hotel was great. Took my dog for walks and it was nicely laid out. For a roadside hotel I would rate this a 10. Would definitely stay here again. Is it a 5 star hotel, no. But it is so worth every penny for what it is. Includes free breakfast, wasn't impressed but again, for what I was paying, it was fine. I will def make sure to stay here every time i am on 95 for a long trip.