“Good overnight, but....”

Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Brunswick
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The breakfast was a major bust! One of the things that makes the Comfort Suites a good value (at least to me), is the above average "free" breakfast that is usually included. For a family trip with 3 or 4 people, it is a great value when factoring in the breakfast, but, for this location, we were quite a bit disappointed ( as well as 25+ other folks that were at/near the breakfast counter).

Long review short, the check in was nice and quick, the room was clean and quiet, and the bed was decent.

The breakfast was moderate to poor, with part of the trouble being the crowd of people and not having enough staff or product to keep availability up. The small dishes of Eggs and Sausage ran out after every 2 or 3 people, and were not quickly replaced, the 2 waffle makers (the highlight of a comfort suites breakfast in my opinion) were unplugged and not available, with an explanation of "No batter" given (this had quite a few folks shaking heads and walking away). The fruit selection was the saddest display I've seen at a breakfast station yet, which had my daughter asking "what happened to the apples daddy?".

So, in short I guess the review would be a 3.5 if I could give it, but due to the disappointment of the breakfast and seeing the entire crowd disappointed as well, I rounded down to a 3.

Room Tip: 4th floor room we were in was very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Matt M
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hi Matt M.,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review online.

I'm sorry you did not have a good experience with us and did not enjoy the breakfast. I know when everyone comes down at once time the breakfast room does get very crowded.

We will try to work on making sure things are restocked faster. I know there was one morning when there was a problem with the waffle makers so I'm sorry nobody explained this to you and it was on the day you were here.

Again, I'm very sorry about your experience and hope you will give us another try.

Mark Daniel O'Quinn, GM

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived in the evening after a day of travel. Access is very easy off the interstate. Bedding was comfortable . The room is nicely layed out and it is always great to have a small refrigerator in the room. The lady at the front desk was also very friendly. There is a very small pool but we did not use it. Breakfast was average hotel fare- nothing to get excited about. I am rating this average for the following reasons--- Toilet paper holder fell off the wall as soon as we touched it. The Bathroom sink stop did not work, we had to pull it completely out to drain the water..ugh!. Could not get the desk phone to work. The safe did not work. We were in for the night when we noticed these issues, and did not call the front desk at night. Most of these are minor fixes and I am surprised that they went unattended to, as they are obvious. It makes you wonder how many other things are slipping by. (Note when leaving the lady at the desk was appreciative that we mentioned the above.)

2  Thank CAT_AJM

Thanks, CAT_AJM, for taking the time to give us a review online.

I'm glad that you liked most things about tho hotel. I'm also very sorry you had the maintenance issues. I will speak with the maintenance and housekeeping teams so that we can hopefully avoid issues like this in the future!

I do hope you will stay with us again in the future but I'm very sorry everything didn't go better while you were here!

Mark Daniel O'Quinn, GM
Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stay at Comfort Suite Hotels because they all have microwave ovens and refrigerators. This hotel is way above average because the rooms are large, clean and very comfortable. Because my stay was overnight I did not have much time to interact with the staff. However, I found the front desk personnel to be pleasant and polite.

1  Thank Paul S
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Paul S: Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that your stay with us was a great experience. Our staff is also outstanding and I hope that when you return to stay with us that you have an opportunity to interact with them. We do maintain our hotel to the highest of standards.
We do hope that you will come and stay with us again when traveling this way.

Cordially,
Cheryl Prosser

Reviewed December 7, 2013

My husband and I previously enjoyed staying overnight at this motel when traveling from FL to NC. This visit did not disappoint. Our king bed room was large and very clean. Our room and the entire property seemed well maintained. Check in/check out staff were pleasant. Being within a short walk to a Millhouse restaurant is a real plus. Complimentary breakfast offered hot and cold selections and some fresh fruit.

2  Thank Eileen O

Eileen O: Thank you for your review of our hotel. We do strive for Excellence. We are very happy that your stay with us was everything you would have expected and more. On behalf of my staff and myself, thank you for staying with us, and we invite you to come and stay with us again in the future.

Cordially,
Cheryl Prosser

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Room, pool and hot breakfast were excellent. The staff ignored us. No customer consciousness whatsoever. No "good morning", "enjoy your stay?" or "good bye!" What could be more important in the front lobby than those making it allg possible.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank teacherbev
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Hi teacherbev,

First, let me tell you that I am VERY SORRY you had this experience at my hotel!

I have sent you a private message on TripAdvisor because I would like to talk to you in more detail to find out a little more about your stay. I will certainly speak with my team about this because this is not a normal experience a guest of the Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway would have.

I am, however, glad that you liked the features of the hotel. I'm just really, really sorry the nice features of the hotel did not extend over to the team!

I do hope you will try staying with us again but I am very sorry for the experience you had!

Mark Daniel O'Quinn,

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

No complaints. Clean and well kept rooms, friendly and professional staff at this Choice property conveniently located off 95.
Previous negative reviews frankly do not offer an accurate portrait.certainly not a resort property but worth the price and you'll find no issues.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank travelinman47

Hi travelinman47,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel! We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and found the rooms to be friendly and the staff professional!

Please tell your family and friends about us if they will be traveling in our area. We would love to have them stay with us!

Again, thank you for your review and kind comments!

Mark Daniel O'Quinn,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

According to the very accomodating desk clerk, this comfort suites hotel is only a few years old. As a true road-warrior, I can see that the hotel is on the road to neglect. There are little dust pockets, "lint" (I hope!), all over the towels, beds, fabric sofas abd chairs. The halls and elevators should be vacuumed more frequently. The air conditioner in the gym is broken and the fitness equipment has not been cleaned in a long time.
To me, cleanliness and safety are the most important crteria, in this level of hotel. Usually, housekeeping issues can be solved by the employment of motivated workers. This is hard work! Nothing motivates more than financial incentive (a decent wage) and hands-on involvement and feedback by the bosses.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Gingeete
CS-Golden_Isles-GM, General Manager at Comfort Suites Golden Isles Gateway Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Hi Gingeete,

First I want to thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. Secondly, I would like to sincerely apologize for the fact that we did not live up to our standards, or yours! I am truly sorry for the experience you had and I personally promise you I, along with my team, will work hard to solve the problems!

Mark Daniel O'Quinn