“Great escape!”

Chateau Elan Winery And Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Braselton
Reviewed January 22, 2013

To help me escape a milestone birthday, my family sent me to Chateau Elan for a weekend celebration. My husband & I stayed in Room S07 on the ground floor of the Spa. The luxurious accommodations were warm & inviting. The king size bed was very comfortable. Our room was at the end of the hall & had a spectacular view of the lake & gazebo. The staff was very friendly & helpful. Special thanks to Wendy, Charles, Erika, Carrielle & Towanda for outstanding service! Shuttle service was provided to the Inn, golf courses and restaurants on the property. My husband enjoyed golfing while I enjoyed a hot stone pedicure and also a massage. Breakfast & lunch at Fleur-de-Lis were scrumptious (& don't forget dessert)! We enjoyed dinner at L'Auberge (live music after 9 pm on Saturdays) & Fish & Chips at Paddy's Irish Pub. I didn't escape my birthday, but what an awesome way to try!!

Room Tip: Corner room has more windows.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,605)

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We went to Chateau Elan for a couples escape while our kids were visiting relatives. Out visit was mid-week between Christmas and New Year's Eve, figuring that the place would be quiet (it was) and we'd see the best of Chateau Elan (I hope not).

Room: clean with a comfortable bed; no real frills but nice.

Spa: very good massage therapists; facials etc were good but as usual the focus is on upselling the products. Disappointment was cleanliness and upkeep: rusted light fixtures; constant trash and hairballs on floor of women's locker room; decor was closer to dentist waiting room than luxurious spa; snacks while waiting for services were as follows: apples, oranges, peanut snack mix, and yogurt-covered pretzels (just seemed a little cheesy for high-end spa).

Service: generally quite good. Really, really nice people working there. You do get a taste of southern hospitality done right.

Wine: We didn't bother this time, having learned our lesson several years ago about how mediocre the wine is. If you like peach muscadine, you might like this place for its winery. If you like a good cab...don't try it.

Dining: Real disappointment. Breakfast was tasty both days but breakfast is hard to mess up; what wasn't so good was that the staff seemed incapable of keeping breakfast items stocked. Out of all breads both days; fruit was picked-over; etc. Dinner was the real problem though. First night we just wanted a quick bite and went to Paddy's - most of it was clearly frozen food - think Applebee's without the selection and you'll get the picture. Don't go expecting a great beer selection, either - mostly major breweries. Second night we decided at the last minute to try their higher-end restaurant, Le Clois. Went by the front desk of the hotel to ask about reservations and was informed that Le Clos had tons of availability and we could walk over right then. Front desk clerk should have mentioned the dress code to us: I was wearing high-end jeans, nice loafers, nice button-down shirt. Upon arriving at Le Clos, the maitre 'd very nicely turned us away based on the dress code (no jeans). The place, mind you, was nearly empty. A little anachronistic, considering that the same outfit wouldn't even be given a second look at nearly any restaurant in Atlanta. Chateau management, this isn't a high-end, exclusive golf club - you're fooling yourself if you think you're that good. Rather than changing, we went to the resort's main restaurant, Versailles to dine: again found an unimaginative menu, poorly-executed; my wife sent her entree back and I didn't eat half of mine. We ended up enjoying far more the cheeses, hummus and crackers we brought with us.

Final disappointment: we were sent an email survey a few days after our trip. We provided substantially the same feedback as above and figured that we'd hear at least a follow-up question or comment from management. It's been nearly a month with radio silence. Apparently they're doing well enough with wedding traffic and first-time visitors that they don't care about negative responses from someone who might actually make a return trip were the experience worthwhile.

If you're looking for a good north Georgia spa getaway, an alternative suggestion would be Barnsley Gardens. It's a little harder to find, but a real treat without the delusions of grandeur.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank TheSchanks
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Spent a weekend enjoying good food, wine, and pleasant surroundings. Experienced three restaurants and two cooking experiences - all were excellent. The wine tour and tasting was a pleasure. Nice romantic getaway!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

After several years of enduring interstate motels in Georgia en route to Florida, I had had enough and found Chateau Elan. What a pleasure it was to stay at such an upscale place. Very spacious accommodations in the 2-bedroom villa. Overall maintenance on the property was excellent,
and the staff was commendable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I always enjoy my stay at Chateau Elan. The staff is very friendly and helpful everytime I visit. The resturaunts are always on point with the food service and the prices are fair. I always enjoy my room,the entaintainment in all locations, the service from the front to the back and the feeling I get while staying there. If your are looking for a great little getaway this is it!

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank melvin b
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We took advantage of their $149 Saison Festive for a very nice/clean room that included breakfast buffet the next morning and a bottle of wine. We were traveling with family and the hotel accommodated our requested for adjoining rooms. We had their Christmas buffet and likw any buffet, there were some items we didn't like but for the most part, very good! Our stay was short, but we will go back to try the spa and golf. Very nice property and we definitely enjoyed the stay and can recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I took our family to the Chateau Elan resort to stay a couple of nights and to enjoy the Thanksgiving buffet. After enjoying a great buffet and a fun evening in the lounge and kicking back with our kids I felt terribly ill. I am a paraplegic and I had a blood clot (not related at all to the buffet) and had to be rushed to the hospital by ambulance at 5 am.

The hotel GM sprang into action and really helped my wife and twin 10 year old daughters stay calm and prepare for 2 extra nights at the hotel. The GM bent over backward to take care of my family while I was in the hospital dealing with the blood clot and pneumonia.

From check in to checkout everyone was tremendously kind and to a person delivered 5 Star service normally reserved for the finest high end hotels in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

I cannot give this resort enough praise nor thanks worthy of such a slick running property!

Room Tip: Handicapped rooms require a removal of top mattress as it is too high to transfer..staff was happy t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braselton
Hampton Inn & Suites Braselton
#2 of 4 in Dawsonville
Jameson Inn Winder
Jameson Inn Winder
#1 of 2 in Winder

Been to Chateau Elan Winery And Resort? Share your experiences!