“Extremely dissappointed!!!”

The Spa at Chateau Elan
Ranked #2 of 8 things to do in Braselton
More attraction details
Owner description: Located less than one hour from downtown Atlanta, this is one of Georgia's most popular wineries and is also a luxury resort.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Extremely dissappointed!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2005

My husband and I live in the Atlanta area and decided to get away for a relaxing weekend with some of our friends. Since our stay was going to be a short one we decided to go all out and book a Spa Suite. We never even considered we would have anything but a great experience. Upon arrival everything was great. We were quite early so we valeted the car and let the registration desk at the spa know we were there. Our room wasn't quite ready, which was to be expected due to our early arrival, so we headed for the pool where we had a nice time. Later that afternoon we formally checked-in and headed for the Zimbabwe Suite. We were excited to see what awaited us in the african themed room. As we walked down the hallway headed for the suite we couldn't help but notice the many stains in the carpet and the dirt on the walls. Oh well, we thought, a little wear and tear is to be expected in most places. As we walked into our room there was a silence between us both. For $330.00 a night we were shocked! The floors were dirty and badly stained. The comforter and pillow shams were really old and beginning to fall apart. And the decor was, for lack of a better word, tacky. The room was old and not very well taken care of. All the artificial plants and trees looked as if they had not been dusted in years. There were tears in the wallpaper and the bathroom tub was cracked. I could go on but you get the picture. Also let me just clarify that we are not the picky type. We auctually are extremely tolerent. We usually would rather just deal with a situation than complain. However, this was something we just couldn't accept. The following morning we decided to move to the Inn. After all our friends standard room there was much nicer and cleaner than ours and for less than half the price. The only room available was a suite at the Inn which we were fine with. So we checked out of the Spa and awaited at the pool for our new room to be ready. Five and a half hours later we finally got our keys. That was OK because we were enjoying ourselves at the pool. Once getting to the new suite at the Inn we were looking forward to a hot shower and an hour power nap before dinner. Everything was fine until we turned down the sheets. Very obvious and big crusty white stains were all over the sheets. Maybe housekeeping overloaded the washer and they didn't quite get clean. Who knows? In any case I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I was completely grossed out and ready to just pack my bags and head home. To make a long story short we stayed to be with our friends, had housekeeping clean the sheets and made the management aware of our problems and concerns.

Bottom line: Chateau Elan advertises to be a luxurious resort. Unfortunally they are missing the mark by a long shot. There is just NO attention to detail. Half the staff we encountered were unpleasant and unprofessional. Some of the food was great while some was not so great. The spa itself needs much updating. Come on, it is just not acceptable to give spa guests water in a cone shaped paper cup after a massage. At least not in a luxury resort. The grounds are pretty and the golf greens are great. So if you live in the Atlanta only go there to play golf for the day. If you live out-of-town or out-of-state don't bother. Trust me you will have a much better experience somewhere else.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2005

Annniversary trip - stayed one night after going to LeMans all day. Nice greeting and check-in. Parking is convenient to entrance, winery and Irish Pub. Rooms were very nice with large bathtub & shower and 2 terry robes for relaxing. The bedding is exceptional, a luxury. Our view was nice (the par 3 golf course) but no balcony. Ate at the Pub which was not fancy but had music playing & friendly servers and management; prices were definitely reasonable. Then went to Lounge inside where there was music, pool tables, drinks, etc. The only problem was the smoke (cigars mostly). At some point someone realized it was our anniversary and we had a card slipped under our door - nice touch. Our calls requesting other items were handled promptly and check-out was no problem. Morning buffet was pricey @ $17 each so skipped that. All in all a very nice experience.

4 Thank camper21
Valparaiso, Fl
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Met expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2005

Chateau Élan is a beautiful property. At times their multi purpose becomes a little annoying to those who are just there to spend a few days. (They are a living community as well).
My wife and I spent four days there during New Year’s. They did an above average job accommodating the hundreds of folks who chose to welcome the New Year there. They were well organized, served in fair time and the food was exceptional considering it was mass produced. Entertainment was as good as could be expected.
I saw some complaints in the previous reviews about repeating requests to staff and staff’s camaraderie being less than professional. Well, they probably didn't understand. For most English is their second language. A large percentage of their staff is foreign and is here on a work visa. They all wear name tags with their names and where they are from. My wife and I enjoyed meeting staff from many parts of the world and many parts of our country.
We enjoyed several of the restaurants, thought food was on par for the Atlanta area and found the Irish pub fun and very northern European.
Room was roomy and comfortable, mattresses and linens were above average. Bathroom very spacious. Grounds very well kept. Winery tour very enjoyable (purchased a case). The Penoz race track will have us coming back for the Audi experience (yes you get to use the track). We visited but did not use the spa, based on prices did not think would get money’s worth and opted to spend same amount at an Aveda salon in Atlanta. The exercise facilities and the indoor resistance pool were clean up kept and enjoyable.

5 Thank ValpJ
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not So Great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2005

I had heard great things about Chateau Elan, so I booked the introductory spa package for myself and my sister. At $859, it was absolutely not worth it. Check-in was ok. The room was nice. I paid $60 for a celebration package, which included a "Congratulations" sign on our room's door, some streamers on the lamp shades, some balloons, a card and 2 desserts. I had specifically stated that it was for my sister's birthday. It wasn't worth $60. The massages and facials were great. The food was good. Some of the staff acted in an unprofessional manner, chatting with their co-workers and talking negatively about other staff. The paperwork we received at check-in said that Trivia would be going on in the Irish Pub, but it had been cancelled. There was also a mix-up with the facials. When I received my itinerary in the mail, the facial for me was named something different than the facial for my sister. I called about this and was told that the two were the same thing. I got a 75-minute facial and my sister got a 45-minute facial. Doesn't sound like the same thing to me. Check-out was fine, but when we asked to have someone bring the car around, the lady looked at me like she didn't understand English or something. When I repeated it, nice and slow, she understood what I needed and took care of it. Oh, I forgot, the heat in our room went out during the night, so we froze. All in all, I am very disappointed in my visit to Chateau Elan.

5 Thank Yvette325
Chattanooga, Tennessee
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 463 helpful votes
“Not ready for prime time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2004

Chateau Elan tries to be big time, but they haven't quite achieved it. The little things just aren't there. From check-in to check-out, they're not there. Efficiency by valet and at check in, the look of the rooms, the food -- not there. The Irish place was pretty darn good. Food in the hotel was not that good. It is a very good resort, but don't expect a Ritz-Carlton. Spa is just so-so. Wife was disappointed with her pedicure.

7 Thank BillVol