“Will not be going back. Terrible!!!”

The Spa at Chateau Elan
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Braselton
More attraction details
Owner description: Located less than one hour from downtown Atlanta, this is one of Georgia's most popular wineries and is also a luxury resort.
Reviewed June 8, 2009

Went to the spa. They automatically added 20% for gratuity and will not give you the opportunity to adjust it no matter how horrible the service was. Then to top it all off THEY CHARGE YOU TAX ON THE GRATUITY!!!!!! Yes - tax on the gratuity. Ridiculous. Will never go back. Such a rip off.

5  Thank cdw19

Reviewed May 7, 2009

I spent a weekend there with some friends. The hotel itself is nice but the spa is beyond awful, especially for the prices they charge. You pay for your service upfront and they automatically add a mandatory generous tip for their staff. So if you do not enjoy your service, you still pay a 20% tip. The Grove Park Inn, not too far away, is comparable in pricing and also receivs the tip for the service upfront. However, I am always blown away by the experience at the Grove Park Inn which is absolutely fantastic and so the "pre-tipping" doesn't bother me. It is worth every penny. At the spa at Chateau Elan, it is highway robbery. The facility is outdated. The couches and chairs are worn out. The artwork is very dated. They left a huge used/soiled towel bin in the main waiting area. My massage was nothing to write about. Actually, the therapist tried to talk me into a $35 "add-on" for some product to apply to my under eye area which was supposedly dehydrated. For a $150 massage, they ought to apply whatever that is for free! I left the minute the treatment was over because I did not want to linger in the shabby spa. My day span at home is much better. Do not go there. You will be disappointed.

9  Thank hummingbird77
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I was so excited for our weekend trip away to Chateau Elan. It was a surprise trip for my boyfriend for his birthday. I arranged for him to have a day off work so we could leave early. Our room was as we requested and it was clean however the bed was extremely uncomfortable as well as the room temperature. Neither of us were able to sleep the first night. The second day we spent at the spa. The services I received were ok however his services were not as pleasant. The spa did not feel comfortable and cozy. It was not relaxing. It was more of an assembly line feeling. Like we were cattle. It was not as I imagined. The second night was better than the first however we woke up with tight muscles and aches. Ironic that we spend all day at a spa and left feeling like we need massages. I was quite excited to leave only after 2 nights.

I was very disappointed and to this day I think of the many things I could have done for him (including other places I wish I had selected) for his birthday that I feel would have been better for both of us.

3  Thank happytravelers77
Reviewed December 17, 2008

If you are a seasoned spa resort goer, keep in mind that Georgia is not known for luxury resorts and spas.

As a local yokel who drives in from the bustling city for some peace and quiet on the weekend, Elan is a pleasant and peaceful escape. Walking the nature trail is a serene renewal of spirit winding around the golf course and through quiet, luxurious neighborhoods by babbling brooks and ending in the spacious vineyards. What a lovely place to behold seasonal beauty of earth and sky.

I had a massage there. The loud air conditioning unit popping on and off took away from the experience. The massage therapist was nice, but she didn't seem "into it," so the massage didn't "take me away."

The spa facilities for a day is a nice treat, just using the steam, sauna, whirlpool, quiet room for $35. The spa restaurant has a lovely view of the lake and golf course through the large windows.

The spa restaurant food is good and satisfies, but it is by no means five-star quality. I ordered poached pears for a dessert, and it was about two tablespoons of diced pears. Nothing very substantial. But the dining experience has always been very pleasant for me.

The staff has always been very accommodating and pleasant when I go. No complaints there.

The one thing that really drives me away, though, is the sheer lack of etiquette among the guests, and at times, the employees. For example, the quiet room is a place to lay still and be quiet after a service listening to soothing music. But the peace and quiet is disrupted with 1) an open door to the quiet room that *must* be kept open, not sure why, and 2) guests waiting outside the room cackling and speaking loudly. Voices should be kept down low. It's not a gym. People are here to relax.

Furthermore, there is a "no cellphone" policy that is laughably never reinforced. People go in the locker room and flip open their cellphones like a smoker sneaking a cig when trying to quit. I find others' pretentiously loud and frivolous conversations to be disconcerting to the atmosphere of the spa. Guests should have to turn in their cell phone at the check-in desk, haha.

One weekend, some bridesmaids walked around with wine glasses in the locker room after drinking a few glasses of wine. Not only did voices become louder and boisterous, a glass broke on the floor. Even the YMCA and beaches have a "no glass containers" policy.

Would I go back? Only on a weekend when the crowds are very thin.

3  Thank FlyOnTheWall_7
Reviewed October 26, 2008

We spent the weekend at Chateau Elan and LOVED it. We were so impressed. I had read some mixed reviews on this site and wasn't sure what to expect. Everything exceeded my expectations. The spa was amazing, food was great, room really nice, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. It is so pretty there. We did one of the package deals and it is very fairly priced, especially compared to other spa resorts. Dinner was in Versailles--we did the buffet, plenty to choose from. Breakfast buffet was yummy as well.
Highly recommend this place.

2  Thank lovesummer_8