“If you think staying in Thamel and trekking to Everest Base Camp is all Nepal has to offer - Think Again”
Review of Homestay Nepal

Homestay Nepal
Ranked #1 of 3 Kirtipur B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 14, 2014

For most people on a budget getting cheap accommodation is a high priority - So staying in a low cost hotel in the run down tourist ghetto of Thamel is pretty much your only option. But lets face it, Kathmandu central is a horrible place to stay!

Nepal is a country of such beauty and diversity that it seems a shame to start your trip down a polluted side street. Step in Homestay Nepal! Now in case you're thinking I'm being paid for this review I'm not. I just think people aren't aware of what's really on offer in the Kathmandu Valley.

As a writer I try to find inspirational places wherever I go and when I came to Nepal as I was horrified by the state of Kathmandu city and the idea of being bussed around on busy overpriced tourist treks to the mountains.

I have stayed with Babu and his family three times since May 2013, and although it may not be the cheapest place to stay, each time I get the most friendly welcome, excellent service, clean comfortable rooms and bathrooms and as much food as I can eat during breakfast and dinner, add to this free wifi, free laundry, and mineral water and it isn't actually more expensive than the cheap places.

This year I was taken on a new five Day, four night trek walking directly from the homestay, without any transport. By lunchtime on the first day I felt like I had crossed into a different world or at least a different country. Villages that looked like they had been taken straight out a film set, Scenery that would have been more in place in Scandinavia, the french hills or the italian lakes, and friendly people who had never seen a tourist before, offering tea, and food, and breathtaking scenery.

So take my advice, give Thamel a miss, and try something new.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank alanorr
BabuR_11, Owner at Homestay Nepal, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Guest Thank you very much for the nice review of my honestay I hope we will see you again soon. Best Wishes Babu Raja, Owner, Homestay Nepal

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Babu and Belku are such a great couple. I feel like I experienced the real Nepal, with village life and Babu's expertise in my 11 day trip. I loved spending a day in the village with Belku, working in her garden meeting family and seeing the different homes. What an authentic experience.
Friends for life!!

Room Tip: the back room, with sunrising views and a private balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Tarynwalker
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This is oure second time with Babu in Nepal. He is a great guid and a fantastic host. We felt like old friends from the first time. Evening walks i the village and visit in naibors old house gave us a fantastic week. Yes and Belkos kocking is fantastic!!! Dalbat power 24 pure! Best Dalbat i Nepal!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thomas J
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed 9 nights at Babu's in two separate stays and we really felt like part of the family. We were there during festival time and participated in their family ceremonies, including being invited to Babu's parents house. It was great and a real experience.

Needless to day, Belko (Babu's wife) cooked great meals and his extended family in the village acted as our guides on the trips we took to Kathmandu and the surrounding areas.

If you are looking for a real family stay. this is it!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mike_m_mayer
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My friend and I stayed here after our Everest Base Camp Trek. After a gruelling time on the mountain it was quite wonderful to stay with Babu, Belku and their children. Their home is just lovely and by far the most comfortable place we stayed in Nepal.

Belku's cooking is surely the best in the World. I wanted to take her back to London with me to open a Nepalese restaurant, but Babu was not agreeable to that idea 8-). One day we sat on the roof terrace and you could smell the beautiful cooking from where we sat - magical.

The family are so genuine and so keen to tell you about and show you their life. You really do leave their home as friends rather than just guests. I found Nepalese people as a whole to be so friendly - and this family must be the friendliest in Nepal.

We walked locally and found the villagers to be ever so friendly. Unlike many poorer countries, we found no begging or hassling. If someone stops here to talk to you, then that is what they just want to do - talk. If you want to experience the real rural Nepal, then this is the way to do it. In addition, the home is so close to Kathmandu that you can easily see all of the tourist sites from here.

Before coming here we stayed for a few nights in the Thamel area of Kathmandu. There are lots of hotels and home stays there too, but be warned, they are not the same. With Babu and Belku you can relax and enjoy fabulous, quiet sleeps. If you stay in Kathmandu be prepared for 24/7 noise and the most awful pollution (I can still taste the fumes). I will most certainly go back to Nepal with my family and I will organise everything with Babu.

One tip as well is that Babu's brother has a Homestay in Pokhara, enabling you to do a two venue holiday. We met Babu's brother and, like Babu, he is a fantastic man.

Babu. Belku and family - thank you for the best holiday ever.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Keithgallois
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Babu and Belku treated us as family. They helped us organising our trip giving us all the facilites. The food is excellent. They are the best way to get to know the culture as they would share all their knowledge and experiences with the guests. Amazing sunrises in a quiet place out of the polluted Kathmandu is definitely priceless.

Thanks a lot!!

Jordi&Mireia

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank serradesanferm
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I arrived in Kathmandu at 11pm with my two kids (8 and 10) and were taken straight to Babu's - had no idea what to expect and our stay exceeded my expectations in every way. Babu, Belku and their two gorgeous kids were amazing and welcoming and friendly and genuine and helpful. The village was beautiful and soooo much nicer than staying in the city. We felt free and safe and very much part of the family. The food was great, the people staying there were great and they really did help relieve any stresses I may have arrived with travelling alone with two relatively young kids (who had a ball too!) Thank you so much, we will DEFINITELY be back....!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tashlawton

Been to Homestay Nepal? Share your experiences!