“Wonderful time”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lephalale
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful time”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Spent quite some time in this hotel for business purposes and it was good. Very nice staff, with nice food and neat and clean rooms. The issue I found was the TV size was a bit small and the channel options with a bit poor. Internet could be a little faster as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Middletown, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Several of my colleagues have stayed here in the past and were happy with their stay. As the hotel is one of the first buildings one sees when driving in from the Pretoria and the south, the well-lit parking lot was a welcome sight the first night I arrived there.

The friendly and courteous staff greeted me as soon as I stepped through the door. Check in was smooth and easy. The hotel information says there are a 100+ rooms; most are on the ground level and a short walk from the main desk.

As I left the main desk I walked past a pretty courtyard with a bubbling fountain and several tables. There are palms trees and green shrubbery surrounding the courtyard. I have had several enjoyable meals from the hotel restaurant there.

The hotel room door has electronic key card for entry. I had no problems with the key cards (except the one time I left it in my room).

The staff is exceptionally friendly and after a few days many recognized me and remembered my preferences. They seem to always have a smile and their lilting sing-song greeting “Morning-morning” is so nice.

The room is nice; a queen size bed with a firm mattress, four pillows of varying firmness that made finding the one that was "just right" easy. Clean crisp white sheets, a nice quilt, and a duvet make sleeping pleasant. An air conditioner with an excellent hand held remote kept the room temperature just the way I wanted and allowed me to make adjustments as needed from the comfort of my bed.

A metal and glass French door opened to the small brick paver porch with a pair of wicker chairs and a table. The porch overlooked a large grass courtyard.

The bathroom had a large mirror and a window that opened to an external courtyard. The sink was recessed into a large countertop that provided plenty of room for my travelling needs. The shower provided exceptional water flow and the hot water has consistently exceeded my expectations; although occasionally the water has been tinted brown. A small glass partition attempts to keep the water in the combination bath tub shower, but the rock tiled floor always seems to be wet when I step out. The plush clean white bath mat absorbs most of the offending water. The rock tiles are just rough enough that slipping does not seem to be a problem. But do please be careful.

My bathroom did not appear to have an electrical outlet in it, so if you have an electric razor or an electric hair dryer things might be a little complicated.

Lighting for the room is provided by overhead lights controlled by light switches by the door to the room, one for the light over the bed, one for the light over the desk, and one for the light in the bathroom. So, before you head to the bathroom in the middle of the night turn the switch on by the door, before you get to the bathroom and find there is no light switch there (I am still working on remembering that). Fortunately the smoke-tinted window in the bathroom allows enough light in for the more basic needs.

My room also has two lights mounted on the wall next to the headboard, but again no electrical outlets on the wall behind the headboard, so power for your alarm clock or computer may be a problem. Somehow this trip I ended up traveling with an extension cord that solved the problem for me. (Note to self: add extension cord to travelling list.) And if you are from outside the Republic of South Africa make sure you have the correct power converter.

An armoire provides hanging space for shirts and such. A metal safe with a programmable electronic lock provides storage for valuables. A long counter in the main room serves as a desk. A mini-frig is under one end of the desk counter. A wooden chair serves well for work at the desk. A window above the desk also allowed fresh air and light in. This window had wooden venetian blinds, that also let in the morning light on those mornings I did not have to be anywhere early in the morning. Unfortunately, none of the windows had screens in them so I kept them closed most of the time.

Above one end of the desk is a wall mounted television. The wall mount allows the TV to be directed toward the bed or toward the desk. But if you move from one area to the other, remember to realign the TV before you get comfortable, and be careful you just might knock your head on the TV mount if you are not careful.

Now my biggest complaint, there are very limited television channels only 13 (half of which are sports mainly, football (soccer), rugby, and cricket). There is wireless internet access, sometimes access can be spotty, but normally access is ok.

The hotel has a fine restaurant in the main building and another just to the side of the main doors. I am also happy with both of those eating establishments, and hope to add a review for each of those restaurants soon. Several of the other reviews of this hotel talk about the restaurant. One spoke of the good coffee and I agree the coffee is very good, a little on the strong side but amazingly flavorful and not bitter at all. Another review spoke highly of the breakfast. That too is true. You can have breakfast off a buffet that is well stocked or order off the menu. Take our advice have the buffet. (Note to self: write one review about the restaurant, and one review about the buffet.)

Please do not become worried by my trivial complaints. Check in and check it out, and enjoy your stay.

I am happy with my accommodations; and especially by the friendly, helpful staff at the hotel. I look forward to my next trip and another stay at the Palm Park Hotel.
:{>

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

There aren't many restaurants in Lephalale but the Palm Park Hotel as a pleasant restaurant with good food. You can eat inside, on the terrace (sadly overlooks car park), or in the pleasant courtyard. Don't normally enjoy buffets but food was very good, freshly prepared with just the right amount of choice. Staff were friendly and efficient and made me feel relaxed and welcome.

Room Tip: Although the terrace over looks the car park, its great that its sprayed with a cool mist as Lephala...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

It was extremely difficult to find good old coffee and espresso in South Africa. I was so delighted to see the massive coffee/espresso maker in the dining area they sat us in. This impromptu lunch stop was a pleasant surprise. The latte was delicious, I had two. Being a vegeterian makes meals a little difficult but I had a few options. The quiche was ok. I also ordered a take-away meal for my boyfriend and they packaged it up well for the long ride home to the bush. Service was friendly and not too slow. If you're in the area and want to rest your feet, grab a bite and some drinks then stop here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Polokwane, South Africa
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel is situated on the main road into Lephalale. The reception staff very friendly and helpful. This hotel has the best breakfast in Lephalale, and it's such a good feeling to be offered a bottle of water at reception after a hard days work.

The rooms are very clean, comfortable beds and mini fridge in the room.

Room Tip: Room 13 and 17 were great because they are next to restaurant and close to breakfast. Modern finishe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Dineo_m
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed June 30, 2013

What a lovely surprise to find this little oasis in such a busy town - it was better than many 4 star places! The staff and management have truly got it right on every call - Friendly welcoming staff in a spotlessly clean hotel where everything works and everybody makes such an effort to keep things going well!
From reception and housekeeping to restaurant and gardens (beautifully manicured), people were doing their jobs most efficiently, with smiles on their faces and great positive attitudes.
We felt safe and secure on the premises and enjoyed the fact that we had a choice of two eateries on our doorstep without having to drive anywhere for a bite to eat.
Our bed was comfy and welcoming (and warm on a fairly chilly day) and the bathroom had everything we needed.
Food in the in-house restaurant was home-style comfort food, very well prepared and tasty.
I have no hesitation recommending this establishment and we would definitely stay again if we were in the area!
Well done to everyone, we wish you all much success in your future!

Room Tip: We had an inner courtyard room which was remarkably quiet considering the main roads and traffic out...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Megmara
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've stayed on business trip and tought it was a very convenient hotel. Decent rooms, has two restaurants on site and not too noisey considering proximity to main road. Staff seemed friendly and helpful. Would recommend as a business hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Palm Park Hotel? Share your experiences!