“Great service, nice room, but nothing special for the price paid!”

Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Blue Ridge
Fort Payne, Alabama
“Great service, nice room, but nothing special for the price paid!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed 2 nights for labor day weekend while we went rafting in nearby Ducktown. The room was fine and check in was easy. We had a little problem with noisy neighbors at first but called the front desk and it was taken care of. Bonnie and Abba were very accommodating. The breakfast was good, but the bed was a bit too firm for my taste but that's just my personal preference. I only wish they had a pool!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Beth P
ComfortInn_BlueRidge, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for visiting us, it is always productive to have feedback from our guests.
We hope to see you again soon.
Gabrielle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Union City, Tennessee
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Where to start. We had reservation for 3 nights. Checking in went OK, but from there it was pretty much a down hill run. Arrived at the hotel between 12:30 and 1:00 on a Wednesday. We were able to check in which was good. While I unloaded our luggage my wife waited in the lobby. Once we headed back to the car my wife said that the whole time she had been seated in the lobby the person behind the desk never said a word to her. Now, this is part of the problem with this and our other visits to this hotel. I have never felt welcome or appreciated as a customer at this location. Anyway, we went out and ran around a bit, had some dinner and then headed back to the room.

When we got to the room we got our computers out and tried to connect to the "free wireless". After about a dozen failed attempts or getting connected and booted right off we gave up on that. The signal was either poor or non-existent so I started our mobile hot-spot and we used that. Never could get connected so we just used our hot spot the entire time.

At about 8 or so we start hearing the noise. A TV in the room on one side and a bunch of kids running and yelling on the other. At 11 both are still going strong. It is a hotel and I understand both people wanting to watch TV and the kids play, but at the same time some consideration would be nice. Just seems that the walls are not at all sound proof. So what to do to get some rest, downloaded an app for my tablet that has all types of sleep sounds. Rain,wind, streams, and the like so we turn it up to the point in mask most of the noise and finally get some sleep.

On Thusday we head out to explore some more. In addition to this we go buy a fan to use to mask the noise the rest of our stay. We get back from eating and plan to rest and relax, but it is not to be, noise and more noise. Glad we got the fan, we are going to need it. We get it out and turn it on. It does mask most of the noise and again we are able to rest some.

Friday comes and we head out again. We had put the "do not disturb" sign out the night before and the hotel staff had slid a card under the door stating that if we wanted the room cleaned or linens or whatever to remove the DND sign before 2:00PM. We left at 11:30, removing the sign as we headed out. We drove to several different place and wound up having dinner in Blairsville and then heading back to the hotel arriving around 4:30. First thing that we noticed was that nothing had been done to the room. Nothing. Anyway, just kind of gave up at this point. We were both a bit tired and decided to rest a bit before doing anything about this. Well, resting was out of the question.We can hear the TV again on one side and it sound like someone doing gymnastics above us. I mean I know it is only 4:30 but still. Anyway we put up with the noise until a little after 6:00 and decide that enough is enough. We pack everything up and load the car.

I go to check out explaining my displeasure with the hotel and the customer service it provides. They tell me that I will have to pay for the night and that they are sorry for my bad experience. I knew that I was going to have to pay. The only thing that I can say about that is that it was worth paying for the 3rd night and driving home since we were finally able to get a good nights rest.

As for the hotel. Like I said, I have never felt that there was any true level of customer service short of taking your money and the cursory comments like hello and thanks. We have traveled for business and pleasure for 40 plus years and this is only the second hotel that I have ever checked out of. The first time I was smarter because I did so within 20 minutes of checking in. This time I let the hotel and staff just wear me down before doing something about it. This is actually one of the nicer hotels as for as rooms go in the area. However, the bottom line is that beyond that they really offer nothing else. I will not be going back. I will not recommend it to friends or family and anyone that ask me about it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Skip P
ComfortInn_BlueRidge, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your 3 days with us.
We thank you for the feedback and we will review your comments with our staff.
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you want to stay in Blue Ridge, other than in a cabin, this is a logical choice. The location is something a premium hotel chain would crave. Rooms at the front overlook the valley housing the Historic District and the Scenic Railroad Depot with mountain vistas beyond. It is a 2 minute drive to nice shopping and good eating. The back rooms have largely unspoiled mountain vistas affording awesome sunsets.

The lobby and check in area is neat and evening check in staff are efficient. The rooms are large with decent sized bathrooms, flat screen TV'S and comfortable beds. The more expensive units have refrigerators and microwaves.

I cannot flatter the ladies that prepare the included breakfast enough. They keep the area spotless. The food is par for this type of hotel but they never let anything run out. Terrific for a busy hostelry.

So what needs fine tuning? For a start, I called three times for reservations only to get voice mail and a call back promise. I suppose I could have called the corporate line but even so, this is not good enough.

Now we stayed two nights, the second night representing a change in plans. On the first night, we had a room with a king sized bed. The towels provided only permitted one shower each so if one had a busy sweaty tourist day, too bad. Would they have sent up more towels? But the fine tuning needed was in bathroom maintenance. I had to reattach the toilet flapper chain to the lever multiple times in order to flush. During the night, the toilet ran with strange noises keeping us awake until we closed the bathroom door

On our second stay, we had a room with two queen beds. Having settled in, we found two inches of drainage gook in the bathroom sink. It seems the adjacent room had a plumbing problem and in clearing their drain, this horrible mess found it's way into our sink. My wife was revolted but luckily , we were able to move to another room, again with two queen beds. This time there were four bath towels.

So this is a good choice but it could be much better with just a tad more attention to detail. They have a so called satisfaction guarantee but apparently, our experiences did not warrant even a minor adjustment.

Regrettably, the hotel does not have a pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ComfortInn_BlueRidge, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear guest:

We don't want our guests to have issue with the plumbing and I am sorry these unforeseen incidents happened to you while staying with us for 2 nights. As part of our Green Hotel approach, Single King rooms have 2 sets of towels and Double Queens have 4 sets of towels but, we are happy to deliver additional towels upon request.

Thank you for staying with us and providing feedback.

Brandon, Mississippi
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We paid $106 for a night driving through. No microwave, no refrigerator, disgusting breakfast. Not very clean, hair in the bathtub. Not again when you can get a better deal in Blairsville or at a clean cabin.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
ComfortInn_BlueRidge, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Guest:

I am sorry that your opinion of our breakfast is negative and that we did not meet your expectations.
Blairsville is 22 miles away from Blue Ridge and it does not offer the same outdoor amenities.

We hope to have the opportunity to host your next visit to the area.

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights, July 2013. Upon check in and inquiring about a non-pet room due to allergies, the clerk was short with me, but the supervisor was very nice.
The room was utilitarian, no decor to speak of. The room was quiet, and the bed comfortable.
The housekeeping was nominal; for example, I didn't request a change of sheets one day so the bed went unmade. The coffee pot was untouched. Lint dropped on the carpet remained for the duration.
The towels were very thin. Thin plastic glasses for water. Flimsy liners for ice bucket. It felt like a Motel 6.
The sink backed up and ran slow. I reported it in the morning, and the clerk said it would be fixed that day. It continued to run slow.
Breakfast was offered; I had boiled eggs and bagels but took them to my room as the tables were never wiped. In fact, tablecloths from a party Sat night were still on the tables the next morning.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LeeDonna
Dear guest:

It is unfortunate you did not have a good stay with us. I will address the issue about your room with the head housekeeper.
I am sorry you did not like the standard room items selected by Choice Hotels for all Comfort Inns and I did have the maintenance staff look into your sink problem.

The tables and the tablecloths (that were washed and put back on the tables) were still there in the morning because we did not want to make a lot of noise between 10:00pm, when the party ended, and 6:00am when our breakfast starts and our guests are asleep.

Those tables have to be rolled back into the storage room by snapping the legs back into place and it can be a very noisy process. We left them in the breakfast area intentionally to avoid disturbing the guests on the ground floor and the rooms above the breakfast area.

Regards,
Stephens
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice. It is clean, decorated nicely, and the staff is very friendly. There is a nice area in the back where you can watch the sunset or sit and read if the weather is nice.

• Stayed June 2013
ComfortInn_BlueRidge, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
We are very glad you enjoyed our view of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.
Thank you for staying with us and maybe next time you will catch the mountains with the fall colors or with snow when they even more beautiful :)

Regards,
Tampa
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Coming from the downtown area with a GPS that came and went, we couldn't locate this hotel. I was told that signs are north and south but we never saw them. Meanwhile, upon checking in we had a beautiful room. No problems other than the phone in our room was not working. Our window had an outstanding view of the Blue Ridge. No newspapers are available in the hotel, but that's not a big deal. Very good breakfast with lots of variety.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the view of blue ridge