“Expensive!!!!”

Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
Ranked #3 of 43 things to do in Blue Ridge
More attraction details
Owner description: A great family adventure on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway (BRSR) starts at the historic depot, built in 1905, in downtown Blue Ridge, Georgia. This charming mountain village is nestled in the lush Chattahoochee National Forest and is known for it’s pleasant and unique shopping with friendly folks and an old-time atmosphere. Total excursion is 26 miles (4 hours round-trip) winding along the beautiful Toccoa River in passenger’s choice of vintage, climate controlled rail cars or open-air rail cars arriving in the quaint sister towns of McCaysville, Georgia and Copperhill, Tennessee. Passengers have a 2 hour layover in McCaysville/Copperhill; plenty of time to eat lunch, shop for unique crafts and antiques, snack on ice cream, or walk across the old bridge in town to view the river.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I went on this trip with my wife and 3 kids. The sights were wonderful going from stop to stop. But to pay $160 for the trip was insane. No one was on the train telling about what we were passing and when I asked the only worker on our car her answer every time was "I don't know." I am glad the kids had fun, but this was not worth the money. At All! Drive to the other town in 20 minutes and save your money.

2  Thank NeatPete75

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I think everyone likes a trainride. As the persons working on the train will tell you: "Yes, this is a real train." It was a real train, the staff was very helpful and friendly. We need more trains throughout the USA.

1  Thank Sheryl H
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Over rated, too expensive, train ride is not long enough and the town of McCaysville is poor and doesn't offer much of anything, last time we were there and ate at the Mexican Restaurant got very sick, dirty. Too much money for what they offer. Walk around Blue Ridge instead.

5  Thank Margie K
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The train departs from Blue Ridge Ga and ends in two small towns that are basically joined together even though they are in separate states(McCaysville Ga/Copperhill Tn). The distance is 13 miles and takes an hour. You can choose to sit on benches in an open air car or ride in an enclosed air conditioned car in booth type sitting. There are some old buildings to look at along the way and you pass by a river with a guide type employee in your car explaining the history of some of the scenery. Nothing outstanding, When you reach your destination, there is a two hour layover to allow you to walk around these two small towns to shop, view the sights and possibly get something to eat. The only problem with this is a lot of the shops were closed down and the restaurants where you can get something to eat were a little pricey for what they had to offer. A marker designates where the two state lines meet. Cool to stand in front of it with one foot in Ga and the other foot in Tn. Back on the train for the one hour ride back to Blue Ridge. If you want to visit McCaysville Ga/Copperhill Tn, just drive there and save a lot of money and time by not taking the train ride.

2  Thank Eddie W
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was only the second train ride we had been on (the first was a dud-only on the train for 20-25 minutes of a one hour excursion) and we really enjoyed it!! This train ride is an hour one way, layover in a small double town (McCaysville, Ga/Copperhill, TN) for two hours, then an hour back. In my opinion, the two hours was a bit long since the double town is really kind of small, but my husband and I enjoyed getting away for the day. I wouldn't recommend this trip for little ones (under the age of 3) because the hour on the train can get tedious, then the walk around town can be a handful if you have a cranky baby), but for the most part, the trip was very enjoyable. The twilight trip (which is the one we were on) runs from 4-8 pm Ga time and by the time we got off the train and walked to some of the shops, they were closed for the day. On a Saturday, when the train runs that late, I think they may want to rethink their closing times. We really did enjoy our trip though and will probably do this again in the next year or so.

2  Thank Nicki H