“Not so scenic!”

Blue Ridge Scenic Railway
Ranked #3 of 39 things to do in Blue Ridge
More attraction details
Owner description: A great family adventure on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway (BRSR) starts at the historic depot, built in 1905, in downtown Blue Ridge, Georgia. This charming mountain village is nestled in the lush Chattahoochee National Forest and is known for it’s pleasant and unique shopping with friendly folks and an old-time atmosphere. Total excursion is 26 miles (4 hours round-trip) winding along the beautiful Toccoa River in passenger’s choice of vintage, climate controlled rail cars or open-air rail cars arriving in the quaint sister towns of McCaysville, Georgia and Copperhill, Tennessee. Passengers have a 2 hour layover in McCaysville/Copperhill; plenty of time to eat lunch, shop for unique crafts and antiques, snack on ice cream, or walk across the old bridge in town to view the river.
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not so scenic!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Blue Ridge Scenic Railway not so friendly. Don't show up without a prepaid ticket. Despite their stated policy: "Pick up prepaid tickets 45 minutes prior to departure and any unclaimed tickets WILL be resold 15 minutes prior to departure." You will not be allowed to purchase a ticket at the ticket office 15 minutes prior to departure. Will drive to Chattanooga and ride the choo choo!

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Matthew U

atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Never again!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Planned for over a month to take my family to celebrate my baby's 4th birthday (his birthday is Christmas so thought this would be perfect) bought tickets online a month ahead of time only to come to prepaid to pick them up to be told we were seated in open air! It's 23 degrees outside with my grandmother, parents, and 3 small kids- we paid more to book online but besides freezing to death we wouldn't even be a part of the Christmas festivities that we booked for oh and no refunds :(
Very very disappointed!

10 Thank kikismommy
Ranger
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Enjoyable, but not really worth the money”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We booked the evening Santa train ride to McCaysville/Copperhill. It is a one hour ride, then a two-hour layover to shop and get dinner, and then a one-hour return ride. Santa and Mrs. Claus came through the car and posed for a picture and gave my 8-year old daughter a bell and a candy cane. Then, The Grinch, a Xmas tree, a gingerbread woman and an elf came through and posed for pictures and sang "Jingle Bells", which was nice. I was disappointed that I paid so much for our tickets and instead of offering free hot chocolate for the passengers, it was $1.00 per small cup. I never travel with any cash, only my checkcard, but luckily I had enough change to buy at least one hot chocolate for my daughter while my husband and I did without. When we arrived at the layover, we walked around and decided to eat at "Patrick's Pub & Grill", which was a BIG mistake. The food was the quality of Quik Trip, overpriced and the service was terrible for $40. We went to several different gift shops, but they were nothing more than what a cheap convenient store would have to offer. It is obvious that the ONLY business this town obtains is from the tourists coming in on the train. I do not think they EVER get repeat visitors. I went back to board the train and we stopped at the pavilion for my daughter to tell Santa what she wanted for Xmas and it just seemed to be "off". My daughter handed Santa her letter she wrote with the gifts she wanted and he did take the time to read it, but he didn't seem like he really even wanted to be there, and he didn't even keep her letter that she put a lot of effort into, he just handed it back to her. Afterwards my daughter told me that the Santas that she has visited in the past were always very happy and glad to see her and this one seemed irritated. I was disappointed as we boarded the train and wasn't happy that I spent $96.30 for our tickets for THIS and $40 for a terrible dinner and the fact that this is probably the last year that my daughter will believe in Santa and this unhappy Santa is the last impression that she has in her mind. We waited on the train until it was time to depart and they didn't turn off the inside car lights so you couldn't see anyone's Xmas lights on the way back and there was no heat so we were freezing. I really think this trip should be priced at half the cost.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank dianefireeyes
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun, fun, fun!!”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Great outing for the whole family. An old fashioned, genuine, ride the rails experience. Wonderful experience for the kids (or adults) who may have never ridden a "real" train with a "real" locomotive. Spectacular scenery!

1 Thank DBS49
Cherry Log, GA
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“slow down in the north Georgia mountains”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

What a great way to spend an afternoon. The leisurely ride from Blue Ridge to McCayesville was very enjoyable. The layover was long enough to explore both Mcayesville and Copperhill. The staff was very informative about the area and also made the trip fun.

Visited May 2012